Engine Factory.Com

Paul,

The engine that is currently in my car was built by the Engine Factory. It is a 351W (405HP Cobra Special), which is now pushing between 425 and 450HP. The engine has run without a hitch from day one. A bit of a rough idle, but very strong through it's power band, loads of torque, and incredible throttle response. It holds 50lbs of oil pressure at idle after a good hard run, is tight, and has no leaks after a few thousand miles.
I dealt with Christian Nelson at the EF. He had my engine on my doorstep within 10 days of ordering. He even has a photo of my car on the EF's website. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I would buy from him again, if a new project comes along.

Bill

I have ben in contact with Engine Factory.Com & they have been helpful & quick to respond.
This could be a much cheaper alternative to suppliers in the UK. A reasonable engine package, normally aspirated 351W 485bhp dyno'd & ready to run from $5849.00. That's £3440.00 approx!!! Of course you will have to pay import tax & shipping on top but I have been quoted $500-$600 inclusive (£294-£353).
We could be having an engine imported in to the UK soon so I will keep you updated.

Paul
My understanding is that you'll have to pay Duty - somewhere between 4 and 8% of invoice, plus shipping, then add all the above together and add 17.5% VAT.

So using approximate figures
3440 x 1.06(Duty) = 3646
plus 325 (Shipping) = 3971
plus 695 (VAT) = 4666 altogether

If you find any different please let me know!!

Paul,
Also check HM C&E website. They have different values to current exchange rates.... once again the government wins....

Engine Duty used to be 2.7%.

Brett

Don't forget to remove 20% of the quoted BHP!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif 500HP in the USA usually equates to 400HP in the U.K. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Something to do with Dyno cailbration.

Regards,

J.P

Ron Earp

Admin
JP,

Don't know if I buy that or not. 1hp = 746 watts here and there. Just emperical real life drag strip experience where I see fairly heavy cars here (3500 lbs) with 400-500 US hp busting into the high 11s. Timed strips, all the right stuff. That is the reason I keep asking why Roy's car with over 500 UK hp won't run 11s at around 2400lbs when I think it ought to be running low 11s as it is. And I think he has the power claimed too given the components and attention to detail. Maybe quarter miles are longer over there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

R

I know its weird!

Since the engine has been dynoed at 449HP at 6600RPM I will be bloody disapointed if I don't get into the 11's.

I ran a 13.8 at Brighton in BMW M Coupe - with a slipping clutch. Now that car definetly has the quoted 325BHP.

I think these days unless you actually are there when the engine is dynoed you will never reaaly know! Unlesss of course you post a fast 1/4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

J.P

Ron Earp

Admin
You should be in the 11s if any of my experience and what I used to watch at strips is any indication. The weight is there, the hp is there, but for some reason it ain't happening in GT40s. I checked the Brighton times that Malcolm gave me over a year ago and no cars (GT40s) hits 11s that I remember. I was talking with Roy about it and I think it has to do with the launch and weight transfer - it isn't working as well as what I'm used to with front engine solid rear axle cars. Shifting seems to be a sore point too, the 40s don't shift nearly as quickly as your M car and other "normal" configuration trannies.

But the trap speed tells the tale - 128mph and up means the power is definitely there!

R

[ QUOTE ]
That is the reason I keep asking why Roy's car with over 500 UK hp won't run 11s at around 2400lbs when I think it ought to be running low 11s as it is. And I think he has the power claimed too given the components and attention to detail. Maybe quarter miles are longer over there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been wondering about that as well Ron. My guess is that the typical GT40 shifter linkage and glass-elbow transaxle necessitates delicate launches and slow gear changes. Alternatively maybe our friends in the UK are fast around corners but slow in a straight line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Or maybe it's Imperial-length 1/4 mile drag strips. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
I don't believe any difference in this, but it anything they are bigger over here. Remember, we routinely get 3300-3500 lb Mustangs into the 11s with 400-450hp motors. This is fact I can see every week at about 3 drag strips within a one to two hours of home. You guys aren't running 11s with less weight and same or more hp. I think the Imperial mile is the culprit along with the shifting of GT40s.

