DRB Build in Mount Isa

The horn button was my design I originally brought the standard looking one but looked too big for the steering wheel so of down to a local machine shop, told them what I wanted and this is the end result still looks like the same stile as back in the sixty’s but with a modern twist and that is how I would like the whole car to look.

Attachments

• IMG600.jpg
    IMG600.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG601.jpg
    IMG601.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 443
So I've run into a bit of a problem, once I moved the engine down and forward to make it fit now I cant get a sump that will fit canton do one that's close a front sump that is 5 inches deep, and muldoon do one that is 4 1/2 inches deep but it's a rear sump this is all well and good for a cobra but I've only got 100 mm (that's close to 4 inches). Looks like I have to make one.

So with and idea of what I need to do, first I cut the mounting plate off the old sump to reuse then off to the steel shop to get some 1.6mm sheet then draw up the basic shape on the sheet and get it cut (total cost $10) then 1/2 hour with a special bending tool (a bit of pipe in the vice) got the shape of the sump, next were to make some baffles and trap doors for oil control inside the oil pan I got some small hinges from the local hardware store ($4.75 for six hinges gee this is getting expensive) then bent up the baffles cut out the doors and drill some holes for oil flow. then do a mock up and it even looks professional. now to mod the pick up I was going to try and reuse the pick up but after a unsuccessful attempt at trying to get it off the pipe I'll just make my own at this stage the pick up is half done but I don't have a photo so I'll post that later, the last pic is the original sump.

Attachments

• sump 03.jpg
    sump 03.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 427
  • sump 01.jpg
    sump 01.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 419
  • sump 04.jpg
    sump 04.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 418
  • sump 05.jpg
    sump 05.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 393
  • sump 07.jpg
    sump 07.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 421
  • sump 09.jpg
    sump 09.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 428
  • sump 10.jpg
    sump 10.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 423
  • sump 12.jpg
    sump 12.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 432
  • sump 02.jpg
    sump 02.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 417
Darren,
Looks like you are making progress.
I have a question on your tail lights as I like the LED tail lights.
Where did you get them or what car are they from?
Thank's Mark

Darren

You come across as a handy fabricator.
I looked at what you are doing when I built mine, I have a modular engine.
I dry sumped it because of the eng height issue, I made everything other than the pump(ozzi made pump) and It was all up about $3000 finished.

I do not regret one cent of that money, I have had 8 track days and I just dont even think about oil surge.

The amount of oil surge issues on this site was the decider for me.

Jim

Darren,
Looks like you are making progress.
I have a question on your tail lights as I like the LED tail lights.
Where did you get them or what car are they from?
Thank's Mark

Hi Mark the tail lights are a Britax unit part number L14.00 they are a universal light for a truck and or trailer but they fit perfectly as they are 140mm round

Darren

You come across as a handy fabricator.
I looked at what you are doing when I built mine, I have a modular engine.
I dry sumped it because of the eng height issue, I made everything other than the pump(ozzi made pump) and It was all up about $3000 finished.

I do not regret one cent of that money, I have had 8 track days and I just dont even think about oil surge.

The amount of oil surge issues on this site was the decider for me.

Jim

Jim I hear what you are saying about the oil serge, but the girl friend is pitting the hard word on me to get out of the Isa but before I can do that I want/ have to finish some of the many projects that I've got going main one being the house started with a 3.6 meter renovation and has turned into a 15 meter rebuild because of the real good workmanship from when it was built.http://www.gt40s.com/forum/images/smilies/furious.gif
also have got a ford falcon xb hardtop that needs finishing but its close (here is a pic from Australia day) so I once its finished I can spend more time on the gt40 and to try and get it going at lest before we leave. Then I can change what ever needs to be done later

Attachments

• IMG611.jpg
    IMG611.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG607.jpg
    IMG607.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 381
As promised here are the pictures of the sump pick up sorry there are no development pic's I just wanted to get it done

