Do Higher Taxes = More Revenue?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Like I said, no one has been able to quantify what "fair" is to me. You didn't. I would like to know your definition of what "fair" is and why you think this would be fair.

Fair means to me "The same".

I find it offensive that the rich have lobbied their way into having capital gains taxed at a different rate than earned income.

Income is income...everyone should be taxed the same percentage on gross income, no deductions or exemptions for anyone.

As long as the rich feel they deserve special considerations, there will be inequities in the tax codes because the wealthy can afford to hire lawyers, lobbyists, and invest in other influential organizations to make sure the codes are written to their benefit.

Doug

Thanks Doug,

We are on the same page. My proposal would not have any deductions what so ever. However, even the lowliest wage earner would have to pay something. A percentage is a percentage.

Now I would like to have Jim define what he thinks is fair and why.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
However, even the lowliest wage earner would have to pay something. A percentage is a percentage.

Agreed...even the lowest wage earner should have to contribute to the operation of our country, but not at a higher percentage of their gross income than the highest wage earner. The current inequities in the tax code leave me with little sympathy when the wealthy cry in their beer because of the dollar amount they have to pay when a minimum wage earner, who pays fewer absolute dollars, has to pay a higher percentage of his income.

I would also do away with the earned income credit. It is a way of redistributing wealth and I have seen it abused many times, people "sharing" deductions to come up with maximum refunds when the children who qualify them for the refunds are not their own children, that sort of thing. With equal/fair taxation there should be no need to redistribute wealth.

Cheers!

Doug

The ultra-wealthy - generally considered those of $25,000,000+ in liquid net worth - (of which I am not one) don't pay enough in taxes. Far, far from it.

The fundamental question that is being asked is what is the justification for a progressive tax rate? The justification is twofold and simple. a) The opportunity to accumulate large amounts of wealth comes from the privilege of participating in a civilized society with law and order, and the greater your benefit the greater your (progressive) obligation, and b) the accumulation of ever larger amounts of wealth by the ultra-wealthy provides decreasing utility to the individual accumulating it, and the humanitarian goal of providing a threshold level of civilization to all is a worthy use of the extremes of excess. A component function of most governments is to try to accomplish this redistribution goal, and that seems reasonable to me. However, the execution of that process is often terribly flawed by the undue and inappropriate use of power and influence to affect the process in a way not consistent with the original goal. That's why politicians need to be held to a higher standard of ethics than non-political folks. And so far as I can tell, the politicians have been failing miserably as a group.

You either take a humanitarian approach to this, or take a self-centric approach, and therein lies the answer.

Last edited:
Cliff, we are friends, but I don't speak lawyer. I am to understand that you believe that there should be a greater percentage paid by high wage earners because they had the opportunity to make the money in a civilized country? Doesn't the least wage earner have the same opportunities as everyone else to live, what I used to call "the American Dream"? Because everyone has the same opportunity to get paid for their own genious and hard work, this idea of charging a differnt rate irrelevant. By all of us paying such a large percentage of taxes, the government is taking this utility from the overall economy and spending it on entitlements. Our governor recently said that me, as a business man, will be charged more in taxes because the Washington government has created an atmosphere where I can be "successful". This is flawed reasoning as our state government has done nothing to create anything for me or my companies except for putting great road blocks in out way of success. I'm afraid that without the huge amount of taxes that we pay, our state government wouldn't exist. On a larger scale, this is the same situation at the Federal level. The idea that people are successful because of anything other than an individuals own efforts is arrogant.

BTW, I am still waiting for my parts from Ian and company.

Jim, I still would like to hear your take on what is fair.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Tom,

In a perfect world "fair" would be everyone pays exactly the same amount, right?

But the world is not perfect, some think a flat percent on income is fair, but you still have some paying more than others, "fair" is gone!

A flat tax would work, if we carefully work out the services that we as a people want from "Government". From roads to aircraft carriers, dog catchers to Presidents, Social security to health care....................

Then each year do the math, but as we all know, the chances of that happening are essentually zero, plus some will pay more than others, fair is gone!

Additionally, fair would be equal work would bring equal reward, but that is also a pipe dream.

For every Bill Gates there are hundreds, even thousands who worked just as hard, invested just as much in time, energy, wealth and skill, who ended up with anywhere from billions to debt.

Thats not fair ether, is it?

For every Wallmart there are thousands of.......................
For every Ben and Jerry there are thousands of................

You get the picture.

The same effort sometimes leads to rewards, sometimes not. Sometimes its skill, sometimes its luck, sometimes its being ruthless...............

Now, as an example, Bill Gates has made Billions, yes he won. But in winning, how many similar efforts did he bankrupt? How many folks with just as much skill, just as much effort, just as many good ideas did Microsoft kill? Does he owe anything to them, maybe just a little more in taxes?

Yes being successful is great, our society has rewarded the Gates and the Waltons big time.