R

Rick Merz just did an 11.9 sec @ ~125 MPH at this years Run and Gun. I believe his motor dynoed at ~440 HP at the wheels. Not sure how accurate this particular portable dyno was though. His car is something like 2600 lbs.

With quarter mile drags the MPH tends to indicate the power to weight, and the launch (60 ft times) combined with the power to weight dictate the ET.

There is an art and science to getting the proper weight transfer to permit a good 60' time. With the low CG of a GT40 and thus minimal weight transfer it makes the launch more difficult.

Maybe the UK 1/4 mile is longer as I have never heard of any UK car running a sub 4.5 sec quarter and it is done in the US very often by Top Fuelers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi all -

Ron - I'm with you on this - the car has problems with launching and Brighton is no prepared drag strip.

Roy posted 12.03s this year and I had a 12.8s after pulling 5th instead of 3rd! - doh! we both hit 130+ on the quarter. That into a headwind of between 8-15mph.

Still we'll know better early next year as we all have a 'jolly good time' at Santa-Pod Raceway, one of the uk's few official drag strips.

Mike (Jasper) also has an engine dyno proven engine that is of high spec and output. (What are the figures 'ish' Mike?)
He also has a Quaife fully sequential 6-speed box + slicks and yet also has not gone below 13s at Brighton (Correct me if I'm wrong Mike).

Now if we could afford to ship the cars over the pond.... I bet Laguna Seca is a lot more fun in real life than on the Playstation.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul,

Many U.S. quarter mile times, such as Ron described, are also hindered by the driver's reaction time to the tree lights at a sanctioned drag strip. If it was only a matter of crossing a beam to start a timer, you could shave up to a 1/2 second off many ETs here(for those asleep at the wheel!).
We Yanks tend to be a bit harder on a gearbox(speed shifting, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) than you guys, at least from what I've seen on your club videos. Perhaps these two things may account for some of the differences in ETs (US vs UK).
Many of us learned to drive using "Detroit Iron", which was practically bulletproof(Muncie Rockcrusher transmissions). Those old habits die hard, or don't die at all, in my case.
Throw caution into the wind, launch at higher RPM, and keep your right foot planted firmly on the floor! You'll make that 11 second ET yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Paul,

I think you guys definitely have the power. As Gary said, trap speed is a very reliable and good indication of power used in the run.I think Roy was 137 mph???? You guys have the power for 11s for sure!!! But, looking at Malcolm's videos I can see where the shifting is slow and I still think weight transfer for GT40s is something I don't understand.

I know that here in the US we do beat the heck out of cars in the quarter. When I first started I'd do a lot of pedal to the floor runs etc. while shifting until I broke some trannies with that foolishness. But, once this thing is running I hope to put it solidly in the 11s if not better! Rick's car is there and I'm sure he can do even better with time.

R

Ricks car also has street tires!

Bill, I respectfully disagree with your statements as all ET's that I am aware of are the time from when the front tire rolls out of the "stage" beam until the front tire breaks the finish line beam. This is how one can when on a "hole shot." If one driver is very slow leaving, but his ET is fast (beam break to beam break) he will loose. The winner is determined by the first person accross the finish without red lighting (breaking the red light beam at the start before the green is illuminated).

Gary,
You are correct about the measurement of ETs. I was trying to illustrate the difference in racing at a sanctioned dragstrip(accurate), and running down a measured quarter with a stopwatch(not accurate),etc.. Too many people are comparing apples to oranges here. More HP on this dyno, slower ET at that track, etc. To compare two cars accurately, they must be side by side, on the same track,or pull runs on the same dyno. Otherwise any question of whose is faster or more powerful, is moot. Perhaps BHP stand for British Horsepower and ET stands for English times? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
At least everyone agrees that faster and more powerful is BETTER! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill

Back