Deadbolt - A Great Invention

I received a call today from my neighbor today to report that two a$$holes were attempting to kick in my door, an attempted robbery. Good news is that my neighbor yelled at them that the cops were on their way (they were) and that they took off. So all is well that ends well since they didn't get in the door; unfortunately my front door is now bowed and does not seal. The door did take quite a few solid kicks and it would have taken quite a few more kicks before it would have opened. Got to love a deadbolt...

I am not going to bemoan the fact that it happened, I am seriously pissed but nothing bad happened so it is tough to be too upset.

I now go to the question, any recommendations on replacement doors? Would you go steel? Wood? Any new fancy type of door that you would put in?

On a separate note, the storm is crazy here in Chicago; there is thunder, lightning, and snow; I have never seen anything like this.

Thanks for the help,
Kevin

How about one of those doors you see at the movies? you know, the ones where it's tied by string to a trigger!:furious:
Simon

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Good solid door (Wood is good)
But change the way it is fitted so it opens outwards
When the idiots kick it they are only closing it further against a solid door jam

Ian

Good solid door (Wood is good)
But change the way it is fitted so it opens outwards
When the idiots kick it they are only closing it further against a solid door jam

Ian

That may not be code compliant especially in Chicago where you could be trapped inside when snow piles up against the outside

Whatever solid door you buy for replacement consider reinforcing the inside jam at least around the lock. A piece of angle iron or straight bar bolted completely through top to bottom would be better. A door that open outward will have it's hinges exposed so you need to have hinges with set screws that lock the pins in place. Use a few extra long screws that reach the framing in case someone tries to get in with a pry bar on the hinge side.

I have keyed dead bolts on the inside, and set screws on the hinges. I want whoever breaks in not to be able to exit easily through the door carrying my stuff. This is a code violation. We do not lock the dead-bolts when we are inside. You could leave a key in if you needed to lock them.

My house had been broken into many times, once we put in monitored alarms, upgraded doors and windows we haven't had any more attempts in quite a few years. At least get an alarm sign/sticker for your lawn/door.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
That may not be code compliant especially in Chicago where you could be trapped inside when snow piles up against the outside

A small "porch" in front of the door - main door open out (into porch) porch door opens inwards to make a small "lobby" with enough room for the 2 doors! - the doors can even overlap so not that big a "box" required!

Make the outside door with glass panels and when they kick that in the shards of glass may also do them damage!

IAn

Back