F1 2022

Seemed a successful debut for the new set of rules.

Pity about the Foose look wheels though, look like some LA gangsta rapper’s shitbox. Slowed down the cars because of them as well.

The cars are so big and ungainly now…

Tim.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Will Ham be back up front in 22 ?
Re Red Bull, todays race for them was all about Karma.
100% agree. So...does anybody watch the NetFlix "Drive to Survive"? They have the season 4 out now, and in episode one, a Red Bull driver (Chico) and his engineer are talking to Masi, and the engineer asks Masi who his money is on to win, and Masi's response is, "I'm betting on Red Bull, so don't fuck it up" (Just a little more than 24 minutes into the episode). What an idiot! A race director should at minimum have the discretion to not make is bias made known, let alone have any in the first place.

Aside from that, glad to see the red cars in the hunt again, and nice to see both of the Mercedes running fairly equally again.

Last edited:

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Will have to watch that Terry. I would like to see Ham win number 8 just because it's never been done. As for max, he has the most demerit points in the dirty driver club. And Masi, I know he has a new job but is he still with F1 ? He should be banned from the sport.

I binged all the available seasons. It got a bit formulaic though.

Drivers constantly worried about being dropped. Team managers constantly subtly threatening drivers positions while griping about underperforming drivers. Picking on Haas, watch Haas screw up. Drivers working out, drivers in their off time, drivers sniping at each other, drivers obsessing over the podium. Drivers dropped or switching teams. Pick on Haas some more.

Repeat.

That said, I’m gonna watch the new season anyway, love watching the cars.

Neil

Supporter
I have no interest in Formula One or NASCAR whatsoever. They've ruined it for me. This is the F1 I loved.

Attachments

• 1962 German GP Nurburgring- Ferrari- Ricardo Rodriguez.JPG
    1962 German GP Nurburgring- Ferrari- Ricardo Rodriguez.JPG
    365.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 1962 German GP Nurburgring- Lotus Climax- Jim Clark.JPG
    1962 German GP Nurburgring- Lotus Climax- Jim Clark.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 120
  • 1962 German GP Nurburgring- Rain- Dan Gurney2.JPG
    1962 German GP Nurburgring- Rain- Dan Gurney2.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 122
I like the styling of the new cars, except for the front wings are too far forward. Gone are the thousands of little air directors, the ugly bumps or steps where the front upper suspension rods joined top of the chassis. Like the new paint graphics on most of the cars, favorite - Alfa, Aston, least favorite - Renault, Alfa Tauri. Best looking - Ferrari. Least best looking - Mercedes (weird side pods)

I am stuck in the 80-90s myself o_O
1000431.jpg

Joel K

Supporter
I’ve been watching F1 since the mid 80’s and can honestly say I’ve been enjoying every race the last few years. Love the technology, innovation and the whole idea of competition between and within the teams.

But Neil, where they real men or where they crazy? And the politics and money today, my god.

I dunno… Looking at those old-school racers fighting against safety improvements and the like because of some weird masculinity issues really bugs me. They’d rather die than have HANS devices kind of an attitude. Don’t get it, what good is being a champion if you’re dead and can’t enjoy it? That said, I think racing was a lot riskier and more exciting then than the still-risky-but-not-quite racing today that is highly technical, and the field can flip pretty quickly with a tech improvement regardless of how good the drivers are.

Neil

Supporter
I dunno… Looking at those old-school racers fighting against safety improvements and the like because of some weird masculinity issues really bugs me. They’d rather die than have HANS devices kind of an attitude. Don’t get it, what good is being a champion if you’re dead and can’t enjoy it? That said, I think racing was a lot riskier and more exciting then than the still-risky-but-not-quite racing today that is highly technical, and the field can flip pretty quickly with a tech improvement regardless of how good the drivers are.

Yes, racing was far more dangerous back then. Even the tracks were dangerous- no Armco barriers, only trees a few yards off the edge of the track. Danger was accepted as part of racing and fatalities happened often. But the current F1 is just of no interest to me. The engines sound like chainsaws and the drivers have no class. Sterling Moss and Manuel Fangio have no equals today. F1 drivers and teams are just businessmen.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
A lot of what you say Neil is very true but the sport still draws big numbers What other engine can you tune to play god save the queen.. The best engine sounds to me where the old Trans-Am and Can-Am days other than a GT 40 of course.
So will Ham get an 8th or will Ferrari be back on top ?? or the most ill mannered driver in a long time ( Verstappen ) prevail ?

Hah, French named F1 team based in Oxfordshire in '05 (when this was done) farting out "God Save the Queen" on a French engine.

Guess it worked though, they won both championships that year. Last of the V10s.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I'm going to get slammed for this but after watching the first two races I predict that 2022 will be one of the most closely contested championships (both) in many years.

I'll go out on a limb and say that with 3 races to go four teams will still be alive for a manufactures championship and 6 drivers still fighting out the driver's championship. Redbull, Mercedes, Ferrari, and Alpine or Mclaren. Max, Leclerc, Perez, Russel, Alonso, Lewis.

Long shot call..........................Alonzo wins the driver's championship and Renault either wins or quits.

AND...........Haus finishes in the top 7!!!!!

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I don't think Mercedes is gonna be in this fight. Ferrari, Red Bull, and maybe Alpine. Of course, there is lots of time to develop what with the level playing field out there.

Back