Door Hinge Cup spherical bearing/joint required

Hi all,

I am doing some body assembly work for Mr Moorhouse down here in Devon, some of you here may already know Mike.

Mike purchased a new set of doors and centre section for his car from Chris Melia, I have only completed a few hours work and so far the parts have gone together extremely well and we are both thrilled with the results attained so far - this shall turn out to be a cracking car!

Now the only problem (no fault of Chris's) is that the doors came with a 1/2" sized hinge as opposed to 12mm as used on the old doors and so they wont fit our existing spherical bearings/joints that sit in the door hinge cups (this is the same set up as used on the GTD's)

I cannot for the life of me find a spherical bearing with a 1/2" ID with an OD approx 22mm or below. Does anybody here have any bearings that fit these requirements or know of anybody whom i may purchase any from?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Adam

Adam,
Speak to Mick Sollis. I have the same doors for my Roy Smart GTD (I bought my body from Chris). I got my hinges from Mick and they are top notch.

Brett

I don't know what the dimensions are, but the hinges for Lotus Elans (the old ones, not the M100s) use spherical bearings.

Adam:
My Aurora catalog lists a bearing with a .5" ID and a .875" OD, I know this is larger than your 22mm spec, but only by .009".
You mentioned the thru hole is 1/2", I would suggest the possibility of turning the ends of the shaft thru the door down to 7/16 (.4375), or 12 mm (.472), then you will be able to find a bearing under or at the dimension you need.
I have not seen a bearing with both metric and inch measurements, but it may exist. I think you should be able to find an easy solution to your problem.
Hope some of this helps.
Cheers
Phil

Back