First thoughts on building a GT40......

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Bill, yes needs updating badly, I've also not disclosed 2 or 3 of the build attempts as they were not to good, very basic 'sticks' to test basic concepts. All fans (3 of them) are independantly powered by three brushless motors and 16 cells, each motor will handle 1Kw of power and rotate the fans at about 35,000 rpm. As far as the computer thing, I've got 3 solid state gyros, and some custom built mixers, and the most complex computer known to man to control it........ my brain..... its going to be scary I've done some testing (in my kitchen) and the fans actually sound like a jet engine, the efflux velocity is about 130-150 mph. Talk about leaf blower........it gives me something to do while I wait for my chassis/motor/body/suspension etc...

BTW the 'other' supplier I've found has a 90% complete chassis and I will visit him in about 2 weeks to check build quality and more importantly to see if I can fit into the chassis. Cant Wait........

Wow! Great site! You're obviously much too clever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Makes my Mardave Maruader look a bit clunky... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Altho on a slightly different 'vane', doesn't Andy Sheldon of Tornado also have a business making jet engines for RC aircraft ?

Doc,

A late friend of mine(whose name I have forgotten), was an engineer at Pratt&Whitney. He showed me some classified stuff on ducted fan tests in the early 80's(early Raptor program). There were some SPECTACULAR failures, but what a neat principle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif The ultimate "turn on a dime" aircraft! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The "35" should eat up everything in the sky!

My congratulations to you and everyone else involved!

Quite an accomplishment, and one hell of an aircraft!

Bill

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Doc Watson,

Sorry for bringing your old thread up but when I saw your post here:

I was just curious on how you started in here.......

..... keep on going, I Love to follow your build log .....

Markus

Well not a gt40 my Datsun 260z has been in the shed for 23 years now and 20 of that is wait for me to assemble it as I have taken on other projects (other Datsun 240z racecars, motorbike, 4 kids) but it needs to get finished to help fund the GT40 kit that is on its way soon

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
still there....

I own the f35b.com site untill about 2028....... even had a company called Lockheed interested in buying the rights.......

I initially had 3 ducted fans and blew them up!!!!! it would cost about 5K to get the thing up and running using these fans....

look at the specs for the DS-DIA-215 HST

they are not cheap but can produce up to 25 kg of thrust!!!!! 2 required for the f35b...... I couldn't justify the cost as I had remortgaged my flat to buy a few sheets of sheet steel masquerading as a gt40 chassis!!!!

Then there is the Gauge 1 live steam 'Evening Star' I am building, and I also have 5 sets of cast wheels (and full plans) to build a gauge 1 (about 1/32 scale) BR52 loco....

1601982731295.png

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
still there....

I own the f35b.com site untill about 2028....... even had a company called Lockheed interested in buying the rights.......

I initially had 3 ducted fans and blew them up!!!!! it would cost about 5K to get the thing up and running using these fans....

look at the specs for the DS-DIA-215 HST

they are not cheap but can produce up to 25 kg of thrust!!!!! 2 required for the f35b...... I couldn't justify the cost as I had remortgaged my flat to buy a few sheets of sheet steel masquerading as a gt40 chassis!!!!

Then there is the Gauge 1 live steam 'Evening Star' I am building, and I also have 5 sets of cast wheels (and full plans) to build a gauge 1 (about 1/32 scale) BR52 loco....

View attachment 110473
Doc,
I was a live steam fan too.
Here is the back of my shed at the moment, with old machines and unfinished projects. I had some of 5" and 3.5" gauge locos on the go for years until this thing took over.
Scots, A1/A3s and King class which you probably know about.
fullsizeoutput_f1f.jpeg
IMG_1074.JPG

Doc ; seems we have similar interest on that "iron field":D
I have too a big collect of 1/35 M113 models ( most of those being scratch built models variants)
And some 10 years ago I built for my 2 young grandson a 2/5 scale AMX 40 !!!!!! just have alook at those pics
Kids enjoyed driving the stufff ( now it lives near londonon display at apaintbal field ; I swapped the thing with the 908 bodywork !!!!!)

Attachments

• bignan (18).JPG
    bignan (18).JPG
    610.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 10+i%C3%A8me+St+Christophe+Bignan_9882.JPG
    10+i%C3%A8me+St+Christophe+Bignan_9882.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 10+i%C3%A8me+St+Christophe+Bignan_9881.JPG
    10+i%C3%A8me+St+Christophe+Bignan_9881.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 181
  • test.JPG
    test.JPG