Electric Vechicles Are Here - The world is rapidly going to S#@!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
If the batteries are so safe, go along to United Airways and ask if they will air in a replacement battery for your Tesla.

That said I did look at EV and Hybrid as I am currently changing my daily driver, neither was available at a price point that made them viable, and EV did not have the range to drive down to London to visit my daughter, reqioring at least 2 recharges along the way. Instead i just signed up for a three year 1000 CC turbo three cylinder box that has similar power to my old one. In 3 years I will look again.

ian

If you are a tax payer, you should remember "Cash for Clunkers'...

The word "required" was used, Cash for Clunkers, was not a requirement. The Cash for Clunker also occurred before electric cars were available like they are before.

Just trying to understand where old cars are being "required" to be crushed as was stated before

Doug Dyar

Supporter
I was reading an article recently about measuring the CO2 in the atmosphere. Apparently there's a research station in Hawaii that's used as a benchmark for measurement due to its remote and unpolluted location.
We've just completed an experiment that would have been impossible to achieve without the pandemic-induced, global shut down of factories, lockdowns on travel, etc.
Measurements taken before, during, and after the unprecedented global lockdown would be expected to show a change in CO2 levels in the atmosphere, given the drastic reduction in human activities for 18 months.
But the levels did not vary. How can this be if man is indeed responsible for climate change?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If the batteries are so safe, go along to United Airways and ask if they will air in a replacement battery for your Tesla.
ian

While you’re on the phone with the airline’s shipping department, ask them how much it would cost to ship 20 gallons of gasoline...

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

While you’re on the phone with the airline’s shipping department, ask them how much it would cost to ship 20 gallons of gasoline...

...or a few ounces of nitroglycerin...or a couple cases of fifty-year-old dynamite...or weird ole uncle Phil right after he'd polished off a dozen-or-more spicy burritos! ;)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I guess you could go down to your local filling station and get the Petrol, I doubt most filling stations have the battery pack.

now send the new uncharged batteries and a new empty fuel can by air… I know which one will get on The plane!

in a way those are both empty containers for a vehicle fuel

Ian

From experience between Germany and Caribbean island Martinique......
in 2015.... Audi A3 hybrid price full taxes delivered on the island was 34000 euro...
a replacement batterie by air under UN norms was calculated at 27000 euro.......

Paul

ICE or EV, EV or ICE .. why not both

clearly we need to try new energy sources, not just for the environment, but also for the fact that gasoline is a finite resource. Some day it will dry up and i'd like to know that my kids and their kids can still enjoy cars like we have. Like it or not we need to try new things, and why the hell not ?

Likewise ICE engines aren't going to become erased from history just because other things are available, they are a huge part of our heritage and culture. They will always be around as long as there are people who love them, the same way the marvellous steam engines from the generations before us are still built, maintained and run today and loved by all.

The move from Horses to Cars was a major change and there was pushback from many. Having more options (EV & ICE) seems like a better option.

I wonder how many people thought the world was rapidly going to shit back when horses were being phased out... oh wait, there was a lot of Shit back then, horse shit :)

Excellent point! I forgot that it was the 787's Achilles heel! Grounded the entire fleet, it did! Thanks for the input!

dmmkzyj6.jpg

Yep, happy to help!

TWA 800 had a small problem with a fuel tank as well!

Good thing nothing ever blows up ever no matter what motive power is used…

As far speculation as to what caused that crash, all they could figure was a wiring short igniting fuel. Nothing inherent about the fuel itself caused that crash, of course. I would agree that shorting any wiring on any aircraft could lead to a fire. It's recommended that hot air balloons not land on power lines either, but I wouldn't blame the Propane for that...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I saw this film back in the early 80’s...
Prophetic?
I believe its split into 3 parts here. You could probably stream it from Amazon, Hulu, et al..
BE682D10-ECAE-48BF-BC5F-0DBF147FB72D.jpeg

As far speculation as to what caused that crash, all they could figure was a wiring short igniting fuel. Nothing inherent about the fuel itself caused that crash, of course. I would agree that shorting any wiring on any aircraft could lead to a fire. It's recommended that hot air balloons not land on power lines either, but I wouldn't blame the Propane for that...
ok, you win, I am tired

EV will never replace ICE but it's a good to have it as a choice and one more fuel type. The grid in CA, which is one of the more prolific EV states, can't handle the EV needs as it is and it's not getting better anytime soon, they're still paying off lawsuits to all the people they killed. I think people also haven't really seen the negative impact EV has on the environment vs ICE, when you total it all up, and once the climate change aka tree huggers learn that along with dried up gov subsidies, it'll find it's level. For me, the biggest problem is the control given to entities like the power company and the gov when you subject yourself to an EV, they can literally shut you down at any time. And that just doesn't speak USA to me. Just my .02

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
For me, the biggest problem is the control given to entities like the power company and the gov when you subject yourself to an EV, they can literally shut you down at any time.

Only an electromagnitic pulse would disable a typical classic car...they have no 'pewters'.
We all might wunna keep one of those in the garage as a spare...just in case! ;-)

Back