Daniel's S85 build thread

Re: What every SLC should sound like.

Hopefully the car is back around spring/summer time. No real rush just want it to look amazing!

Thanks Stefan.
The advantage is having an electronic cut out that allows me to control exhaust flow through the straight pipe instead of through the mufflers.(less restrictions and louder)

Matt, whenever I get the car back you are more than welcome to see it. I'm sure it will be at several events throughout the year also.
Sounds good, I'll keep an eye out to see when you get it back!

Daniel, this is awesome. The exact build I always wanted to do with the SLC, glad you popped the cherry. I am now doing an M62 swapped e30 and was just tinkering the idea of an s85 e30 as well. Now you got me thinking about the SLC again! Awesome build my man.

Mr. Wolfe

This settles it, I'm building an SLC with an S85. That V10 really sings!

A few questions, how much did it cost for the frame mods? Is Fran going to officially support this option with new orders?

Since all the design and engineering has already been done. I'd love to simply order the roller with the S85 frame modification and engine adapter plate.

Would I be able to have an S85 with side exhausts? Or is that only for straight pipe race cars?

Can't wait to see more details on this build!

I guess my last post got deleted.
Mason,
Frame modifications, v10-graziano adapter plate, custom crank sensor pickup wheel, custom flywheel, custom engine mounts, roll bar* was about 3-4k. This included everything needed to bolt up the v10 engine to chassis with the graziano minus clutch kit* I'm sure since its already been done it should be a bit less expensive. I'm sure Fran is up to the task. Unfortunately, there is no room for a side exhaust due to the clearance at the transmission mount. I guess with enough time and money you could re-design the trans mount to allow more clearance for a side exhaust. Here are a few pictures of the Chassis modifications.

Beautiful Daniel!

Thanks for the details about the V10 modifications and pictures of the build. I messaged Fran at RCR and he was helpful and willing to make the mods on a new chassis.

The only disappointment, was that I still need to send an engine to RCR to make the same chassis mods. He doesn't have drawings or measurement from your chassis build, or when he made the mounts.

I need to get my garage built and then I can order the engine and kit!

How has the SC Tornado II ECU worked out for you, has the tuning and engine setup been straightforward?

Mason,

The SC Tornado ecu is no longer being used. I believe I am the first or second person to receive the Delta 800 ecu from SC. As of right now I'm not entirely sure how many inputs will be available. I will need to have the engine tuned due to the velocity stacks installed. The engine doesn't like to stay running after the first start. Usually likes to stall after 10 seconds only on first start. As far as getting the V10 modifications complete I believe Fran still has the File for the clutch/flywheel and pickup wheel. The mounts and roll bar will have to be custom per your build. If you plan on using the factory intake manifold the roll bar will have to be re-designed. My current roll bar required the upper inner roof panel to be modified to clear near the rear bulkhead. Something to keep in mind if going this route.
I do have a spare v10 that had a rod knock sitting in my garage. I guess I could sell it since I don't need it. (that's the engine I used for making the chassis modifications/mockup).

She's a beauty! Are you planning on a full street car interior or leaning more toward a track day / full race build?

Thanks for the engine details on the ECU and the initial tune. The beautiful sonnet of this V10 comes with a price in increased build complexity apparently.

I wasn't thinking about the rollbar mods, but looking at the frame it's obvious that it would be an issue.

Fran does have all the CNC parts files, so that is a leg up and as you mentioned the chassis mods would depend on how I want to use the car and if I want to go with stacks or a custom intake manifold.

If it's a reasonable option to rebuild, I may be interested in your spare S85. Though I would have to look at rebuild/refresh costs for parts.

Thank you Mason. It will have a full carbon interior with carbon seats. My goal is to have it comfortable enough to drive on the weekends and car events. Yes, the build price went up going this route. Thankfully, working for BMW I am able to cut some of those higher costs down. Also, doing most of the engine work myself saved me $$$. I believe the spare engine I have would only be good for a stroker setup due to having some cylinder wall scoring. I guess that's the reason I was holding on to it. Maybe in the near future I may build it and add a TT setup? Who knows right?

As some of you know the car is currently in Connecticut with Allan
getting some major work done. Allan just finished painting the body
and is currently working on making a custom center console for the
gated R8 shifter. I got really lucky one night when I was browsing for
a R8 shifter assembly and came across one for sale on ECStuning.com.
Normally for sale for $1300-$1400, It was listed at $109 with free
shipping so I purchased it instantly. Luckily for me they shipped it
with no problems.

I have to say Allan is doing one hell of a job. For those considering
sending your SL-C to him have no worries its in great hands. He is a
very talented individual and very trustworthy. If I didn't have Allan
as an option my car would probably still be in the body alignment
stages lol.

So here are a few more pictures of modifications I had performed to
the S85 engine to work in conjunction with the SLC.

