Steve's RCR GT40 Build

Klaf

Supporter
Only used 1.
IMG_5872.png

Klaf

Supporter
I finally made some real progress. With the throw out bearing cut, I was able to tackle the engine. I managed to pound in the pilot bearing without deforming it like before. The throw out bearing fit nicely.
IMG_5863.jpeg

The clutch was assembled for the second time. And no joy getting the transaxle to go in. I removed everything to test the fit of the transaxle shaft into the pilot. It went in with ease. So, I put the clutch back on for the third time. I cut the bolt heads off some longer screws and used them to guide the trans to the engine. This time it finally went.
IMG_5867.jpeg

Today, I was able to fit the engine and set the plates into the chassis. Yeah!!
IMG_5891.jpeg
IMG_5902.jpeg
IMG_5904.jpeg

Klaf

Supporter
The RCR manual shows these white nylon plugs into the cross member and I think 3/8 bolts. I temporarily held the trans up with 1/2 inch bolts that just fit. Any thoughts on which method is better? If I stick with the 1/2 inch bolts, I was going to get grade 8 or better that aren’t fully threaded. I also need to cut some metal bushings. Here are some pics that show what I’m talking about.
IMG_5905.png
IMG_5909.png
IMG_5906.jpeg

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
If you can remove the bushing and turn you spacers to fit in the recess. Use grade 8 bolts as you describe.
Just curious… Does you oil pan sit below the chassis?

Klaf

Supporter
I feel like I’m making progress but haven’t posted much because nothing is completed. Just small baby steps. I had to take the engine out again. I couldn’t get the stupid crankshaft pulley on with engine in place. So that’s 3 times. I’m trying to keep it under 50 by the time this is finished.
IMG_6041.jpeg

I also fit the starter.
IMG_6046.jpeg
IMG_6055.jpeg

I used my poor man’s stand up lathe again.
IMG_6049.jpeg
IMG_6051.jpeg
IMG_6054.jpeg

Metal spacers are on the way.

Klaf

Supporter
I put the spave cylinder on and connected it to the arm. The bleeder screw is 3/8 but has a 45 degree end. I am trying to figure out what the other hole is. Some online say it’s 3/8 NPT fine thread. But I can easily put the bleeder screw into that hole. The end of the clutch line looks like a -4AN. How have some of you connected these? I was given premade hose with I think -4AN female ends. But it’s 1.5 ft long Does anyone hook these up with hardline? Thanks for the opinions in advance.
IMG_6074.jpeg
IMG_6072.jpeg
IMG_6073.jpeg

Hi Steve,
The build looks like it is going well. I should get my car in March now and I will be at RCR the end of February to see it before it ships.
Excellent work Steve,
Marty

I put the spave cylinder on and connected it to the arm. The bleeder screw is 3/8 but has a 45 degree end. I am trying to figure out what the other hole is. Some online say it’s 3/8 NPT fine thread. But I can easily put the bleeder screw into that hole. The end of the clutch line looks like a -4AN. How have some of you connected these? I was given premade hose with I think -4AN female ends. But it’s 1.5 ft long Does anyone hook these up with hardline? Thanks for the opinions in advance. View attachment 135525View attachment 135526View attachment 135527
Everything is looking top notch Steve! I especially like all the use your getting out of that drill press. Keep the photos coming.

Klaf

Supporter
Here is my quarterly update. It’s not because I haven’t been putting in the time. My build has actually become obsessive. I’ll start where I left off.
IMG_6188.jpeg
IMG_6041.jpeg

I used the alternator and bracket from CVF. It needed tons of modification.
IMG_6063.jpeg

The teeth of the fan needed to be ground down and the helm joints and rod shortened.
IMG_6391.jpeg

The air conditioning compressor bracket from RCR would not work at all for me.
IMG_6293.jpeg
IMG_6298.jpeg
IMG_6299.jpeg

Klaf

Supporter
The air conditioning from Vintage finally arrived.
IMG_6204.jpeg
IMG_6206.jpeg
IMG_6233.jpeg

Getting these out of the way from under the dash is a real bitch. Not fun at all.
IMG_6203.jpeg

IMG_6367.jpeg
IMG_6366.jpeg
IMG_6207.jpeg

I cut, reversed and epoxied the offending bumps to allow the evaporator to sit flush under the dash.

IMG_6365.jpeg

IMG_6241.jpeg

IMG_6240.jpeg

Klaf

Supporter
More AC, copiied from Kurbmeister again
IMG_6285.jpeg
IMG_6286.jpeg

I went with stainless steel hardlines in the front and tunnel for the look and to save space in the tunnel. They were silver soldered. The lines in the cabin and engine bay are crimped tube.
IMG_6439.jpeg

IMG_6371.jpeg

IMG_6435.jpeg

Wiring has been a fear of mine since the start of this. Face your fear, it’s worse than you think.

IMG_6444.jpeg

Then untangle it.
IMG_6387.jpeg
IMG_6396.jpeg

Then a small victory.
IMG_6446.jpeg

More AC, copiied from Kurbmeister again View attachment 137068View attachment 137069
I went with stainless steel hardlines in the front and tunnel for the look and to save space in the tunnel. They were silver soldered. The lines in the cabin and engine bay are crimped tube.
View attachment 137074

View attachment 137071
View attachment 137077
Wiring has been a fear of mine since the start of this. Face your fear, it’s worse than you think.

View attachment 137080
Then untangle it.View attachment 137081View attachment 137082
Then a small victory. View attachment 137083

Klaf

Supporter
I went down the rabbit hole with doubling the firewall sound and heat protection sandwich as detailed in Tom’s trackracer. It took him, a master, 14 hours. I have what seems like a lifetime into this and it’s not done.
First I cut a mirror image out in sheet aluminum. Then glued some aluminum stock using JB Weld. Primed and coated with lizard skin sound and heat. Then a layer of dynomat extreme and dynaliner.
IMG_5708.jpeg
IMG_5714.jpeg
IMG_5793.jpeg

IMG_5629.jpeg
IMG_5811.jpeg

Then I welded the the mirror piece
IMG_5947.jpeg
IMG_5948.jpeg

boy, inside corners are tough.
IMG_5955.jpeg
IMG_5795.jpeg

Klaf

Supporter
Oh Marty, I’m still relegated to 1 of the three stalls. But I have spilled over on all sides.

Back