CV Boot Ripped

After drive today, noticed inner drivers side CV boot ripped. What have people used to replace the boot (brand/size)? What is the easiest process to follow in replacing boot?

Thanx
Mark

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Mark AutoZone or Napa sells a replacement boot that is universal, it comes with instructions and pretty easy but messy, you would want to clean the old CV and re grease it with that special CV grease.

The CV boots on my CAV (audi 016) are standard porsche 911 boots....about $10 bucks each on ebay.

If your boot ripped it may be that you have more movement in the axle shaft than that particular boot can handle reliably over time - good to check that as there are other boot options out there that may be more appropriate if that's the case. If that is the case the aero boot is not recommended however.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
If your boot ripped it may be that you have more movement in the axle shaft than that particular boot can handle reliably over time - good to check that as there are other boot options out there that may be more appropriate if that's the case. If that is the case the aero boot is not recommended however.

Cliff,

I'm interested to hear why the Aero boot is not suitable for more acute angles/travel, as retailers are typically quoting that as an advantage with this style boot.

Julian

Hi Julian, from the Pegasus site....

"Boots for 94mm OD Lobro CV Joints (78mm Bolt Circle)
The Aero boot (shown at left in photograph) has no convolutions and is much more aerodynamic than bellows-style boots. The Standard bellows-style boot (shown at right) is much more flexible than the Aero boot. The Aero boot has a maximum angle of approximately 6 degrees. Both types fit our 94mm OD Lobro-style CV joints (Part Nos. 1471 and 1473). The bolt circle diameter is 78mm."

Given that most GT40s already have some amount of CV axle offset due to (typically) rearward positioning of the transaxle output flanges relative to the uprights, six percent maximum working angle isn't a lot.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I should have read the link I posted more carefully :uneasy: Interesting, I switched to them on the Ultima and it solved my problems and I have a lot more than 6 degree angle. I recommended them to a CAV owner who was also regularly tearing bellows boots and I understood he had no further issues too.

Thanks for the clarification.

Julian

Back