Edelbrock ProFlo2 EFI

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I have the initial version on mine, LOVE IT. Easy to install, hit the starter, fires right up, idles out smoothly, great power (302, mild cam, 350h/350tq).

Do you have a specific question?

Chris

Hi Chris,
I'm trying to get a good starting point for the maps, both fuel and spark. I just got a wide band O2 with a AFR gage so I can get the fuel dialed in but the starting spark map is not even close. Any guidance you could provide would help greatly. My engine is a 302 with GT40X 58cc heads (1.94/1.54) the cam is a Comp cams roller with .513 lift both intale/exhaust and 218*/224* @ .050. Thanks again
Steve

Nice Neal!!!

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Steve,

I'll admit to being pretty low-tech with mine. It has an O2 sensor and a little game-boy type of control panel with it for the cockpit which I use to have it run in closed loop mode. I let it take care of itself for now, which it does very well. I haven't monkeyed with modifying maps yet- it's been plug and play.

One thing I can recommend is to call the Edelbrock tech line. You may spend a bit of time on hold to get someone, but I have been genuinely happy with their level of understanding and the time they took individually to help me. I don't know if your system has an EPROM chip, but if it does you may want to confirm it's the proper chip for your motor. That might be a place to start.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Chris

Thanks Chris,
Mine has been anything but plug and play. I am having to modify both the spark and fuel maps. I have found that this is not really possible without an AFR gage and a wide band O2 sensor so I have purchased one and will install it this week. Sorry I didn't get back with you sooner, we have been visiting grand children. I'll let you know how it all ends up.
Steve

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have a engine very near your spec. It's just a bit below 10 to 1 compression and runs very well on 91 octane California gas.

The ignition system is MSD 6AL and a small cap billet MSD distributor. I don't really think the engine cares how the spark advance is done just that the specs are correct so even with your much more advance equipment I think it will run pretty well with the following.

sorry double post see below

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have a engine very near your spec. It's just a bit below 10 to 1 compression and runs very well on 91 octane California gas.

The ignition system is MSD 6AL and a small cap billet MSD distributor. I don't really think the engine cares how the spark advance is done, just that the specs are correct, so even with your much more advance equipment I think it will run pretty well with the following.

Total advance 34 degrees. I have mine set to be fully advanced, 34 at 2500 RPM's by using the correct distributor springs and other little bits. You will just set yours on your computer.

This gets me a idle initial advance of about 14 degrees @ aprox 900 revs.

The engine runs crispt and pulls very well from low speed. (under 2000 rpms)

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have a engine very near your spec. It's just a bit below 10 to 1 compression and runs very well on 91 octane California gas. Same heads, close cam specs.

The ignition system is MSD 6AL and a small cap billet MSD distributor. I don't really think the engine cares how the spark advance is done, just that the specs are correct, so even with your much more advance equipment I think it will run pretty well with the following.

Total advance 34 degrees. I have mine set to be fully advanced, 34 at 2500 RPM's by using the correct distributor springs and other little bits. You will just set yours on your computer.

This gets me a idle initial advance of about 14 degrees @ aprox 900 revs.

The engine runs crispt and pulls very well from low speed. (under 2000 rpms)

Hi Howard,
I had the same setup that you are running setup exactly the same and it ran great. Edelbrock kept trying to tell me that I should be running much more advance at all RPM's and that's what was screwing me up. I went back and set the timing as you suggested like the MSD and it's much better. I have had to mess with the fuel map quite a bit and it seems like it's getting closer. It has been a pain, I'll update as I progress. Thanks for your help.

Steve

Well, it's been a few months since my last update and there has been some progress. After messing with the AFR for the last two months I'm finally colse with the fuel MAP. I went back to the same advance I was running with the MSD and the car runs great. I still have some fine tuning to do but when I pull away from a full stop now and give it full throttle at about 2000RPM it brakes the 295's loose at about 4000RPM and the car slides to the right just a little! VERY FUN!!! In all respects it's better, it starts right up and idles on it's own, there are no flat spots and will hold any RPM smoothly at any speed. Whenever you stab the throttle it rev's and will go until you let off. I am sure there will be fine tuning for the next few months but it is better now than it ever was with a carb.

Steve

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Glad to hear it Steve. Congrats on getting it sorted, now the fun fine tuning begins- along with lots of trials! Enjoy!

Chris

Back