Crankshaft Manufacture

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Amazing Darren... Good find!

Makes you wonder if Knife-Edging a crankshaft is really worth all the work.. After all, if it was, you'd think they would have added that little operation into the mix eh?

On the Knife-Edging a crankshaft ......
Twenty years ago when I ran a winged sprint car.
I built my own motors.
After spending a lot of time grinding on things.
And since I had Budweiser as a sponsor, I took everything in to the same shop
that B. Little took all the stuff for the Miss Budweiser team.
When the shop owner saw that I had knife-edged the crank ....
he said nobody does that any more.
That's what he said.
The reason was, if your off, it cost so much extra to add weight etc. etc.
Well I still did it !
And it didn't end up costing any more as I had ground it close enough to be right.

Any way, that's what I was told !
On a real race eng. I still do it !

Cheers !

Curtis

Its really amazing to me that a lot of the really deep cuts are being made without coolant. Others such as tapping operations are done also without it. It appears at times that the turnings are coming off the tool pretty hot, especially on some of those deep cuts.
I think that is a 5 axis machine with live tooling, I haven't seen one like that in person, but something close, and it always amazes me how many tools are stored in the changer.
Especially noteworthy is the spindle speed increasing as the cut diameter gets smaller to maintain uniform stock speed at the tool.
Thanks for posting Darren
Cheers
Phil

I think for demo purposes they did not use coolant; so that the machining operation was visible to the camera and not hidden in the usual cloud of swarf and spray.

Haven't watched the video yet, but it's my understanding that ceramic cutters don't use coolant - perhaps that's what they were using...

To Darren, and all the other guys from the UK.

Go to the MachIinary exabition ( sorry I cant spell) at the NEC late June early July

I have seen machines like that one, demonstrating their full capabiliteis, and many more really clever machines....

Its a really good day out. Entry is free.....

Chris:

You are correct about ceramics. No coolant required. At one of my former employers we used ceramics for one whole job. It took a 2 1/2 hour job with carbide down to 9 minutes and 20 seconds. Ceramics are expensive around 30 bucks an insert. Some were custom ground with only one edge.

They are cool to watch ribbons of molten chips

Darnel A.

Supporter
On the Knife-Edging a crankshaft ......
Twenty years ago when I ran a winged sprint car.
I built my own motors.
After spending a lot of time grinding on things.
And since I had Budweiser as a sponsor, I took everything in to the same shop
that B. Little took all the stuff for the Miss Budweiser team.
When the shop owner saw that I had knife-edged the crank ....
he said nobody does that any more.

I Beg to differ also, Curtis. Here is a picture of my Bryant NASCAR Crank. As you can clearly see in the pictures, it has a nice knife-edge to it.

Darnel

Attachments

• !Bkku,-Q!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKiIEsmlpMTHFBLYIZi(dFg~~_12.jpg
    !Bkku,-Q!Wk~$(KGrHqIOKiIEsmlpMTHFBLYIZi(dFg~~_12.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 191
  • !BkkugLQBmk~$(KGrHqUOKkUEtKdqeq5LBLYIZwfwCw~~_12.jpg
    !BkkugLQBmk~$(KGrHqUOKkUEtKdqeq5LBLYIZwfwCw~~_12.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 181
Back