exhaust system

This is the best GT 40 system I have seen. Does anyone know anybody in Calif that can make a system like this for my ERA GT 40? Thanks Jim

Attachments

• Scan_Doc0001[1].pdf
    984.1 KB · Views: 1,033

Howard Jones

Supporter
It might be a crossover 180 GTD exhaust system. I know that some were made by GTD. It does have that sand formed look of theirs.

I don't know of anybody that does it like that anymore however there are some very good custom header shops out there. None of which are cheap.

Here's one that looks good to me and is about in the middle as far as cost goes. Give them a call and send along your picture and see what they say.

Let us know what you find out. If you do talk with them.

Stainless Headers Mfg., Inc. fabricates custom headers in stainless and mild steel

If you look closely you can see the ground down welds where that set [In the PDF] have been fabricated from bends. If you can oxy/aceteylene or tig weld you shoud be able to make a set yourself, just dont expect to make them in one afternoon...:)

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm not seeing anything here that is different from any other system. Reminds me of an old set I had by that George fellow that ripped people off back around 2001-2002. Tight to the block with attention to detail on the welds so they were very smooth.

It does have that sand formed look of theirs.

I don't know of anybody that does it like that anymore however there are some very good custom header shops out there. None of which are cheap.[/url]

Gelscoe Motorsports in the UK still makes exhaust systems in the traditional manner, rather than by piecing together various pre-made bent pieces.

187.jpg

Notice the constantly-varying radius of the bends in each pipe.

I can't distinguish between their systems and an original. Cost is quite high--something like 3000 or 3500 GPB if my memory is correct. :stunned:

Having said that, the amount of work that goes into a project like this is simply enormous, I think.

Mike-
Do you have a photo showing the linkage detail on that car? It looks like two cables pass under the turkey pan, but that could just be a reflection.

Mike-
Do you have a photo showing the linkage detail on that car? It looks like two cables pass under the turkey pan, but that could just be a reflection.

No--all I can suggest is to go to Gelscoe Motorsport's website and poke around their gallery?

I think if you check out ANY fabrication shop, you will find they can build you just about anything you want. Whether it is formed tubing or pieced together, the attention to detail is what you are paying for. I had mine built by a racecar shop in my area. I gave them some pictures of what I wanted and they made it from that, nothing else. They were not cheap at all, but I guess you get what you pay for in the end. You will need to give them your car for a couple of days so it can be "fitted" to the car. Each is different and the requirements are unique to each car.
Here are the pictures I supplied(an RCR build):
RCRheaders2.jpg

RCRheaders1.jpg

RCRheaders3.jpg

And here is what I got:

PC210052.jpg

PC210051.jpg

PC210050.jpg

Expect to pay about 6K(about 2 years ago) for a good set. With the price of materials going sky high, that might be a conservative price by now.

Bill

Mike-

Well spotted.. it does have two cables. One is the original cable which pulls the throttle linkage. The other is connected to an electric servo mounted behind the passenger seat. This is operated by a switch on the steering wheel. When we restored the car for the present owner, he had very restricted movement in his right foot and could not toe and heel, Hense the servo operated blipper.

Infact it worked so well I used it for the whole of my 2 hr stint at the Spa 6 hr race.. but dont tell anyone.

Send me a PM if anyone needs a period exhaust system.

A.

Well spotted.. it does have two cables. One is the original cable which pulls the throttle linkage. The other is connected to an electric servo mounted behind the passenger seat. This is operated by a switch on the steering wheel. When we restored the car for the present owner, he had very restricted movement in his right foot and could not toe and heel, Hense the servo operated blipper.

Infact it worked so well I used it for the whole of my 2 hr stint at the Spa 6 hr race.. but dont tell anyone.

Send me a PM if anyone needs a period exhaust system.

A.
Hi,

I wonder if you could share the design/parts required for the throttle blipper as I too have a similar lack of dexterity.

Thanks, Roy

Charlie Farley

Supporter
We make the exhaust headers to the original pattern. As supplied to original P chassis and restorations headed to the likes of Amelia & Pebble.
Details are on the ' Building and Racing' website. listed below this posting.

Back