Decisions Help when ordering SLC

R88 $1300
RS3 $1440
RE11 $1400
Hankook V12 $850
Nitto Invo $1030

Hankook wins the price battle easy, but are they any good? I would think of of the list the R888 would be best, but might be scary in the rain. The RS3's are supposed to be really good also, but the most money of the list. Invo seem in the middle. Choices.

The R888s are horrid in the rain. I raced on these for 2 years in Spec Boxster, and the are ok in the dry, but nearly undrivable in the wet. The Toyo RA1 is better in the rain, but a street tire like the PS2 is just as good if not better in the wet.

For a street car, I would personally stay away from any of the DOT race tires like R888, RA1, Hoosiers, MPSCs, etc.

Howard Jones

Supporter
2400Lb, 500+ HP, fiberglass body, no bumpers, big fat summer tires...............in the rain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,really?

Kinda like a 150Hp super bike on slicks in the rain I suspect. I'm gonna skip that one.

By the way if it rains when I'm out in my GT40 I park under a overpass and wait until it stops, road drys or go to a motel. I'll NEVER drive it again in the rain. You can't see them, they can't see you, you can't keep the tires from spinning, and you'll spend most of the time sideways. Friggin suicide...........forget drivin in the rain.

I drove through the rain once in my cobra - about 5 minutes from home ... almost hydrolocked the engine .... it stalled right before I made it onto the lift...pushed it on...wouldn't start, pulled the plugs, let it sit for days, then it eventually ran again, pretty roughly and then smoothed out. Never ever again, lol.

I plan to drive in the rain from time to time because mine will be a street car with the idea of driving it to work a few days a week at least. Never snow are known rain all day, but I am sure I will get stuck in the rain from time to time. I think the V12's, from the write ups I have read are good street tires. If I hate them then I can go with something else and not much money lost when they are half price of others or a 1/3 of some. R888's are out since street car. The rs3 seem really nice, but cost a bit more and I am really trying hard to stay on budget with the build.

Can anyone tell me what the "Inner fender panel kit" option is?

Also, does anyone have a pic of an otherwise stock interior with the carbon fiber panelling option? I'm just trying to see what all is carbon fiber.

Can anyone tell me what the "Inner fender panel kit" option is?

Also, does anyone have a pic of an otherwise stock interior with the carbon fiber panelling option? I'm just trying to see what all is carbon fiber.

The inner fender panels are FG pieces that are inner fender liners. IOW, they protect the rest of the car from debris, water, etc that the tires throw up. Not needed in a race car, they are useful for street-driven cars for reducing noise, reducing paint stars from under-fender stone hits, and keeping dirt mostly in the fender area, therefore making cleanup easier.

The CF pieces include the inner roof panel, under-door panels, the rear bulkhead panel, CF trim on the dash binnacles and CF door panels. I don't have pics, but others might.

I plan to drive in the rain from time to time because mine will be a street car with the idea of driving it to work a few days a week at least. Never snow are known rain all day, but I am sure I will get stuck in the rain from time to time. I think the V12's, from the write ups I have read are good street tires. If I hate them then I can go with something else and not much money lost when they are half price of others or a 1/3 of some. R888's are out since street car. The rs3 seem really nice, but cost a bit more and I am really trying hard to stay on budget with the build.

better check with your insurer - a lot of policies prohibit you from using these types of cars (kit cars) as commuting vehicles. mine does.

Matt: Hope these help.

Attachments

• IMGP1308.jpg
    IMGP1308.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 339
  • IMGP1311.jpg
    IMGP1311.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 347
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 414
The inner fender panels are FG pieces that are inner fender liners. IOW, they protect the rest of the car from debris, water, etc that the tires throw up. Not needed in a race car, they are useful for street-driven cars for reducing noise, reducing paint stars from under-fender stone hits, and keeping dirt mostly in the fender area, therefore making cleanup easier.

Do you have pictures of these? Are they available now, front and rear?

I would also like to know about these. My thoughts, if street tail ordered then we should probably have it. Mine will be mainly street driven so something will be needed for the fender liners.

Also, Ben- is the top of your dash, portions, covered in carbon fiber? Does anyone know of a carbon fiber dash option and cost? I was thinking about covering mine in Alcantara or maybe some carbon fiber.

Do you have pictures of these? Are they available now, front and rear?
I will have some of these in a few weeks, along with a new street tail. I'll post a pic or two if someone doesn't before then.

Also, Ben- is the top of your dash, portions, covered in carbon fiber? Does anyone know of a carbon fiber dash option and cost? I was thinking about covering mine in Alcantara or maybe some carbon fiber.
Keep in mind the glare coming off of shiny surfaces can be very annoying and they also reflect onto the windshield. Alcantara or some other non reflective surface would probably be best.

Also, Ben- is the top of your dash, portions, covered in carbon fiber?
I haven't taken delivery of my car yet. The photos I attached to the previous post were taken by other members. I collect every single photo I find for reference/ideas.

Here are a few that I took while visiting RCR

Attachments

• IMG_3963.jpg
    IMG_3963.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_3964.jpg
    IMG_3964.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_4037.jpg
    IMG_4037.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_4038.jpg