CV Joints for GTD

Bud,
What PCD do you have? If they are 108mm then they are standard Ford Granada/Scorpio. The bigger ones are from the Granada Cosworth.

Brett

40 Bud, you might have Lobro CV axles (or an alternate mfg). The Lobros typically have part numbers stamped on the exterior side of the CV (not under the boot), and can be cross referenced to other applications with the Lobro #. Just a thought.

Thanks Cliff. I am finding that nobody stocks the bearings anymore. They only seem to stock complete axle/halfshaft replacements! If I can confirm that the Scorpio halfshafts are the same size and spline and are assembled the same, I can buy the unit and take it apart and use the bearings on my halfshafts.

Thanks Cliff. I am finding that nobody stocks the bearings anymore. They only seem to stock complete axle/halfshaft replacements! If I can confirm that the Scorpio halfshafts are the same size and spline and are assembled the same, I can buy the unit and take it apart and use the bearings on my halfshafts.

Hhhhmmm, interesting. That's a good possibility.

On my CAV I ID'd the lobro part number on the CV joints and then used the lobro number to cross reference and find/purchase just the CV joints (porsche and audi) on ebay - they weren't expensive, something like $49/each. In other words, I re-used the axle shaft, just replaced the CV joints as complete assemblies.

There are places that "rebuild" CV joints but frankly the "rebuild" process isn't typically that comprehensive - a good cleaning and repacking with replacement of any balls that are obviously worn.

Good luck!

Robin, as far as I know GTD driveshafts were custom made. I think the early cars used a modified Granada halfshaft but they were weak. I think I found the CV joints listed on the Cedex sight under part number 241. Now I have to find a USA distributor! Andy Sheldon can probably fix you up with the right halfshaft.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
VW spline shape and the Ford spline shape are different (same spline count)

So you may be stuck if you have some Ford bits

But the VW stuff works in my application - standard length drive shaft too - easy to replace if broken

Ian

Hi
What length do you need ? If you can confirm that the ones from Tornado would fit, go for Ford Scorpio ones ( the short one as left and right have different length ) and use the joint from carbuilder solution fits perfect for me on my tornado. As i bought a GTD and i am going to pick it up I might be able to confirm after the next weekend if this is the same length. Let me know !
The Joints from tornado btw are way to big and heavy the CBS ones are half the weight and have the same strength. Also I have a foreign Tornado in my garage i am currently preparing for SVA approval, I can confirm the Tornado shaft lenght as it comes with the tornado ones, if you want me too. Not sure but I guess they also have part numbers stamped in.
Cheers
(C)arlos

Back