Decisions Help when ordering SLC

Troy, If you're anywhere near 757 or 804 PM me and I can lend a helping hand. I'm hoping to eventually (year or two) start on my own SLC (assuming there isn't a better option from RCR by then).

Have you considered an F20C or F22C1? Pretty light (~308lbs dry), and with methanol can reliably produce 500whp with a GT35R kit without even pulling the head off the block. No torque below 5,000rpm, but its not exactly necessary in a 2300lb car...

I went and saw Will with his White one in the process of building and he had a red one that was a turnk key by RCR. I am going to start a new thread on first impressions on the car there with thoughts on it, but a big thank you to Will for showing me the cars.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
On the V6 after getting a ride in the red car with a LS376 engine it felt really fast. I am still confused as heck why he bothers to put an LS376 engine instead of the LS3480hp when he has a ricardo trans. When you have a trans that can handle the power. Some things in life just make me scratch my head. But overall the car felt really fast with that engine and for a minute I was like I want a V8, but then reality set in again and if I want the car then go with the V6. On the way back from NJMP I saw a Porsche and that made me think the V6 twin turbo will be good and then like 15 minutes alters I saw a GTR. Someone is telling me something. The GTR affirms my V6 twin turbo wants. That is like 3.8L twin turbo making 550+hp. So with my 3.3L twin turbo at 15-18PSI I should be in the 450rwhp really easy and it should be a lot nicer on transaxles. <o:p></o:p>
Another thing with the Toyota V6 weights in around 330lbs and the LS weights around 415. The G50 box is about 50lbs lighter so in all you have about 125-150lb weight savings. Now the twin turbo setup will probablly add like 30-50lbs back. So we are saving about 100lbs here and that is good. Also, the V6 is a pretty compact engine and the front where the pulley and other items are is very very compact. So the engine is about 6-10" shorter so I can mount it further forward in the chassis. That is if the axle angles are not all that bad and it can handle it. Looking at that ricardo trans made the axles go back farther at an angle so I would think I can could do the same thing forward and move the engine forward a bit. This should help with more front weight bias and make it handle a little better. That big ricardo past the rear axle line can not be helping. I also like the big area on each side for the twin turbo setup. It was like it was made for it and should work well. <o:p></o:p>

LS376 IS the LS3-480HP....the red car is going overseas to an area with little aftermarket support ,so having a bullet proof transaxle with nice shift manners and very high speed potential was important to the customer.

Will has an LS7 with 535hp and factory dry sump.

The front rear bias with an ls376 and a G96/50 is 48/52% f/r and I am pretty sure one of the SL-C guys that is ontrack this weekend may comment on the handling .

LS376 IS the LS3-480HP....the red car is going overseas to an area with little aftermarket support ,so having a bullet proof transaxle with nice shift manners and very high speed potential was important to the customer.

Will has an LS7 with 535hp and factory dry sump.

The front rear bias with an ls376 and a G96/50 is 48/52% f/r and I am pretty sure one of the SL-C guys that is ontrack this weekend may comment on the handling .
That isn't a typo? It isn't 42/58%?

Gotcha on the 376 being the 480hp and that makes much more sense to me now. It sure did feel fast as hell. I was thinking the 376 was the LS1 with like 350hp. So that confirms my opinion to get the V6 more. I was thinking if this is what 350hp feels like I would be amazing as the LS3 480hp version. So my 450rwhp V6 should do just fine then. The V6 moved forward might be more like 50/50 then with a battery up front. HMMMM. I am used to a twichy mr2 with 58% rear bias. Fun times to come.

You're pretty well dead set on not doing a LS engine -- I agree with your choice. My car will be "red" and utilize the LS376 engine. I really DON'T want to see another red SL-C with an LS motor within 500 miles of me! :drunk:

BTW - you live about 59 miles away - so when you're done we can do a SL-C shootout.....

sorry SLC is....46/54 f/r....with ls376 and G96/50 on 295 front and 345 rear Hoosier R6 tyres...ready to drive weight is 2398lbs

Last edited:
You're pretty well dead set on not doing a LS engine -- I agree with your choice. My car will be "red" and utilize the LS376 engine. I really DON'T want to see another red SL-C with an LS motor within 500 miles of me! :drunk:

BTW - you live about 59 miles away - so when you're done we can do a SL-C shootout.....

Hopefully you'll be surrounded in a year or two. I'm about 40 miles southeast of you, but if I do a build it also won't be an LS motor, probably dayglow orange as well.

Hopefully you'll be surrounded in a year or two. I'm about 40 miles southeast of you, but if I do a build it also won't be an LS motor, probably dayglow orange as well.

No kidding - And what drive train are you leaning towards. Can you imagine three SL-C's pulling into a cars & coffee.

No kidding - And what drive train are you leaning towards. Can you imagine three SL-C's pulling into a cars & coffee.

It all depends on what can be fit in there. If, and hopefully when, I decide to build one of these its going to be for the experience of driving it... the sound and behavior of the motor. The LS3 is the obvious first choice for price/performance, but to get a decent sound out of it I'd have to have 180* GT40-style headers built. I don't think a well-modified LSX sounds bad, but its nothing particularly special anymore.

I'd love to try and get something high-revving but still powerful. I know a BMW S65 would fit, but I'd want to test the waters on an BMW S85 V10 (used, if I can find help on wiring it properly). If not either of those, a built 2JZ-GTE with a mild 700-800whp tune (on methanol). The I-6 and V10 are solely based on whether they would fit without modding the firewall and fuel tank.

Any of those motors would bring a smile to my face every time I started them up, and would make a sound fitting for the body style of the SL-C.

I always want to go to cars and coffee in Richmond, but I work every other Saturday and that is the same one they have it. UGG.

There's a monthly one in Williamsburg, too. Last I checked it was at the Williamsburg Winery. Lots of standard stuff, but also the odd GTM, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. Not sure on the exact day of the month, however.

I do not see how a 2j will fit. That engine is epic, but super long. The v8 with Ricardo looked tight to me so I do not see how unless you move the wheelbase.

4cyl making more than 500hp. Never seen one last very long. I plan to rev my v6 to about 8000-8500 with springs/valves and have 500hp all day reliable. After being in the ls376 480hp I can not imagine using much more.

Back