Dan's Build

Mark B.

Supporter
According to the docs i saw thats an input shaft speed sensor, not output shaft, but if someone finds different please let us know!

Audi Part Number 095927321. Direct from the Audi parts website:

A sensor, located on a vehicle's transmission/transaxle and not a part of the ABS system, used to measure transmission/transaxle output or wheel speed. All Required. For Trouble Code G38. Sequential Shift Trans. Transmission Speed Sensor.

Its hard a s hell to find any clear data on the Graz and I cant tell you why its working, only that it is actually working as MPH. Here is my scanner: Note 36 MPH and the source is the Graz sensor at the rear of the tranny. The RPM signal is coming from a crank sensor via a GM sensor, a completely different and isolated signal.

This may help some........or muddies the water even more.

1628634068340.png

Mark B.

Supporter
Thanks! Im going to give it a shot as well. Im using a reluctor on the cv joint with a gm sensor, but would love to be able to clean that up.

Stop the presses, something not exactly right with this Graz "VSS". Just when I thought this discussion had drawn to closure, I discover something this morning that turned me on my head. I have 3 scanner runs which validated zero MPH while sitting still and MPH equal to the GPS using the sensor on the rear of the Graz while driving, case closed...not so fast. This morning I made a tweak to the ECU gear ratio and cranked her up. While sitting there the scanner read the car was moving....what the hell. I pushed in the clutch, and surprise MPH went to zero. Now recall that Johann (#457) was telling us this wasn't a VSS and he too ran a similar test as I just did. I pulled the sensor and with the car sitting still engine running tranny in neutral (so nothing should be spinning back there right...) and using a straw I stuck it into the hole (oil spits out that hole BTW, very messy), I could feel the ring turning, no wonder speed wasn't zero, but why was it yesterday? The objective was of course to give the ECU a speed signal to help with stalling, so this works, however the ECU will always think its moving and honestly I don't know which condition is worse, not knowing its moving, or thinking its moving all the time. For the purist among us, the wheel sensor may be the best speed signal source, buts its not as clean an install. Not sure what Graz/Audi/Lambo uses this sensor for, but maybe someone has the answer. I hope I didn't give anyone the same false hope I had.....*&^%$.

Convex mirror issue solved. Since I was mounting the tinted windows anyway, I searched for alternate solutions for mirrors (ya like who hasn't). Anyway I found symmetrical mirrors that fit, you ready a Seadoo. So here is what they look like with tinted windows. Fully adjustable so I will pull them down a little post road test.

IMG_4339.jpg
IMG_4340.jpg

I need to step it up and get my windows put on.

Looks like you permanently mounted them, I like the no hole look. May I ask what you used? Did you use it on the clear ones as well and how easy were they to get off?

I used Raptor truck liner as a Frit. Then I used Sika Flex 295 marine grade urethane adhesive. I’ve used it before and holds incredible tight. It’s used to secure poly on yachts, so good enough for the car I guess. It was a #$&*@ to get the clear ones off BTW

Those of us who still have the stack (original) 6 speed shifter and the Graziano, I have a question:

Can you find and shift into 1st gear if the car is not stopped, aka downshift into 1st?

I found instructions on how to adjust Audi R8 trans cables and at the end of the cables it has a connector that I don't seem to have. Is it critical to have this one?

1631478405902.png

I used Raptor truck liner as a Frit. Then I used Sika Flex 295 marine grade urethane adhesive. I’ve used it before and holds incredible tight. It’s used to secure poly on yachts, so good enough for the car I guess. It was a #$&*@ to get the clear ones off BTW

I take it you added the frit on the tinted windows as well to hide the adhesive? I'm torn between no holes using adhesive due to the clean look and also seals the windows. Or just drill holes and attach as they were, just won't do a frit since places was in Houston and don't really think water intrusion through the windows will an issue.

Those of us who still have the stack (original) 6 speed shifter and the Graziano, I have a question:

Can you find and shift into 1st gear if the car is not stopped, aka downshift into 1st?

I found instructions on how to adjust Audi R8 trans cables and at the end of the cables it has a connector that I don't seem to have. Is it critical to have this one?

View attachment 117689
All shifter cables should be adjustable, some on one end (typical OEM) ; some on both ends (typical aftermarket cable which sounds like what you have). All that is is an adjustable 'end link' on the shifter cable. My porsche cayman s cables are essentially the same, slightly different locking mechanism. Do you only have that option on the shifter end or on both ends? On the cayman it's only on the shifter end of the cables. Adjusting these will help only if you are bottoming out your shifter before you have enough excursion to get into gear, but it will also affect the position of your shifter. If you have an adjustable cable end on the gearbox end of the cable, this can be lengthened or shortened to adjust your 'center' position on the gearbox mechanism, which will give you more excursion towards the direction you need at the expense of less excursion in the opposite direction. The total amount of cable travel is determined by the length of your shifter knob lever relative to its pivot point and can only be changed by getting a different shifter.

Back