ERA Stops GT40 Replica Production - No New Orders Taken

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Re: No more new orders being taken for the ERA GT40

You claim that Superformance is down to two cars per month and they have a much more Global sales than ERA. In other words the high end GT-40 replicas is practically dead. On the contrary for the Cobra market which is less expensive and easy to built.

Since you sell Superformance your opinion is weighted on their side. I am just a customer with a very good old friend

Absolutly my opinion is weighted, to deny so would be a lie. I do however truly regret ERA pulling out of the GT market. Rarely did we "butt heads" as many ERA buyers were looking for a kit and SPF is roller only as well as the difference in chassis philosophy (steel vs. stainless, etc.) so I doubt either took many sales from the other.

The GT market is improving. There were a number of resale SPF available and they have mostly been snapped up and all of the available new rollers at dealers have been bought so until new inventory arrives there are no rollers available right now. The market always finds it's own level and if two-three chassis (SPF) per month is it, so be it. And yes, the "Cobra" market is very different with players from factory Five at the low end of the cost spectrum to the Shelby and Superformance products as well Kirkham on the other end.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

...we do not have to be offensive or cynic in our response.

There was absolutely nothing cycnical or offensive in Rick's reply. Any "offshore vs onshore / buy American" discussion belongs in the Paddock, not here. The fact that Rick is an SPF dealer in no way weakens his point and to say so is offensive. He is and always has been been completely even-handed in that respsect.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

About 3 months ago, I was told it'd take a year from the time a Superformance GT40 order was signed to see the "roller" show up on the east coast here in the U.S. .

That's very strange, because around that time I was at SPF headquarters talking to Lance's son and he and the other sales guys stated a delivery time more like 3 or 4 months, which is the same as Lance said it was in Nov. of 09. Also, BTW, an install can be done in a weekend if the installer is prepared and knowledgeable.

BTW, you could buy P2186 for $75,000 today from Dennis Peck in San Carlos and probably have it in your garage next week.

1966 New Superformance GT40 Mark II at Dynamic Auto West Serving Redwood City, CA, IID 7725357

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Why are you so uptight Alan?

Regarding Larry... I was able to locate an old photo that might help explain his position lol...

art-353-tyre-200x0.jpg

There was absolutely nothing cycnical or offensive in Rick's reply. Any "offshore vs onshore / buy American" discussion belongs in the Paddock, not here. The fact that Rick is an SPF dealer in no way weakens his point and to say so is offensive. He is and always has been been completely even-handed in that respsect.

I do not want to be rude but the cynical or offensive response from Rick's was personal from past experiences and had nothing to do with Buy American or offshore vs. onshore. In my original post I did not mention the manufacturer and was not a response to any of his post. I think that it ended without any bad animosity. Sorry English is my second language and somethings are lost in the translation.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

That's funny, that's what I was thinking of asking Jose.

Anyway, as the lawyers say, question presumes facts not in evidence.

So, to quote Karen Silkwood as played by Cher in the movie "Silkwood":

"Why do you ask, Two-dogs-fucking?" :laugh:

(sorry, if you haven't seen the movie the quote won't make any sense)

Jose: I think the presumption most people make when you respond to a post and you quote text from it you are talking about that post not some conversation you and Rick may have had in private years ago that none of us know about...

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Jose: I think the presumption most people make when you respond to a post and you quote text from it you are talking about that post not some conversation you and Rick may have had in private years ago that none of us know about...

"named after the first thing the Indian saw in the morning".......that joke has been around FOREVER!!!

And yes, Dr. Velez and I go back to 1989 and a Contemporary Cobra he purchased from a mutual acquaintance....a long story that ends with an FE lump going "bang" on the way to the GT40 reunion at Watkins Glen.

"named after the first thing the Indian saw in the morning".......that joke has been around FOREVER!!!

And yes, Dr. Velez and I go back to 1989 and a Contemporary Cobra he purchased from a mutual acquaintance....a long story that ends with an FE lump going "bang" on the way to the GT40 reunion at Watkins Glen.

Now you have me worry. First I am not a Dr. but an Engineer. Second It was not a Contemporary but an ERA Third it was your acquaintance and your "friend". It was 23 years ago and the mind plays funny things. On the positive side I meet Mr. Portante at ERA buying parts to fix it and to register the car. I still have it in good conditions, a reminder to have patience to wait and a to select my acquaintances carefully.

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. We have better words in Spanish but no direct translation into English.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Now you have me worry. First I am not a Dr. but an Engineer. Second It was not a Contemporary but an ERA Third it was your acquaintance and your "friend". It was 23 years ago and the mind plays funny things. On the positive side I meet Mr. Portante at ERA buying parts to fix it and to register the car. I still have it in good conditions, a reminder to have patience to wait and a to select my acquaintances carefully.

