Electric powered SL-C

Hi all, have been keenly following the builds so far and with the advances in elec power was wondering if anyone has considered electric power for the SL-C?

david

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Get hold of Fran at RCR--as I recall one of his early builds was an electric.

Doug

Get hold of Fran at RCR--as I recall one of his early builds was an electric.

Doug

He did and electric SLR; don't know about an SLC......

But you don't really want electric in an SLC, do you? SLC should sound like 'VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM', not '(insert white noise)'

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
He did and electric SLR; don't know about an SLC......

Aaaaaah....so glad you remembered that, Alex....at my age the old saying "The memory is the first thing to go" is oh, so true!

My apologies to the OP for giving him incorrect information.

Doug

Although quiet, max torque at 0 rpm is very nice!

I come from an automotive background in electric and hybrid systems. We can definetly build an amazing all electric or hybrid car based from the SLC...the only issue currently is cost.....

Good batteries and big electric motors cost $$$$$$$$$$

- Dan

Thanks all, yes it seems that the batteries are a bit of a problem so i will stick with an LSA (if I have the height available). Strange the way Discovery channel says that the new lighter, quicker charging, cheaper, longer lasting concept batteries will be available in 5 to 10 years. If it's a new concept then how can they know :confused:

Thanks all, yes it seems that the batteries are a bit of a problem so i will stick with an LSA (if I have the height available). Strange the way Discovery channel says that the new lighter, quicker charging, cheaper, longer lasting concept batteries will be available in 5 to 10 years. If it's a new concept then how can they know :confused:

Aliens have told them so :stunned:

marc

Lifetime Supporter
actually since I have done an electric conversion (miata) there is a kit for about 18k or so that will do well in an slc. look up www.evcomponents.com that is the cost of a well built engine transaxle that you could do. add an 8.8 rear from a lincoln or thunderbird and there it is.

We have been working on an EL-C.

Third round of Lithium batteries now....seems the technology has not really trickled down to mainstream at all.

We used Kokam batteries first and they leaked...thermal event anyone???
Thundersky were not man enough
We are onto A123 now ...third times a charm

Last edited:
Maybe it's me but what is the alure of an electric SLC. The weight added is huge and there is no benefit at all (if you want to be able to drive further than 200 miles). Think about this... The amount of carbon produced to create the electricity to run anything with a battery is the same as if it were run on a gas engine (more if you consider alternate forms of fuel). Remember guys the electricity has to come from somewhere. This although a cool thing for brangig rights is nothing but a watse of a great chasis. I could be wrong at this level (bespoke) & I understand that we all want something akin to our own dreams at what cost.

I can understand why Fran would do this (great marketing tool) but come on guys there is almost no benefit from this and it will weigh the car down (although the weight can be placed pretty much any ). Fran I have to ask just how much does the whole drive system weigh (motors and batteries, wires and electronics)? Like I said a cool idea for the tree huggers but those types don't buy SLC's or anything similar!!!!!

Fran before you answer I have to say that I was involved with a company (on the finance side) that did electric conversions on gas cars (actually building an electric drag car at present) so my question was more retorical than anything else. Spend your energy elsewhere guys and leave the SLC alone. You want a toy go buy an Tesla.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Like I said a cool idea for the tree huggers but those types don't buy SLC's or anything similar!!!!!

Generalizations like this typically land you on someone's bad side. You're not there with me - yet...

I'm one of those people that would want to do this - not so much from the GREEN perspective but just to work with alternative energy sources.

Until you experience full "deadly silent" torque at Zero RPM, you've not yet had all the fun you could be...

I've already got one Electric Motorcycle conversion and am working on another. A Series Hybrid Car is on my short list as well...

And guess what my daily driver is! A Toyota Camry "Hybrid"...

BTW - The weight and price of the batteries is coming down and the duration is going up.

Carbon footprint - Baloney...

I too would be very interested in an electrically powered GT40. My main reason being a technical interest in electrically powered vehicles, but another motivation is the tax reduction. Here in Norway, the amount of tax on regular internal combustion powered vehicles is about 100%. Probably more for a high powered V8 like the ones normally used.

The tax on EVs over here though is 0 or thereabouts. In addition, EVs get to use the bus lane. :) Whether or not it would be possible to get it registered is a big question that I would start investigating if RCR ever decide to market one at a price that I would find acceptable.

My current sports car that I absolutely love to bits doesn't have a thrilling engine sound, so I'm not addicted to that. It's uncomfortable and noisy, and I use it mostly to and from work, and short trips. So the step to an electrically powered sports car wouldn't be a great one for me.

The Tesla doesn't really appeal to me, and the few cornering shots I've seen of it on track don't impress at all. Though I must admit I haven't investigated thoroughly. Besides, a new one would be far too expensive.

So I'll be following this thread from time to time. Keep up the good work, Fran!

I didn't mean to put anyone off by my statements I was just stating my opinion from the experience that i have with this type of thing (read previous posts). How many Tesla's do you see (NOT IN CA)? How many hybrid cars IN PRODUCTION could be called or are called sports cars? Now of the two that posted one admitedly wants to do it for sh!@# and giggles (to PLAY WITH alternate fuels) and the other thinks that the Tesla is far to expensive (I have a feeling that a optioned out SLC with Electric running gear is going to run you the same if not more) so again I have to ask why an SLC? You don't buy a GT40 or the like that would bring you to this forum if GREEN LIVING was a major concern as the very herritage & nature of these cars go against everything that life style is about. Maybe it is just me but I want to hear, feel and experience all that these cars and GAS MOTORS have to offer. Again I am only stating my opinion and yes the saying holds true maybe a little more so in my case :drunk:.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Like it shows on my signature I have built an electric. Although it is a miata, the setup is about 350HP and 500# tq. the big cost and technology is the batteries, but mine is NOT slow by any means with cheap gel cells. What is big deal is motor and speed control.

An Electric car choice is a matter of compromise and knowing what you can and cannot due. An ICE (EV'ers call it...'internal combustion engine') has a wider use matrix than electric.

I race mine on the quarter mile, solo racing, and grocery getting, but not at the same time. 3 runs down the quarter mile and it needs a full charge. similar with the "cone racing". and distance runs are about 50 to 60 miles (easy on the loud pedal).

Also don't think they are "reliable" for non tech people (wife). They are of the turn it on, go, and not think about it. You have to be very mindful of where you live will you get home and keep and eye on the "gas gauge".

Now I don't have the killer batteries Fran was working with ($15k to $30k) so I can't compare, but hey what the heck, the batteries were only $2500.

can it be done, yes. will you like the results, I don't know. would you do that to a perfectly good SL-C, HELL NO!

Back