flags on names

I'm seeing lots of chequered flags all of a sudden next to peoples names.
They weren't there last week, so what's changed ?
I'm guessing they are for paid up supporters that used to have stars instead, right ?

Just wondering, as I can't see a post anywhere else about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cheers,
John.

Ron Earp

Admin
Sorry John,

I didn't post anything due to time. I felt the little flags for more appropriate for a "car" site than the stars, so I changed all the icons for that. They do represent current supporters of the site and once again, I appreciate the support.

I'm currently collecting a kitty for new forum software - there are so much better packages available out there that seemlessly offer great features like galleries, photo hosting, good searching, auto indexing for FAQ, etc. The current software can have some of that stuff, but it is a lot like a UNIX OS - it is supported by users and what you have to do is keep adding patches and tack-ons for every feature and sooner or later, usually sooner, something interferes with something else and you've got a broken feature (seach engine) with no real support mode to get it fixed. Not good. So, I'd rather pay real money but get some real software and end some of the headaches.

Thanks much,
Ron

No problem Ron, just I thought I might have missed something important /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I know what you mean about incremental add-ons. Your doing a cracking job though,
so keep up the good work. Heaven knows how you find the time to do everything else
as well as look after this site !

Are you asking for more donations ? If so, might be worth putting up a thread about it
with details onhow to donate.
I'm sure some of us could afford a few more $ to help the cause. After all the
amount your looking for is a drop in the ocean compared to the general build costs
for most of these cars... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cheers,
John.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey John, no, but thanks. We're fine on money and right now are almost there since we got advertisers - the ones who I think should pay for us being around since we certainly provide them with income. I'm just trying to do my homework and select the right forum software, there are a lot out there and it is not easy to separate the wheat from the chaff. I just don't have a ton of time to devote to the task.

Ron

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Although I am perfectly content with the current format, with your limited time Ron, maybe a hired qualified source to help would expedite your quest. I for one would contribute as mentioned above. You can recoup the cost from the advertisers down the road. Only a suggestion you've undoubtedly thought of, oh 'fearless leader' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My real point here, as John eluded to, feel free to ask anytime for support. We're all here to help how ever, what ever way we can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Tim,

Funny you mention that - yep, I have a "hired gun" on the forum case to check things out. The biggest fear I have is swapping to a new format, and this is where these guys come in handy. They do this for a living, that is code forums and service them, and the few hundred bucks they charge to handle this delicate task is well worth it. I'd hate to lose a lot of data and information, that'd be a diaster!

Ron

Back