Edumacate a noob on transaxles?

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
I know, I know, use the search function.... I did! I swear! I've read so many trans threads, I'm more confused than ever! Plus, they all turn into a battle with Wanni sooner or later ;)!

Unless I stumble across a completed car I like, somewhere in the near-ish future is a MkI GT (SPF or RCR), probably with a Roush 353ir. I may not be much of a shoe, but I'm an even worse wrench, so keeping a legit 8-stack happy is way beyond me. Semi-stealthy fake-webber FI sounds more attractive than a boring Holley or something...

Obviously, the roller and the engine are the easy part (except for writing the check!), but it's the transaxle that drives one mad. So, feel free to chime in, or tear me a new one for ignorance!

Here's my questions, short and sweet:

1 - I want a ZF (or clone) as opposed to an Audi-Getrag, right?
2 - Chris Melia's ZFQ looks like the absolute amazing choice, right?
3 - Can a civilian purchase a ZFQ any time soon? Waiting list length?
4 - Does Wanni sell a street trans? Or are his products race-oriented?
5 - RBT makes a ZF clone from scratch, right? Year-long backlog, right?
6 - Ricardo trans from 2005 Ford GT won't fit, right?
7 - Is rod vs. cable shifting a function of the trans design, or chassis design? For instance, rods only convenient on sill-shift cars? I've only driven a rod-shift once, and I think I loved it! Elise is cable shifted, and not exactly "clicky".
8 - Anyone have any luck sourcing transaxles from the engine installer, like Olthoff? Didn't know if they are into providing complete GT packages or if you're on your own when it comes to the trans.

I love the idea of the ZFQ, which seems to be a freshly engineered, exact-fit, high-spec unit, as opposed to a well-thrashed ex-Pantera box with an upside-down crown gear or whatever....

If you were me, what would you do about a trans for a MkI with 353ir?

Thanks, experts! rockonsmile boomsmile

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
:dead:
1 - Yes. But don't forget the Porsche turbo trans. RCR cater for these.
2 - Right
3 - Contact Chris
4 - I think he has several street trannies. Contact him. May not be interested in a one off sale though. Or trans only sale.
5 - Right. Right. From what we are led to believe on here.
6 - Right.
7 - I always think rod shift is more positive, but it gets too complicated with centre shift. There are some excellent cable shift setups out there, usually Jap based shifters. Sill rod shift is classic and simple, so go with that.
8 - I think Fran (RCR) sources the occasional tranny for customers, but talk to your supplier.

Since you asked, if I were you, I would go for a 930 trans. Best bang for buck. Or a G50/52. Both will handle the torque as well as, or better than, an RBT. And at a fraction of the cost. ZFQ would be next choice, if you want to be a guinea pig. No doubt they will be fine but they have not really been proven yet.

All the above IMHO of course.

Cheers

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
If your going with SPF then better stick with ZFQ, RBT or ZF, I have measured and researched for different transaxles for my car and it boils down to those choices so far. Has anyone seen a different transaxle in an SPF car other than ZF or RBT-ZF? Here are a few pictures I have taken with a tape measure in hand. The measurements are taken from the front of the transaxle case.

Attachments

• IMG_8277.jpg
    IMG_8277.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_8275.jpg
    IMG_8275.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_8281.jpg
    IMG_8281.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_8280.jpg
    IMG_8280.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 648
Russ is correct I do keep boxes in stock for my customers...currently have
three ZF 5 speed.
One RBT six speed
Three 930 boxes,
Two Audi
Four G50's...take your pick.

I know, I know, use the search function.... I did! I swear! I've read so many trans threads, I'm more confused than ever! Plus, they all turn into a battle with Wanni sooner or later ;)!

Unless I stumble across a completed car I like, somewhere in the near-ish future is a MkI GT (SPF or RCR), probably with a Roush 353ir. I may not be much of a shoe, but I'm an even worse wrench, so keeping a legit 8-stack happy is way beyond me. Semi-stealthy fake-webber FI sounds more attractive than a boring Holley or something...

Obviously, the roller and the engine are the easy part (except for writing the check!), but it's the transaxle that drives one mad. So, feel free to chime in, or tear me a new one for ignorance!

Here's my questions, short and sweet:

1 - I want a ZF (or clone) as opposed to an Audi-Getrag, right?
2 - Chris Melia's ZFQ looks like the absolute amazing choice, right?
3 - Can a civilian purchase a ZFQ any time soon? Waiting list length?
4 - Does Wanni sell a street trans? Or are his products race-oriented?
5 - RBT makes a ZF clone from scratch, right? Year-long backlog, right?
6 - Ricardo trans from 2005 Ford GT won't fit, right?
7 - Is rod vs. cable shifting a function of the trans design, or chassis design? For instance, rods only convenient on sill-shift cars? I've only driven a rod-shift once, and I think I loved it! Elise is cable shifted, and not exactly "clicky".
8 - Anyone have any luck sourcing transaxles from the engine installer, like Olthoff? Didn't know if they are into providing complete GT packages or if you're on your own when it comes to the trans.

I love the idea of the ZFQ, which seems to be a freshly engineered, exact-fit, high-spec unit, as opposed to a well-thrashed ex-Pantera box with an upside-down crown gear or whatever....

If you were me, what would you do about a trans for a MkI with 353ir?

Thanks, experts! rockonsmile boomsmile

HI,
Wanni is much more orientated on street transaxles. Anyway they are all designed in order to remove the helical and synchronised gears and to fit the spur and dog gears even without changing one washer of the shifting mechanism. It is possible to have the H pattern shifting, the sequential shifting the remote automated shifting and the integrate automated shifting.
The ratios are not so many, but 6 final drives ( from 4,333 to 2,923 ) are available in order to match more or less all the engine revolutions and all the tire sizes currently used on mid engined super cars.
The smallest unit takes an input torque of 750 Nm - with a max output torque of 6.000Nm - the medium sixe takes in 900 Nm delivering 9.000 Nm - the big boy, still not available because still in testing, takes 1.250 Nm, it is a 7 speed and delivers to the ground up to 12.000 Nm (dual clutch system in option on this unit)
If you need more, come to me privately.
Ciao Wanni

Attachments

• T750_&_T900.pdf
    322 KB · Views: 565
  • 20izc0025-5_data-mounting.pdf
    646 KB · Views: 262
  • T750H_&_T900H_Dimensions.pdf
    540.9 KB · Views: 243

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
This is very helpful, everyone.... I realize that the current answer to the transaxle question is always in flux, and having "this week's" opinion is helpful. Keep 'em coming! ;)

Chris Duncan

Supporter
If cost is a factor then a used porsche box is in order.

Cable or rod shift, either one is okay, the difference is in the quality of the unit. You have to spend about $100.00 per cable, and look for something that's heat resistant.

Cable style is better in a crowded application (which most 40's have), cable routing is more flexible.

I spent too many hours on a rod shift on the side, it worked fine but left no room for the seat, ended up going down the center with cables.

Russ is correct I do keep boxes in stock for my customers...currently have
three ZF 5 speed.
One RBT six speed
Three 930 boxes,
Two Audi
Four G50's...take your pick.

Fran,
a friend of mine would be interested in 1 of your ZF.
He is the President of the Lamborghini Owners Club Deutschland.
Come privately to me, I will give you the direct contact.
Ciao
Wanni

Back