Like I said, "FAIR" would be equal effort brings equal success. But without that, I strongly believe that after a certin amount of massive profit, all the rest (investment, inheratance, on shore, off shore, all of it) should be taxed at a higher rate.

Yes life, who wins and who loses, IS NOT FAIR, so lets do just a little to make it more fair.

Tom, once you get away from everyone paying exactly the same amount, "FAIR" no longer applies, does it?

Last edited:
Cliff, we are friends, but I don't speak lawyer. I am to understand that you believe that there should be a greater percentage paid by high wage earners because they had the opportunity to make the money in a civilized country? Doesn't the least wage earner have the same opportunities as everyone else to live, what I used to call "the American Dream"? Because everyone has the same opportunity to get paid for their own genious and hard work, this idea of charging a differnt rate irrelevant. By all of us paying such a large percentage of taxes, the government is taking this utility from the overall economy and spending it on entitlements. Our governor recently said that me, as a business man, will be charged more in taxes because the Washington government has created an atmosphere where I can be "successful". This is flawed reasoning as our state government has done nothing to create anything for me or my companies except for putting great road blocks in out way of success. I'm afraid that without the huge amount of taxes that we pay, our state government wouldn't exist. On a larger scale, this is the same situation at the Federal level. The idea that people are successful because of anything other than an individuals own efforts is arrogant.

BTW, I am still waiting for my parts from Ian and company.

Jim, I still would like to hear your take on what is fair.

Tom,

Yes, absolutely, I personally believe the tax rate structure should be HIGHLY progressive. Some reasoning behind this:

1. Those with wealth always enjoy a disproportionate influence and control over government and the important decisions which govern everyone. A progressive tax rate structure helps to discourage the unlimited concentration of power (through the exercise of wealth and influence), which I think we can all agree is something to be avoided.

2. If you're already "ultra-wealthy" do you really need another million (or billion)? No. If you don't have any shoes nor a place to sleep, do you need a few thousand bucks? Yeah.

3. The ultra-wealthy disproportionately benefit from the opportunities created by a civilized society governed by laws and ethics. They should at least pay an equivalent tax burden (ie. a flat tax for all), and I would say a progressive tax burden, but the fact of the matter is they don't. The effective tax rates of Mitt R and Warren Buffet are just two very typical examples of the ultra-wealthy - their effective rate is less than most middle income tax payers. The stats are there, and thems the facts.

4. The ultra-wealthy have the resources to hire people to be slippery about paying taxes....most low/middle income taxpayers can't afford such maneuvers and thus the ultra-wealthy should have a progressively higher rate.

5. A highly progressive tax structure doesn't mean that people are somehow discouraged to excel or suffer a somber mood towards their potential lot in life (think 1950's USSR....), one of the countries with the highest per capita income is Norway. Norway has hugely progressive tax rates. And, incidentally, Norway comes out consistently on top as the "happiest" country in the world. People get along there, and it's a civilized and decent place to live.

And while you may think that Washington State (or the Federal Government) hasn't done much to allow you to benefit from a business climate that fosters opportunity and healthy business , go try to run a business in Mexico or North Korea or Afghanistan. The State and Fed governments (and the local) are what makes the difference, along with a populace that generally believes in the idea of governance generally, of course. I do understand what you're saying however.....the State and Feds are horribly inefficient with our hard earned tax dollars...

As a guy who has paid seven figures in personal income tax in a couple different years I would have loved to pay less....but that just wouldn't have been fair in my mind. I used to be involved in tax planning as a tax attorney when I was much younger so I have lots of first hand experience with how the ultra-wealthy manage to keep their money in their hands while plenty of others don't have shoes or health care or a place to bed down for the night. It's just plain uncivilized.

As friends speaking plainly, I have to disagree about everyone having an equal opportunity to make it....that's completely false. Many people are brought into the world with wealth, privilege, much better parenting than others, natural abilities that far exceed the average, etc. It's completely an uneven playing field. And for those who got the short end of the stick it's reasonable that they're given a helping hand by those who had an advantage. It's one of the things that helps to keep us all civilized as a group.

That's just my $.02.

ps. crap, I was really hoping Ian/CAV/RCR would have manned up and done something to resolve it.

Last edited:
Couldn't have said it better Cliff. I'd venture to say many of us paid higher tax rates in the 1990's, but did just fine. Wealth disparity in this country is increasing at an alarming rate mainly because the super rich have the political influence to twist the tax code with tricks like carried interest or are CEO's with rubber stamp Boards. Tackling the deficit requires higher revenues AND spending cuts. GOP needs to give on taxing the rich and Dems need to get serious on entitlement reform. I figure we're going over the cliff before anybody in DC gets serious.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I figure we're going over the cliff before anybody in DC gets serious.

Agreed.

It might not be the end of the world as we know it.

So we all get to pay a little more taxes, nobody likes paying any taxes but as long as we get to fund our government life will go on.