Sorry for the title error, I thought you had a doctorate in engineering and wanted to show the proper respect for that type of effort. And I confused the ERA/Contemporary as Charlie had one of each and my memory IS slipping! And he is an "acquaintance" as opposed to a "friend". I have only recently talked to him after many years of refusing his phone calls. Had anyone asked me to prepurchase inspect the car, I would have revealed whatever flaws/concerns I found. I was not a party to the transaction and did not meet Eng. Velez until after he had purchased the car.

And meeting Peter was a good thing and started you down the road to some great cars!

On another note, I was just at ERA picking up some parts and boy, are they busy. Had the pleasure of meeting Teddy. What a nice and very talented individual. There are some beautiful Cobra's there along with Jim H's gorgeous GT. They still have 2 or 3 more GT's to build before they take a break. I believe that will put them at 99 or 100 built so far. I'm just happy I got one. Better than the cars they produce is the opportunity to meet and make friends with such a great group of enthusiasts.

On another note, I was just at ERA picking up some parts and boy, are they busy. Had the pleasure of meeting Teddy. What a nice and very talented individual. There are some beautiful Cobra's there along with Jim H's gorgeous GT. They still have 2 or 3 more GT's to build before they take a break. I believe that will put them at 99 or 100 built so far. I'm just happy I got one. Better than the cars they produce is the opportunity to meet and make friends with such a great group of enthusiasts.

Teddy is a excellent craftsman and a person. It is incredible he fits on the GT. I have picture of him standing next to my GT and his waist is higher than the roof. Is your car finish?

I am flying to "sunny" New Britain next Tuesday for dinner with the two old fart. Peter sense of humor is unique.

I had also heard prior to attending the 2011 Carlisle meet that ERA was going to concentrate solely on Cobras. After seeing Peter at Carlisle in 2011 and literally drooling over Jom Holden's car, I decided to place an order for one of the remaining tubs for the GT. My chassis is #101 and I had the pleasure of seeing it this past summer while visiting ERA. There were about 3 or 4 GT40s in various states of build ahead of mine and I plan to have ERA build the car completely for me.

My understanding is that Teddy is the craftsman of the GT with the help of his son and he doesn't want to go on doing it forever. So, ERA is taking a break once the last cars are completed. This doesn't mean they won't restart the program in the future. ERA looked plenty busy when I visited and the GT program halt is not from a lack of demand.

Hi Jmvelez. My car was built as a turn key car by ERA for a gentleman on Long Island and was completed 12/2001 This is a picture of it coming home home the day I bought it. Maybe you remember it? Jonathan, congratulations on #2101. Your going to love it.

Attachments

• GT.jpg
    GT.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 546
  • GT Engine.jpg
    GT Engine.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

Regarding Larry... I was able to locate an old photo that might help explain his position lol...

art-353-tyre-200x0.jpg

Hmmmmmmm...can't possibly be a photo of me. I don't wear blue jeans nor white sox.

And, although I do own a few pairs of brown shoes, none look like the pair in that photo.

:flameon:

Nice car Mike. What is CI of the engine and wheel style? My original GT was Red/White 2002 (finished in 1993) and the present is Gulf blue/orange 2075 (finished in 2004). Both # were out of sequence. Engines 330CI 4V and 409CI 4V.

2075 is at ERA

It has a 302 stroked to 347. The wheels are 16" BRM with Goodyear 27X14X16's on the rear and 10X23.5X16's on the front. It had 1" spacers on the rear which I just removed. I didn't like the edge of the tire past the fender lip. It looks much better now. I'm trying to decide if I want to stay with the Goodyears or move to Avons. Sizes are very limited in 16" Avon has a 27X14X16 but it's really 27.3 tall(compared to 26.8) and about 2" wider in the sidewall than the Goodyears. ERA says no taller than 27". Next size down is a 24.8"X12X16 in the Avons and I'm not sure I want to drop down in height. I wish I had 15" rims. I really like the vintage look.

I have BRM style 17" so big brakes would fit and power assisted brakes. The tires are Hoosiers. The car is right hand drive. I had 15" wheels on my first car and they look good.

Hi Jmvelez. My car was built as a turn key car by ERA for a gentleman on Long Island and was completed 12/2001 This is a picture of it coming home home the day I bought it. Maybe you remember it? Jonathan, congratulations on #2101. Your going to love it.

Thanks Mike. I really can't wait, but the car is still a while from delivery. I saw the one you purchased listed for sale over the summer. If I didn't already have a build, I would have tried to buy it. Congratulations, it looks amazing.

Back