Exhaust system suppliers

Does anyone in the UK have some contacts for manufacturers of cross-over (mild steel) exhaust systems and some idea of cost? I have been told about Tony law but can't find a contact number, can anyone help?

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Jason

Tony Law is in Leeds,Just off the M1, unfortunately I dont have a number for him but I would recommend his pipes. All his pipes are sand bent by hand, not mandrel bent and really are the best. Although Tony himself left the business some years ago the recent work is still as good. Hope you find his number.

Brian

Editor, Fortyfication.

Jason,

Frank Catt @ Wealden Engineering is producing good quality systems in M/S & ST/ST. Don't know about prices but he will be competitive.
I know of 2 cars that his systems have been fitted to (One of them being the Yellow Pril) and the owners have reported an increase in power. As an added bonus the exhaust note is great!!

You can contact him on: +44(0)1323 843839

E-mail: [email protected]

Hayward and Scott dogenerally do stainles steel exhaust systems. I know a bloke who had one of their systems for his TVR and was very impressed. (Also they are just down the road from my gym in Basildon.)

Brett

Thanks everybody. At the moment i am trying to find out if a Tony law system will fit a Tornado chassis ok, as the factory tell me the jig was designed around a GTD and are not sure if it will fit the Tornado. The price is much reduced over other systems when you can buy from a jig (around £740+vat) and is certainly a beautiful piece of work. So if anyone knows of a Tornado owner with one then please let me know.
Thanks all

I contacted Hayward & Scott regarding a GTD cross-over system and they replied:

Thank you for your enquiry. We used to do a cross over stainless steel system for GTD. Preferable we would like your car as no two are ever the same. The complete system fully polished is £1800 + VAT.
If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards
Ian Reeve
Manager.

WOW
shocked.gif
That's gone up big time!! They quoted me £1600 all in last year when I was trying to work out an initial budget etc.....

guess I'll have to go on that welding course and put some orders into Demon Tweeks when the time comes

Welding course, interesting point. Few years ago I did the City and Guilds Mig welding the tutor also threw in a bit of arc, tig and plasma for our experience. The really interesting thing I found was that Colleges have all the kit and they have qualified helpful personnel in the shape of tutors.

They will generally let you use the kit ( you supply the materials ) for whatever your needs and provide you with expert guidance to boot. I went to North Warkwickshire College (Nuneaton) and there were loads of guys from the motor industry polishing their skills.

Most college workshops also have pipe/tube benders of industrial size and strength so it is quite feasible that anyone could knock out their own bundle of snakes.

Regards, Alex.

Jason-I am in the states, and cannot offer a source. But, I can suggest you think about doing what I did for exhaust on my 40. I have a 351 Cleveland, so none of the systems out there came close to working on my car. I found a race shop in my city where the owner had done lots of headers for drag cars, road racers, etc. He scratch built my system, on my car, with true cross-over and equal length pipes. It is one item that really gets comments from people when I open the tail section. I had it ceramic coated, and it has held up really well. As you are in the UK, the home of race car fabrication, I would think with some exploring, you could find a reputable fabricator to custom build a system for your car, using pictures and a few specifications. And, I would bet it would cost you the same or less than the bolt-on systems out there. You can choose your mufflers, your finish (chrome or ceramic), clearance around certain suspension or bodywork, etc. Just a thought. This approach worked for me, and was alot less than I thought it would be.

Good luck-Jack

Jack,

Could you post a photo of your exhaust?
How's the Cleveland for power and handling?

Have fun!

John

John-I will get a picture posted soon. The Cleveland has alot of power and torque in stock form, so it does not take much to make one really perform. Mine is a pretty mild build, but with the header system and stack fuel injection, it is probably putting out about 400 hp. Plenty for my needs, in a 2500 pound car. Very neutral handling.

Thanks-Jack

John, others-I have not been unable to get pictures posted of my exhaust system. If anyone would like pictures emailed, contact me and I can email them to you.

Thanks-jack

Back