Fillmore’s RCR Mk1 GT40

Tim Collins

Supporter
My name is Tim Collins. I’m building an RCR 40 for my buddy Chris Fillmore. We picked up most of the Mk1 kit, which is only a short drive across town, in October 2018. Over the next several months we procured the Coyote engine and started assembling the chassis. Then in the spring of 2019, my wife was diagnosed with stage four cancer. The car and other projects were put on hold while we started chemo and the search for clinical trials.

Chassis assembly.JPG

Tim Collins

Supporter
In late November 2019, I started working on the GT40 again in earnest. The first step was to tackle the chassis modifications that we had been contemplating since we first tried to fit the Gen-2 Coyote engine. The engine was very close to fitting the chassis; however, it would require solid engine mounts and less than ideal space for the bundle of snakes. Also, the starter did not fit. So, we decided the cut out the dead space and reconfigure the area for Mustang motor mounts, and stock accessory drive, including the A/C Compressor. Very happy with the results.

AC comp and starter clearance.JPG
FEAD clearance.JPG

Tim Collins

Supporter
I designed and fabricated new rear clip hinges, taking ideas from what others have done. Highly recommended…robust, opens and closes smoothly and very easy to take off and put on by yourself. The 4 individual stanchions make it easy to shim and make the pivots parallel. For final assembly, I will turn down the aluminum pivot bod
Rear Clip Hinge Dwg.JPG
y and add a nylon or Teflon sleeve. This will eliminate galling and mitigate any metal to metal rattle.
Rear Clip Hinge.JPG
Rear Clip Hinge mounted.JPG

Tim Collins

Supporter
Finally cut away enough of the rear clip inner structure to improve the body alignment at the rockers. With it closed in position, I then riveted aluminum plates over the seam. After confirming it opened and closed smoothly, I then removed the rear clip and re-glassed the seam from the inside.

rear clip width.JPG

Rear clip relief.JPG

rear clip riveted.JPG

Very nice rear clam hinge redesign Tim! Thanks for sharing your engineering. I would be very interested to pony up for an install kit if you were to make them available... ;) ;)

Tim Collins

Supporter
Welp, its been 3 years since my last post. After my wife passed, I started spending winters in Scottsdale AZ to be closer to my daughters. I worked on the car mostly in the winters, so not much happened last couple years. I promised Chris a committed effort to finish the GT in 2024. January started off well. Installed the clutch, wired and plumbed the engine. Fired it for the first time this week. We are attempting to use speed density for engine control. This is more challenging with InnoV8 intake because there is no plenum for a MAP signal. The intake we bought has a couple ports that connects via a small groove to the ports; horrible design if you have my knowledge of intakes. Anyway we roughed a vacuum chamber out of PCV and now seem to have a stable MAP signal. I'm not sure what the minimal size chamber is needed but our first attempt was too small.

first engine start.jpg
fake plenum.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Tim:
Very sorry to hear about the passing of your wife. Enjoy the build and good luck with it!

PS: spent 3 years working in EE at ASU - that's when/where I got hooked on old (British sports) cars ...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Tim, on behalf of all the Admin Team here on GT40's - please accept our deepest condolences on the passing of your wife.
---
Very creative on the construction of your vacuum reservoir!

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Tim, as Randy said please accept our deepest condolences on the passing of your wife. May she RIP. The build is coming along and has some nice modifications that others can benefit from as well. I will be using your hinge idea myself.
Thank You
Regards Brian

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Well Tim, take comfort in knowing you certainly are not the first, or the last person to forget it. Catching it is the key here I think. As always great work.

Regards Brian

Chris Kouba

Supporter
What's even worse is when you find one in your parts pile and don't remember if it's an extra or if you did forget to install, then you crack it all open again only to find a bearing staring back at you from the flywheel already. I know someone who did that...

Neil

Supporter
What's even worse is when you find one in your parts pile and don't remember if it's an extra or if you did forget to install, then you crack it all open again only to find a bearing staring back at you from the flywheel already. I know someone who did that...
Ditto for the cam thrust bearing in a SBC. I know someone who did that!:confused:

Back