Ferrari 348 motor - front engine / RWD conversion

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...Looking forward to seeing more and hearing more about the vehicle all this is going into!

Ditto!

(You should consider producing 'teasers' for movies and t.v. shows!)

Edit: 'Not at all familiar with that particular car. How much 'wiggle room' is available in the engine compartment? Are we talkin' large hammer and shoehorn here, or...?

Last edited:
Got the finished adapter this week.
A huge THANKS to Fran and the guys at RCR for making my design into a real part.

Now on to the next challenges. Flywheel and starter relocation.

Attachments

• Final-adapter.JPG
    Final-adapter.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 462

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have to say I'm surprised at your choice of transmissions. While the T5 is light weight, they aren't known for their strength. While there are aftermarket T5's that are stronger (such as the GForce), I'd have recommended a Tremec TKO-600..

I have to say I'm surprised at your choice of transmissions. While the T5 is light weight, they aren't known for their strength. While there are aftermarket T5's that are stronger (such as the GForce), I'd have recommended a Tremec TKO-600..

Here was my logic for trans selection.

By 1993, the standard Ferrari 348 was making 310 HP@7200 and 237 ft/lbs@ 4200.
That was with cats and all emission crap and they weighed 3000 lbs.
I’m doing some internal motor mods (head work, cams, hi-comp) and no cats, but my intake will limit me some. I hope to make around 350HP and 250ft/lbs. The T5 is more than enough to handle those numbers and my car should be less than 2500 lbs.

I’ve even decided to run a Ford 7.5 rear axle instead of an 8.8. The 7.5 more than handles the power and I don’t want to add weight.

I wanted a bellhousing that generally matched the Ferrari block. I found all V8 bells were so large that they came up higher than the valve covers, really ugly looking. The Ford 2.3 bell was the perfect size, and came with a T5 pattern.

Also I can get the ratios I want, several tail shafts to place the shifter anywhere I need, and as you mentioned, it’s only 75lbs total weight. Plus compared to the TKO, these can be had for cheap.

How's this project coming along? For some reason, I seem to have taken a sudden interest in all things Ferrari V8 ;)

So I have finally started on the cylinder heads.

My plan
348 castings
Porting
Bronze valve guides
Shim under bucket
Titanium retainers
Oversize 31.5mm intake valves
Oversize 28.5 exhaust valves
Aftermarket springs
Modified cams

I started with checking my chamber size.
Average across all - 109cc

Attachments

• chamber-1.jpg
    chamber-1.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 253
  • chamber-2.jpg
    chamber-2.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 254
  • chamber-3.jpg
    chamber-3.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
New parts collected

Attachments

• parts-1.jpg
    parts-1.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 234
  • parts-2.jpg
    parts-2.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 234
  • parts-3.jpg
    parts-3.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 212
  • valves-1.jpg
    valves-1.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 236
I got the guides from Superformance and then had them modified to use Ducati guide seals. Much cheaper than Ferrari guide seals and I already had a bag of them.

Attachments

• guides-1.jpg
    guides-1.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 223
  • guides-3.jpg
    guides-3.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 235

Ron Earp

Admin
I’ve even decided to run a Ford 7.5 rear axle instead of an 8.8. The 7.5 more than handles the power and I don’t want to add weight.

That it does. We've been road racing the 7.5" for over two years and it has behaved beautifully, although everyone told us it would not last. The 7.5 and 8.8 used the same axles, but the rest of the construction is smaller and lighter. But still, it is domestically constructed and plenty beefy for the lighter weights of the types of cars we're all interested in using.

What's the valve stem diameter on those valves?

What's the valve stem diameter on those valves?

The stems are 7mm.
I got lucky and SI Valves had the 28.5 exhaust valves as old stock and I got them for $16 each. The 31.5 intakes I could not find and had Ferrea custom make those.
So I'm into the valves for under $1K. Not too bad.

Ron Earp

Admin
Just scrolled down to see what this was for and looked up the Fulvia. Generally I don't care for Italian sedans, or Italian cars for that matter, but this little car is cool.

modelpicture.php

Set the heads up on a Sunnen VGS-20 machine to remove the old guides.

Center on each and use a reamer to shell out the guide. Then they knock out super easy.
No possible damage to the bores and no need for oversize guides.

Attachments

• guides-out-1.jpg
    guides-out-1.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 234
  • guides-out-2.jpg
    guides-out-2.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 233
  • guides-out-3.jpg
    guides-out-3.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 230
  • guides-out-4.jpg
    guides-out-4.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 230
I installed the new guides today.
I don’t like hammering guides in place, so I made a custom tool.

I use a little smear of lanolin on the outside of the guide and they just pull right into place.
No pounding, and nice and straight.

Attachments

• guides-in-1.jpg
    guides-in-1.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 247
  • guides-in-2.jpg
    guides-in-2.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 231
  • guides-in-3.jpg
    guides-in-3.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 293
  • guides-in-4.jpg