Dan's Build

Dan Carter

Supporter
I talked to shop owner about getting a laser scanner so they could scan the car and would have a 3D scan for their design program. They could then design and sell patterns not only for limited production vehicles but they would own their own patterns for any common cars/trucks they wanted. No longer limited to another designer. It caught their interest.

Time will tell if they take the next step.

I talked to shop owner about getting a laser scanner so they could scan the car and would have a 3D scan for their design program. They could then design and sell patterns not only for limited production vehicles but they would own their own patterns for any common cars/trucks they wanted. No longer limited to another designer. It caught their interest.

Time will tell if they take the next step.
That's good to hear, keep us posted.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were making patterns of and what they would be used for. I was mistakenly thinking of body patterns and selling body parts. Sorry. Graphics would of course be fine to sell and I would be interested in seeing what else can be done. An online do-it-yourself pattern maker and order process would really be cool and I would be a buyer if not too costly.

I've seen the hand-cut style of wrapping done once and it was pretty time-consuming. Doing it from a pattern would be much more cost-effective. In fact, if I could buy a pre-fitted graphic of your nose I more than likely would.

Here's an idea, how about a complete wrap of the nose that would combine a cool graphic like yours with the remainder being clear to protect the paint underneath.

Dan Carter

Supporter
The process is a fascinating process. They have a large plotter that prints simple to complex designs on a film. Once printed, the printed vinyl is then placed in a machine that attaches a clear vinyl on top.....about 2 to 3 mils. On my car they used a 3M knifeless tape that is pretty simple. You layout a pattern with the tape and place the vinyl in place over it. I found out better quality vinyl has air relief capability to allow air to escape while smoothing it. Once down, there is a string in the tape (very thin but strong floss looking stuff). It cuts the applied vinyl perfectly as you pull the string. A pre printed pattern would make it easier, but this wasn't really all that hard. Hence the need for a laser to scan a car.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ohhhh......... that is completely different than the custom wrap thing I watched being done. My guy had a way to cut the wrap as it was going on the car to make a straight line and not harm the paint underneath.