Factory powdercoated chassis

Now I'm thinking of having my chassis powdercoated to give it the look of polished aluminum

You can get really good effects these days with powder coat. Everything from bare aluminum to chrome. There are different multi-step processes used to get this effect, looks great. Here is a chassis we just did for a customer who wanted the look of aluminum. You can also do metallic colors too. Which looks good.

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Now I'm thinking of having my chassis powdercoated to give it the look of polished aluminum

Attaboy Bill!!! :)

That would look awesome.. I'm also thinking of doing the same and making the carpeting snap in/out..
My car will be the car that the customers will look at and drive before they place their orders.

No, no one of you Guys have to polish one. If I had a RCR first job would be to get the buff out and reap that lovely shine. Fran should offer a polished chassis as an option. Oh and freight to Australia should be free.:D

will be possible to have a finish as this one?

will be incredible on a GT40:eek:

Attachments

• chrome5.jpg
    chrome5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 927
Now I'm really drooling! I hear the clock ticking...I can almost hear the phone ringing...any day now...looks fantastic, Fran!

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi All

I must admit I like the look of powdercoated finishes but the one major draw back is that it is OK as long as no holes have to be drilled after the coating has been done or that the finish does not get scratched right through.

Once the surface integrity has been damaged and corrosion gets in it creeps under the surface and after some time the powder coating flakes off in sheets.

Also very difficult to refinish if needed.

Dimi

Thats why we pre-drill the chassis prior to coating on all the exterior surfaces...it is a lot of extra work for us to powdercoat a chassis but its less than if a customer decided to do it after the car was assembled ...

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Remember that if you fasten something to a powdercoated part (chassis or other) that you will need to clean away the coating from between the two pieces as the powdercoat will not allow you to fasten it properly.

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
Couldn't you use some tape discs to cover an area around the holes before spraying the powder coat material? Peal the tape discs off after baking and you'd have fresh surface for the bolts with no powder coat to interfere.

Fran, what is the down side to powder coating? Is it a mess if you need to touch up after alterations? I like the appearance and protection.

Dalton

When powder coating aluminium be sure you know the tempratures and time involved and how itmight alter the metallurgy of the ali. Also aluminium oxidizes very rapidly and can lower the adhesion qualities of the powder coat.

Back