Fast times at VIR

Raver Motorsports took their SL-C into new territory this weekend when they tripped the lap timers with a 1:49 lap at Virginia International Raceway (VIR).

This is not just a very quick time, but a new lap record as well, shattering the previous record of 1:51.5.

It's also the fastest lap on the VIR Full Course ever set for any of the NASA classes.

For perspective, it was set with a car on DOT tires, and with a relatively mild LS crate engine. More power, and real race rubber will surely yield even faster times.

So, congratulations to Raver Motorsports, Dan Raver, Agile Performance and their entire team for an incredible job, well done!

Here's a link to a lap at 1:50 on Friday, while they were sorting the new transaxle and some aero balance issues. They set the 1:49 time on Saturday, winning the Super Unlimited race, and placing first overall in the Thunder Group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu2nsXx8bAc&feature=youtu.be

Raver Motorsports posted another video of their SL-C in VIR traffic with the sedan class. Its fun to watch the SLC pass 5 - 6 BMWs on a single straight away!

Here's the ->Youtube video

Looks like the car is very well sorted, and awesome driving! Sounds amazing too!

BTW, that Stang has some serious hp under the hood to pull the SL-C down the straights like that.

BTW, that Stang has some serious hp under the hood to pull the SL-C down the straights like that.
I was thinking the same. Does anyone know how much power it had?

To be fair, whilst it was opening more of a distance gap, it doesn't look like it opened a time gap.

Fearless driving thru the crowds -- impressive. Less than 2 minutes is very fast - chop 10 seconds off that.... gawd awful fast.

They've also widened the track and run-offs/curbing so comparing times to several years ago proves difficult, but who cares!

Again I have no idea what kind of power the Mustang was making, but it was obviously significantly more than what the SL-C had given that the Mustang is likely heavier. I looked at the rules for this class, there are very few so it's possible he was running non-DOT rubber. Either way nothing should be taken away from the driver, he's obviously quick to be so competitive in that Mustang. Looking at the race results, it looks like he finished only 0.22 seconds behind the RMS SL-C. Awesome driving by both.
https://www.race-monitor.com/Results/Session/5732638

Also, looking at some of RMS earlier videos, it sure seems that sequential box makes a huge difference on the track. Too bad there isn't a reasonably priced sequential option for our street/track cars.

I was in that race in one of the slower cars. As an SLC owner building one when the green beastr passes me it is a bit distracting to say the least. My mind "Damn that car looks good, I can not wait to finish mine, look how it just goes, google eyes, yah yah yah, crap I just missed my turn in point, ugggg!"

BTW- I have a full sequential trans in my SLC for street/track use made by Quafe. It is made for 911GT3 I think.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Again I have no idea what kind of power the Mustang was making, but it was obviously significantly more than what the SL-C had given that the Mustang is likely heavier. I looked at the rules for this class, there are very few so it's possible he was running non-DOT rubber. Either way nothing should be taken away from the driver, he's obviously quick to be so competitive in that Mustang. Looking at the race results, it looks like he finished only 0.22 seconds behind the RMS SL-C. Awesome driving by both.
https://www.race-monitor.com/Results/Session/5732638

Also, looking at some of RMS earlier videos, it sure seems that sequential box makes a huge difference on the track. Too bad there isn't a reasonably priced sequential option for our street/track cars.

I agree. Sequential shifting makes such a huge difference on track. Even better would be a dual clutch set up with electronic shifting. It is amazing how much faster the Porsche is on track with PDK than standard. Of course there is a significant price to pay for each.

Back