Damaged Grazziano - Suggestions?

After a long wait my Garazziano with the V10 gearset showed up.

Did not notice it was damaged until mating it with the LS7 today. Box was absolutly fine and RCR shipped it to me in the original crate/box. So all indications are that it was damaged before being crated.

It is cracked at the upper right side ear. See pics.

Waiting 13 months for another is not an option (I will sell the uncompleted car before I do that).

So my initial thought is to remove it from the engine, bolt it to the adapter and take it down and have it welded up. My aluminum welding skills are not good enough to do this.

Is the case a 'weldable' aluminum?

Other suggestions?

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 499
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 485
I'd be inclined to have the trans ready to go to the welding shop, but call RCR first. Depending on that outcome I'd take it to a welder that you trust, or has good recommendations from knowledgeable people. Don't know if that particular case can be welded, but I know my late father had some welding done on aluminum engine/trans parts before (he bought wrecks and fixed them). Let a pro check it out.

I'm pretty sure it can be TIG welded, but its a job for an expert.

If you bring the transaxle to the welding shop, I'll bet the repair is under $50

I'm pretty sure it can be TIG welded, but its a job for an expert.

If you bring the transaxle to the welding shop, I'll bet the repair is under $50

Agree that if it's a readily weldable alloy it is a simple repair for a qualified welder. I have the equipment, but very little aluminum experience. I'm just outside of Dallas so no issue getting it to someone qualified.

Howard Jones

Supporter
There's just no way I wouldn't send that back. Once you start welding on it, it's yours. What if it has internal damage? All the real weight is in the steel parts and they are inside out of sight. That took quite a hit to crack it like that. The bearing flanges internally could look the same way.

Send it back.............really. Work on the body.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I'd have it welded. If it were in the main part of the case I'd be more worried, but it's the bellhousing.

Howard brings up a good point.

Call Grazziano before you have it welded, to get their replacement estimate or their blessing to have it welded.

Did not notice it was damaged until mating it with the LS7 today. Box was absolutly fine and RCR shipped it to me in the original crate/box. So all indications are that it was damaged before being crated.

Waiting 13 months for another is not an option (I will sell the uncompleted car before I do that).

So my initial thought is to remove it from the engine, bolt it to the adapter and take it down and have it welded up. My aluminum welding skills are not good enough to do this.

Other suggestions?
I am sure it is weldable as long as it did not affect any thing else. I wouldnt have a problem welding it.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Frank,

I will call Graziano USA on Monday ....that is not acceptable.

We ship the transaxles out in the crates they arrive in ...

Jim the Graziano USA boss is a good guy....DO NOT WELD IT until we speak to them.

What a bummer, really SORRY

Thanks Fran. Have it ready to go to the welder but will wait to hear from you.

As you said it arrived here in the original packing and there was no damage to the packing.

So it appears to be a factory issue. That said, I really don't mind having it welded if that is acceptable.

In your pictures it don't look flat either mating up against the motor, I would be wondering about that, tightening it up before welding it against a flat plate I would do first. Just the way it looks in the picture.

Keith

In your pictures it don't look flat either mating up against the motor, I would be wondering about that, tightening it up before welding it against a flat plate I would do first. Just the way it looks in the picture.

I think the mating of the bell housing at that point is in shadow. If you look carefully, I think both mating surfaces are pretty well parallel.

If not, that's a heck of an error!

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Update.

Graziano will replace the transaxle if Frank can wait (10-12 weeks..their quote) for the new one to arrive.They require the original new damaged unit returned obviously.

Other suggestions?

There's just no way I wouldn't send that back. Once you start welding on it, it's yours. What if it has internal damage? All the real weight is in the steel parts and they are inside out of sight. That took quite a hit to crack it like that. The bearing flanges internally could look the same way.

Send it back.............really. Work on the body.

Update.

Graziano will replace the transaxle if Frank can wait (10-12 weeks..their quote) for the new one to arrive.They require the original new damaged unit returned obviously.

Frank, after playing a similar waiting game, I can certainly sympathize with you! The estimated 10-12 weeks doesn't sound to bad (if true) but keep in mind that Graziano uses the same calendar as RCR; but I think you already discovered that.

I agree with Howard; I would not weld on that case! IMO, there is more downside risk than upside potential. These projects are supposed to be fun....what a bummer!

Good luck, please keep us posted,
Jim
P.S Who eats the 2-way freight?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Let Fran handle it. You don't want to buy a new one and have that broken one in the garage as a memento of a lack of patience. Wok the rest of the car. You can't finish it in 4 months anyway!

Back