#@$%#@# filling up with gas!

I love my 2001 CAV Gt40 but I have got to figure out a way to refuel it without getting my car and myself covered in gas! Has anyone else found a solution to this poorly engineered venting scenario? Gary

Gary,

There are inline "tees" available for adding fuel return lines, via the fill tube,
to add on EFI systems. Perhaps one of these,
vented into the wheel well?

Bill

All cars should leave the factory with a vent line attached to the overflow nipple and run outside the vehicle. The attachment can be seen by removing the panel just rearward of the front wheel (below the filler). Look and see if the hose is attached properly.

Gary, I have the hose that is connected to the gas tank up to the nipple in the gas filler area. But the fuel comes shooting out of the nipple. Is this the correct way? I have to hold a rag over the nipple to stop the fuel from shooting all over the nose of my car.

OK I was confused with what you were saying before. I was talking about the small hose (~3/8") that is connected to a vent line. If sounds like you are getting back wash from the main fill tube. Have you tried filling more slowly at the end? Has anyone else seen this issue?

I recently heard that the extensive anti-slosh foam in the tanks causes some cars to "burp" when filled at full gas pump speed (irrspective of the vent). Maybe a bigger still vent line. That's what I'm doing on my ERA tanks since I've got them out for resealing.

I could slow down when filling but I'm anxious to get back on the road!

Chuck

Ian Clark

Supporter
This sounds peculiar to your car. Just wondering which CAV dealer is closest to you? This is something we want to get sorted out right away. If you like, send me the particulars of your car to: [email protected], be glad to help out.

Fast5racer,
Yes something is wrong or you are pumping way to fast. The only trouble I have with my CAV is if one of the admirers distract me and I over fill the tank, which has happened twice. Joe

I have a very early CAV monocoque car and I have the same problem. I have to fill very slowly or the fuel will flood back and actually run down the side of the car. I have to fill very slowly and hold the gas nozzle the entire time and watch carefully that the fuel is not backing up the fill pipe.

Back