Engine Painting

Has anyone got any recomendations on what paint to use when painting an engine? Everything is in bits at the moment so it's a good time for a clean up, but i don't want to pick the wrong paint and have everything look nice right up until the point it gets hot and then find all the paint starts flaking off!

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Space Monkey,
Try Frost's in Lancashire - they do a good selection of eleven colours of high pigment HT engine enamel paints for Ford, Chrysler, Chevy etc
Eighteen quid per "US pint".
Sound's like a beer without a head to me.
www.frost.co.uk
Good luck

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
We are using POR 15, which I assume is available internationally. Just MAKE SURE you wear gloves. It sticks to everything and does not come off.For weeks. They make some Ford blue colors I liked. (this is their engine paint, not their regular stuff)

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
If you use POR-15 (magic stuff), pull on 2 pairs of gloves - I ended up having to explain the whole situation at meetings for 2 weeks "I am not really a dirty person who could not be bothered to wash my hands - this stuff really bonds" !

For POR to do its best, it needs a REALLY clean surface (absolutely no oil) - POR can supply some really serious cleaners to do the job, but you have to wash them off with water, & lots of it !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

The reason it sticks so well to your hands is that it cures by moisture. Actually, if there is minute latent moisture on the surface, the paint will physically draw itself in even tighter to the surface (don't read this as okay to paint when damp). The same theory works on skin. Since your skin has moisture, the paint almost chases the moisture in from the top of the skin into the pores of the skin. About the only things that may works to speed removal is to wash with hot, hot, hot soapy water as quickly as possible. Otherwise, as noted above, you're wearing it.

One time we had sold some to a gentleman who ended up with leftover material and put it in his garage. Kid comes along, spills it all over his body - turned him into the tin man. Rushed him to the hospital, he ended up just fine, just silver (the color of the paint). For a couple of weeks.

Remember to keep your lids lids tightly closed and try and open only when needed. The moisture in the air will kick the stuff over in the can if you open and close the cans often enough.

Painted POR 15 on my chassis last week, still picking it off my hands this week, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif has to be the best paint product I`ve ever used, and I used to be a painter/decorater, totaly recomended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i use hammerite its excellent and covers any imperfections

Attachments

• 38271-lowcomppistons.jpg
    38271-lowcomppistons.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 294
Back