Fell asleep in GT40

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
After a hard days work on the car I got in to the driver's seat with a drink to relax and ponder things to come.I soon felt my eyelids get heavy and the next thing I remember was waking up with a snoring sound,still in the seat.Well I may not make the Guiness book of records but I'd like to report how comfortable the seated position is,and see if any fellow builders have succumbed.

Ross

Hi Ross

you missed the record by many years, many of the Enthusiast club members sleep in their cars when visiting the 24 Hours at Le Mans.

Regards
Chris

G

When Paul was driving my car back from the Nurburgring in '94 at some very "sensible" speeds trying to catch up with the other 40's, I had a good snooze in the passenger seat. As you say Ross, they are very comfy.

Malcolm
grin.gif

Who needs a house?
Sleep in there, cook food over the engine, drive places, eat if you must, get boiling water from the radiator... the possibilities!!!

G

And people say there is too little room in a GTD footwell!

Malcolm
grin.gif

You guys crack me up !! now that's funny!
grin.gif
grin.gif

I get asked a lot as to how comfortable is the GT to drive. I have a pat answer, I say it's just like driving a lazy boy lounger.
Usually when I let someone sit in it for the first time they immediatly comment
on the comfort of the semi reclined position.
I wonder if there has been any comments about this by the winning drivers in the sixties. I bet they didn't like gettin' in it on a Lemans start but I bet they liked the driving position.

Hersh
smile.gif

G

Sex in a gt40 that requires a real co-operative and Bendy lady

LLoyd

mmm a bendy lady

now ive gotta get a 40...heheheh

just kiddin, though you are right, but if i can be done in a vette, a 40 wouldnt be far off

maybe thats why im always gonna try to own something convertable or partially convertable, so you only need one seat heh
grin.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
An owner of one of the original team cars told me recently that the car was so comfortable (and so stable) at speed on the Daytona track that he could light a cigarette and smoke it at 160 plus mph, steering with one hand. I thought it was comfortable too, but I only got to sit in it in the garage...

G

Over the the last racing season i have regularly slept long overnight sessions in my 40 at various circuits here in UK.With my back it is more comfortable than lying flat at times and you get to see and hear a great deal after dark !!!!
Best night was at Silverstone in July when, on a very hot and sticky night, i used with permission from the Clerk of the Course the scrutineering bay that had a "tunnelled" breeze blowing through it to help keep cool.
I awoke next morning to find a queue of fellow competitors lined up out side waiting to be scrutinised!!!!! Did i have to get respectable in a hurry! but you can be assured of a good night sleep if you plan it right.
Regards
GTA.

I have a 4-5 page article about Phil Hill and John Wyer and #1075. It said, after winning Lemans for the 2nd time in a row that the car was driven home (it's temporary French home) while one of the mechanics fell asleep on the passenger side.

That's the fastest motel I've ever heard of!

Have fun!

John

Back