Converting a GT40 into a Dino 206SP

Re: German GT40 interpretation

The last thing I did was the panels around the taillight panel, and this is really a step forward...with the almost finished metalwork of the bonnet and tail I feel like I have done the most difficult and significant parts of the Dino:

Attachments

• IMG_3639.JPG
    IMG_3639.JPG
    637.9 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_3643.JPG
    IMG_3643.JPG
    652.2 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_3644.JPG
    IMG_3644.JPG
    631.5 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_3651.JPG
    IMG_3651.JPG
    691.6 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_3657.JPG
    IMG_3657.JPG
    655.7 KB · Views: 393

Hi Pierre-Louis

yes, there is progress, sorry for not showing. I have moved my publishing activities to

A Dino 206 build - All MetalShaping

because I felt too bad hacking a GT40 and convert it into an "F"-thing ;-)

Here are some current pics of the car:

Many thanks for asking!
Axel

Very nice... ! Gonna be a real head-turner as soon as put on the road. I'm playing by now with some metal sheets, and I can see how far I'm from you ! Keep up the good work !

Thanks Pierre, I am also no professional and some panels took a lot of time and I produced a lot of scrab...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Some amazing work being done here!!! You've come a very long way! :thumbsup:

Thanks Randy, there is even more progress to it but the car is stuck very deep in my garage at the moment, gotta wait til spring to free it and take it out for new pics ;-)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

I just spent the last 45 minutes reading your whole thread over on the allmetalshaping forum... I am genuinely impressed.. :thumbsup:
Great another forum for me to spend time on!!! :shocked:

I just spent the last 45 minutes reading your whole thread over on the allmetalshaping forum... I am genuinely impressed.. :thumbsup:
Great another forum for me to spend time on!!! :shocked:

Tell me about it! Axel, truly incredible work and a real inspiration to me and I'm sure a lot of other builders. Guess I need to start looking for more tools. :2thumbsup:

Hi Axel, I have followed this build from the begining and realy enjoy it. if you feel bad about the GT40 hacking why don't you move it to the "Wheels Wings and Keels" section of the forum. You would more than fit in as we have all sorts of scratch builds, planes, Boats and some really cool car's, your build is right up our alley.

Cheers Leon.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

I will move it for Axel if he wishes.. Since it started life as a GT40, it may belong here.. I'm good with it either way.

This is silly as these (GT40's) are all recreations

it is a GT40 chassis with a different body, so why not leave it.

I find this project much more interesting than the majority of the KIT builds here.

Thanks guys, it is right, the chassis is 100% made for a GT40, with Ford Scorpio/Granada/Taunus steering/braking/suspension components and I will not change that. It is just that the body is a scratchbuild non-GT40 thing, so it will be ok for me if we leaye it in this section, and it catches attention as I can see from your comments, thanks.

Finally...

...it seems like winter is over already, so I pulled the car out of the workshop for the first time this year.
I wasn't inactive, I did many little things like flanges, reinforcements, brackets and other smaller things which I thought is not worth showing, but I decided to wait with the bigger panels until I can pull out the car in the sun to have a better view on the proportions and the flow of the panels...inside the shop is too dark and you don't have too many angles of view.
Btw, I found very nice taillights, the glas is from Karmann Ghia Type 34- quite pricy and rare- but they do look excellent, and the chrome is from Fiat (850 Coupe I guess). They work good together.

Now next comes the front fenders, front airintake and the bonnet...I am doing a 2 days metalshaping class next weekend, hope that helps me moving forward!

I love that rearview!!

Thanks for watching guys!

Ok...long time no updates, but now I've had two weeks vacation and spent some time in the workshop to get any further with my build.
I cut a sunroof in my Mini MK2, and used the Mini roof metal for my front hood with some modification with the EW.

Then I built the upper surfaces for the front fenders and the lower sections left and right to the front intake.

I located the air outlet and cut it out:

I made templates for the transition panels upper surfaces to left and right side:

And finally built the fender sides:

checking the symmetry:

and checking the reflections:

and built the last panels which close the front end, there will be a cutout fot the headlights, but I prefer having the final metalbody before cutting details in:

...almost done!

Some pics from the latest status with some little corrections:

It sometimes amazes me how close I am:

I have never seen the original car live, I only saw photos, the whole build is done after photos, and I thought it will never be as beautiful as the real thing, but I love my result, and although it will not be a 100% copy of the original it is some kind of beautiful shape with my own taste added to it...quite proud :)

Great work How are the body parts going to be attached to the body? Once finished you should pop a fiberglass mold off of it.

Back