Crazy Rally speed Machines

Re: Crazy speed machines

+1 Jack on the R5 Turbo! I had an opportunity to drive one once. The acceleration off the line was like a jet. Great little car, you just steer it with the throttle. They were always broken though, just couldn't keep the things running.
Garry

What do you think about the R5 Turbo 2 for looks? This car has water to air intercooler and throttle body off a GMC Typhoon, Electromotive EFI, and MSD digital ignition with individual coils. With good fuel 20+ PSI boost, its a beast and crazy in a little package.

The R5 Turbo is a great looking car in solid colors without decals etc.
And I have to admit that I also always like the pedestrian R5/LeCar variant.
The Stratus never did it for me. Too tall for its short wheelbase.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

How about the Metro 6R4

I loved the way that bounded forward no matter what surface it was on - better still before they started limiting power on a rally car to 300hp

Ian

What do you think about the R5 Turbo 2 for looks? This car has water to air intercooler and throttle body off a GMC Typhoon, Electromotive EFI, and MSD digital ignition with individual coils. With good fuel 20+ PSI boost, its a beast and crazy in a little package.

R5 :thumbsup:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

I love all rally cars, I think some of the best drivers in the world are rally drivers, I will watch a WRC race over nascar hands down any day. I wish I could afford (or even find) a RS200. I will say the lancia is one of my favorite cars too. The metro 6R4 is another beast. All good! But that Audi is still butt ugly, so this the Suzuki.

Chris Kouba

Supporter

...The metro 6R4 is another beast...

Jack,

Under the heading of "Being in the right place at the right time" I have these pics to share:

CK-in-6r4.bmp.jpg

CK-close-up-in-6r4.bmp.jpg

Yes, the dork behind the wheel (with that big grin which you can't actually see) is ME!!

Unfortunately, it was only a rallycross and the course was on grass covered dirt on which rain was falling... Slick as all get out but it was truly entertaining and quite the experience to be able to say I've actually driven a real group B rally car in anger. Or in my case, a slight state of grumpiness.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Great shots Chris! More pictures please, do you have any of the engine? It had the jag engine didn't it?

Some great stuff guys......lunacy in my mind.....Isle of Mann TT. How this race continues to be held (and I'm bloody glad it is) in todays uptight, insurance binding world is beyond me. The sidecar guys are really out there. I think the race has at least one death every year or so. Saw it on High Def TV two nights ago and just marvelled at the balls on these lads. Parts of the track were still damp from an earlier rain and here they are at over 125+mph on slick tires not knowing exactly where that patch of damp might be and surrounded by an islanders brick walled garden. Not me mate!

Some great stuff guys......lunacy in my mind.....Isle of Mann TT. How this race continues to be held (and I'm bloody glad it is) in todays uptight, insurance binding world is beyond me. The sidecar guys are really out there. I think the race has at least one death every year or so. Saw it on High Def TV two nights ago and just marvelled at the balls on these lads. Parts of the track were still damp from an earlier rain and here they are at over 125+mph on slick tires not knowing exactly where that patch of damp might be and surrounded by an islanders brick walled garden. Not me mate!

Have to agree with you on that. I watched a race a couple years ago where it was still raining in some sections and they weren't slowing down one bit it appeared. Had a guy from my high school class run in that thing. Definitely craziness.

BTW- Why has the title to this thread been changed? Are we to limit our posts to rally cars now?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
There is also a great rally race cross country in Tasmania. Help me out you guys from down under. I have a video of it from years ago and its brutal but looks like more fun for all. They stop at towns for the night and it looks like one big party. Have to hand it to the guys down under, they know how to have a good time.

There is also a great rally race cross country in Tasmania. Help me out you guys from down under. I have a video of it from years ago and its brutal but looks like more fun for all. They stop at towns for the night and it looks like one big party. Have to hand it to the guys down under, they know how to have a good time.

Jack, are you thinking of the 'Targa Tasmania' or another event. The Targas down our way have become somewhat emasculated in recent years with maximum speed limits now imposed. They used to be virtually the same as a WRC round but only on sealed road surfaces.... now they are a fraction of that.. still doesnt stop the odd car or two from having a big accident though.

One guy I remember was building his own V8 drag bikes early on ...Was it E.J.Potter aka Michigan Madman? his account of how he made the decision to abandon ship at the end of one run when the fuel wouldnt shut off & it went into auto ignition was hilarious, plus the starting method....drop it off the axle stand at full noise....!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack, are you thinking of the 'Targa Tasmania' or another event. The Targas down our way have become somewhat emasculated in recent years with maximum speed limits now imposed. They used to be virtually the same as a WRC round but only on sealed road surfaces.... now they are a fraction of that.. still doesnt stop the odd car or two from having a big accident though.
Thats the one Jac, I am sorry to hear it has changed so much, the video I have is wonderful. I need to convert to DVD all my old VCRs so I can watch them again.

I once was in Italy with my wife and my older sister, we were just "shooting from the hip" going from town to town and staying were there seemed to be a good restraint and hotel, while driving down a 2 lane mountain road (very small road) my sister yells at "look out!" I looked to my left and a small rally car passed me like I was standing still. I made the comment that that guy must be testing his car and then noticed he was in the lead! I pulled over and let them all by, I thought I would be in trouble for being on a closed road during a race. We got the next town and a Police officer was standing in the road waving at us, my sister rolled down the window and asked him in Italian if we were in trouble and he said NO get out of the way! I guess you can have a rally race on open public roads in Italy. :thumbsup: Very exciting!

How about some more pictures of rally cars guys?

Back