Attachments

• sump pick up.jpg
    sump pick up.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 361
  • sump pick up01.jpg
    sump pick up01.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 360
  • sump pick up02.jpg
    sump pick up02.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 386
Well it’s been waaay to long since I’ve been on here so a quick update

I got the sump all welded up and ready to fit but didn’t like it because it was to heavy so scraped it and made it out of aluminium and it fits and holds 7 Lts of oil
Got tyres for the wheels and there fitted could have gone wider but still looks good suspension is now done with AVO adjustable coil overs front and rear

Made coolant and a/c line mounts for under the center consul, then ran all the coolant lines
IMG_20170401_182420.jpg

IMG_20170401_183003.jpg
Ended up turning the intake manifold around and extending the wiring but this would cause a drama later when making the exhaust
Made a gear shit thanks to a design I got from on here
Couldn’t find an exhaust I liked so I made one myself it’s a crossover and its configured so the pulses of the pipes go into a circle as they enter the collector I’m not sure if it achieves anything but I did it anyway the primaries are all within 50mm in length then had to make the rest of the exhaust to fit with cats and mufflers I copied the design from another gt40 in Australia I think its Doms? But to keep the noise down I was going to fit x-force mufflers with noise control butterflies in them but they were to long for the space I had so I cut them up and shortened them to fit and wired them to a switch on the dash, all work awesome then sent the hole lot down to Brisbane to get ceramic coated
CAM00458.jpg

CAM00468.jpg

CAM00471.jpg

CAM00483.jpg

CAM00495.jpg

CAM00501.jpg

CAM00507.jpg

IMG_8055.jpg

CAM00512.jpg

IMG_20170702_170723.jpg

Made a housing to go under the rear vent to hold the air filter so it won’t pick up hot air from the engine
IMG_20170715_145301.jpg

Also got a single outlet radiator nostril just because I like the look more
IMG_20170702_165454.jpg

I’ve tried to keep the engine bay less cluttered as possible, made up carbon fibre covers for the fuel tanks and back wall

Made a fibreglass panel for behind the rear cabin window so it flows into the rear calm better and covers the fuel tank vents and roll cage
IMG_0759.jpg
The engine now runs but the fuel pump didn’t last long replaced two under warranty then decided stuff it and fitted a Walbro pump no dramas since has anyone else had issues with Aeromotive pumps?
I got the head lights mounted and working – don’t like them so time for version 4 I’m using ford festiva head lights there a little bit smaller so should look better

Making the brake kit now I’ve got brembo 6 pot for the front and 4 pot for the rear from a ford falcon FG sprint front rotors are Baer hats and FG rotors rear are Baer hats and some off the shelf rotor from the states that I’m still waiting on once there here I can finish designing the calliper mounts and get them made

I thinks that it there is probably more stuff that I’ve forgotten
IMG_20170702_171539.jpg
I’ve wasted too much time doing other things instead of just finishing this car, my partner wanted to learn cars so I got her a 66 bug to pull apart and rebuild she removed one headlight and one tail light then lost interest so rebuilt a bug, built a bar for my father just to say thanks for all that he’s done for me when growing up, made a new welding trolley yeah the whole family kinda likes vws except for mum who likes rotarys so I’ve also started building her a RX3 coupe with rx8 interior to be more comfortable, put a v8 into my SWB land cruiser and a later model front end on it, fitted a quad cam 5.4lt v8 into my purple falcon to make it more drivable, made a slot car track just because, also have been renovating the house lesson learnt don’t by a house off a builder that is renting it out to a sparkie what a disaster that turned out to be and also a few holidays thrown in there to but these are all excuses and I really need to concentrate on one thing at a time
IMG_9838.jpg

CAM00562.jpg

IMG_20180120_094523.jpg

IMG_20180508_084304.jpg

IMG_20180309_163712.jpg

IMG_20170204_182951.jpg

Your engine bay is spectacular- possibly the best “ modernisation” of a 40 I have seen well done!
How is progress?
Where did you get that single nostril from?

Back