Here's a*picture of the header/trans mount clearance problem I had. I
ended up modifying the existing mount and mounting it to the back side
of the trans bracket. This gave me more room and was able to use a 4"
90 degree exhaust pipe over the bracket.
I decided to move the engine back 1.25" to gain additional clearance
near the bulkhead.

Fuel tank fuel inlet had to be modified to clear part of the chassis
which was modified.

Mounted the compressor that came with the Vintage air kit. I had to
modify the existing brackets and also make a few of my own which are not pictured here.

The s85 normally has a split cooling system . This is where I ran into
a few problems. The engine has 2 coolant outlets and 2 inlets. To make
life easier I ended up welding 1 thermostat port closed and merged the
2 outlets from the heads into a y-pipe leading to the front of the
engine. Once I had the engine running I tested the cooling system at a
stand still for over 1.5 hours. Thankfully I didn't have any problems
with overheating. We'll see how well the cooling system works at WOT
on the track. Also decided to go with Setrab oil/trans cooler.

I ended up tacking up all the coolant tubes together and had a local
welder weld/back purge all the pipes. After I tested it for leaks I
painted it with High temp. resistance flat black paint.

Brake lines installed

Brake/clutch reservoirs mounted

I did install Lava mat thermal barrier to prevent as much heat transfer to the passenger compartment. If ordering the same material make sure to get the thicker stuff. I believe its .025" thick.

E-brake calipers brackets tapped/installed. I did make custom brackets to space out the calipers just enough so that when I drilled the holes through the uprights I didn't come through the open area.

The S85 engine oiling system is a quasi-dry sump therefore multiple oil pumps are used. This engine has a total of 5 oil pumps. This includes 1 main 5 bar pump, a suction pump that transfers oil from the front section of the sump to the rear, 2 lateral oil pumps that are activated in excess of .8g's and 1 vanos high pressure oil pump that runs the vanos actuators.

Here's the oil filter housing mounted to the chassis. Just kind of mocked it up to see whats the best place to mount it. The coolant line was just for testing to if a tube would actually fit in between engine/chassis.

Oil cooler lines modified for -10 an.

Unfortunately this engine does not have dipstick from the factory. From the factory they used a Electronic dipstick mounted in the sump. I improvised and modified one from a M62 motor. I removed the sump, I drilled and added my own custom bung to the top of the sump. Once welded to the sump I then used water to measure the full mark on the dipstick. It was a lengthy process but definitely had to be done.

I then added a front drain plug for the front of the sump.

Here's are picture of the upgraded Maradyne fans and front lift kit installed.

Having the engine out multiple times really sucks, but in my case I had no choice.
Engine had to come back out to modify a few brackets. Having a hoist in my garage definitely made it easier to do.

Installed the custom flywheel pickup wheel and sensor gapped correctly.

Trans installed, I decided to remove the black material from the back of the trans and paint it silver.

For the fuel system I tried to keep it as simple as possible. I went with a Holly Lp pump and a bosch *044 (higher volume/pressure needed for the S85 engine) Also 2 in line filters and a regulator.

Now for my favorite part. Designing the exhaust system that will deliver the best possible sound from this S85. Being that I live in a quite neighborhood I had to decide on the quietest possible exhaust with the option of having an electronic switch to let his beast roar when I needed it to. I decided on having Burns stainless make custom mufflers for it. I opted for custom 2.5 " cores with 3" outlet mufflers that would serviceable/repackable just be removing the body. I also wanted to install electronic or vacuum QTP electronic control valve. I then decided I would run 4" upper pipes and use reducers to bring it down to 3". *Here are a couple prototype exhaust up pipes.

Here a pic with the muffler tips for a 458 italia. Initially I wanted to do a quad exit like the Pagani Zonda, but due to limited room I stuck with the 3 pipe exit.

I have many more pictures to upload just ran out of time. Next pictures I upload will include body fitment and interior.

Absolutely brilliant Daniel.

My business is 99% on this engine and this is a long term goal of mine. I'm working on a Motec M1 installation with one right now with full E60 CAN integration. Once it's done, I hope the follow-on work will fund my SL-C.

You sir, may very well have the easiest S85 in the world to change the starter on. :thumbsup:

Jim

Thank you gents! I did think about going with Motec for the Standalone Ecu but a custom harness, many more hours in custom wiring and additional tuning was out of the question. Having a proven direct plug and play setup (other than about 20 wires) was the best and easiest route for me to take.

Jim, yes the starter is extremely easy to get to on this transaxle. I eliminated the option of using the Bmw starter in the valley of the engine as soon as I mounted the custom adapter plate and crank sensor. The graziano starter is now mounted on the side of the trans with plenty of room around it. So what's your specialty with the S85? Complete rebuilds? Custom performance parts? Tuning?
Wishing you the best with purchasing a SL-C!

This looks fantastic.... I'm scratch building a car around the same engine.

ironically Fran once visited my humble double garage around in the UK around 12 years ago to look at the mid engine car i was building at the time... cleaver bloke :)

Back