I'm with Jim....we ought to have some sort of referendum in which the people of the U.S. can specify exactly which services they want from the government...majority vote, just like an election. It could be repeated every 4 years right after the presidential election so that the newly elected president would know what the majority of the population wants from him AND from congress. Not too hard to work out....I also believe we should have recall elections, would love the chance to vote to recall that F'in :furious: Boehner !!!

I know I would NOT vote for subsidies/favoritism to the tobacco industry or the oil industry...just two of my favorite peeves, though, yours may differ and almost certainly will :stunned: .

Cheers!

Doug

As another punch bowl gets ruined, as usual, with bloated filibustering, I would love to end this thread with the quote below, priceless.

Perfect timing on this thread Bob.
My daughter a high school senior did a presentation in her economics class this morning, using the info in video. The teacher a democrat was impressed and considering it was contradicting his propaganda throughout the school year, he was lost for words. She did receive an "A" on both the subject matter and the presentation. I'm sure he will be up all night thinking about this and will have comments tomorrow.

Bob, thanks for posting.
You know that I took all the credit.

Wayne

Thank you Cliff for being so articulate and presenting your thoughts so well thought out. It appears that part of the beef in this depate is what the ultra wealthy pay in percentage to what others pay. So, if we charge them a higher rate and they find loopholes of some kind, they end up paying a lower tax rate than the middle class. I get that. So, by simplifying the tax code so there are no loopholes at all, that would be more fair for everyone. What I am getting at is that if there was a flat tax with no exemptions, that would be fair. The wealthy would be paying more overall and the poor would still have some skin on the game, but the percentage of what is earned is the same. Of course, I know that this would never happen in our country. Just like the idea that every minority group in congress wants term limits until they are the majority, then it is not important any longer.

Of course there are people that are born privledged and others not. My contention is that everyone that chooses to work hard and/or has a great idea, can become financially successful in our country. We see it all of the time. There are those that are born in special cercumstances that really do nothing in life but spend their inheritance. There are those that are given nothing, but become millionares. The opportunity is there for all, if they choose to overcome their personal disadvantages. You are right, we are not born equal, but in America, everyone can become financially independant. I believe that as I am one that was born uberpoor and have done well while overcoming big obsticals.

Jim, thanks for your input. I feel that the percentage would be fair, not the exact dollars. This takes into account the overall differential in cercumstances. Like I said, my idea won't ever pass in this congress because I think they want the loopholes and to keep the taxe code very difficult to wade through. I kept hearing the montra "the wealthy need to pay their fair share". No one has yet to tell me what that is. What is the fair share of someone in the top 2% of Americas top wage earners? Remember, you can shave a sheep every year, but you can only skin him once.

I gave them the ok to send me the parts which they say are made up COD so I will pay for shipping after all of this. That was 2 months ago. I understand the parts are in the USA now in Fran's posession.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Not your fault, Tom. A couple of guys here will do whatever it takes to bury the other side of any debate here.

Mr Fechter, you have a lot of nerve!

Everyone knows that you make a cottage industry out of insulting people, changing the subject and refusing to answer questions!

You see, Tom asked a questions related to taxes and what is fair, Doug, Cliff and I then spent some time answering them, without name calling or insults, see how that works?

Its called a discussion, you should try it some time!

Last edited:
Like any other garden variety megalomaniacal narcissist, you demand the definitions, terms, accepted topics, and proof of the debate on your terms. There's probably a disease coined for people who stubbornly refuse to acquiesce to such demands. That would be me.

In your bubble, you're number one, and that's why you are so universally loved by all here.

You're not on "ignore," but you are ignored, as of this post.

Mr Fechter, you have a lot of nerve!

Everyone knows that you make a cottage industry out of insulting people, changing the subject and refusing to answer questions!

You see, Tom asked a questions related to taxes and what is fair, Doug, Cliff and I then spent some time answering them, without name calling or insults, see how that works?

Its called a discussion, you should try it some time!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
It seems Mrs Romer is a little confused...........If she knows that a "tax hike will kill the recovery", why would she say this?

From Reuters

In yesterday’s NY Times, former White House economist Christina Romer offered a rather strange op-ed in favor of tax increases. The crux of her argument is this:
The economic evidence doesn’t support the anti-tax view. Both tax increases and spending cuts will tend to slow the recovery in the near term, but spending cuts will likely slow it more. Over the longer term, sensible tax increases will probably do less damage to economic growth and productivity than cuts in government investment.

She also said that the Obama stimulus package would keep unemployment under 8%

Economist Christina Romer regrets saying jobless rate would stay below 8 percent

By Lori Montgomery
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, August 7, 2010

As she prepares to step down as President Obama's chief economist, Christina Romer said Friday that she wishes she could redo one of her first official acts for the president: last January's forecast that a big shot of federal spending would save millions of jobs and keep the unemployment rate under 8 percent.

It seems that she is more than a little confused.............

Last edited:
Back