Elite Racing Transmissions

Scott, my thoughts on this would be yes you could use this in a street application, but keep in mind that sequentially shifted gearboxes require quite a bit more maintenance. They usually have a life expectancy of about 30 hours of use between rebuilds, which depending on the manufacturer can be at times quite expensive.

I would not recommend a sequential for a street application due to this, but if you really had to have it then this would be one of the better options in my opinion due to their relatively low initial cost.

Erik Johnson

Scott, my thoughts on this would be yes you could use this in a street application, but keep in mind that sequentially shifted gearboxes require quite a bit more maintenance. They usually have a life expectancy of about 30 hours of use between rebuilds, which depending on the manufacturer can be at times quite expensive.

I would not recommend a sequential for a street application due to this, but if you really had to have it then this would be one of the better options in my opinion due to their relatively low initial cost.

Erik Johnson

wow, that is some good information! what is the cost to rebuild some of the sequentials?

Keith

Judging by Fran's communications with Elite, perhaps it might be best to take their advice on these issues. They are a very open and forthcoming company.

Thanks Eric, your G96 kit is looking better all the time. You listed a kit on a different site without LSD and without cooling. I understand the LSD, but will this live without the cooling.

In relation to Elite's service for it's customers...

Nearly 12 months after purchasing my transaxle, I was contacted by the engineering manager at ERT regarding the design of the seal on the output flange. They had been testing with a car in the UK which was running well over the specified torque rating for the same transmission, and noticed a very small weep under the area of the seal. They told me that they were onto it and a solution was on hand.

3 days later (I'm in Australia), a package arrived via DHL from them containing all new seals, newly CNC machined heavy duty seal retainer plates, bolts, diagrams, and instructions for fitment. All with no charge.

Again, I could not fault their product support.

It seems like Elite has responded very well and proffessionally to the issues that have been adressed- which is very good.....

As I personally have no experience with these boxes, aside what my "colleagues" tell me- I will try to get to the source or more information of the problems they have had with their boxes as soon as the 2013 season start and I meet them again....

Nothing is better than a vendor that really follows up and remedies any shortcomings realted to their products.....

Thanks Eric, your G96 kit is looking better all the time. You listed a kit on a different site without LSD and without cooling. I understand the LSD, but will this live without the cooling.

I believe that it will indeed live without the cooling, but we like to include it for anyone who is even considering tracking the car. On cars like the GTM that have the exhaust directly above the gearbox, I would say yes cooling is a must due to the fact that the gearbox acts like a giant heat sink. What we do for some people though is simply install the cooler in and out ports and then cap them. They can then do some testing without having the pump and cooler, and see if it is indeed needed for their car or not. If they do need it no worries, the ports are already there. If not then they can effectively save some money on their build.

Thanks for the question.

Erik

wow, that is some good information! what is the cost to rebuild some of the sequentials?

I can not tell you what the replacement parts cost is for the Elite gearbox, I would assume due to its low initial cost that they would be far less expensive to rebuild than say the Porsche Sequential, or Emco.

I can tell you that it is not uncommon to see a Porsche sequential rebuild cost about $10,000.00 or more in some cases. I would imagine that the Emco would be similar, but again keep in mind that these gearboxes cost between 50 and 60K each so I would imagine that it is all relative.

Erik

thanks erik. had no idea of the cost of rebuild, $200 or $2k, do it yourself or send it in. may have to rethink the wish list, that is some serious racing.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I have my Elite box being test fitted into an SLC chassis ...its quite a short box and would be feasible to install into an gt40 rep. or similar...so may have a look at mocking up into an RCR40 also...

Hello I am new.. I am currently educating myself on various transaxles. Griffin....Ricardo... And now I see this. I am building an era gt 40 big block.. At this point I have no specs on the torque curves however my question is simple at this point. I will making 690 lbs torque. It seems that there are limited options.. Troy can you elaborate.

Back