Flat Plane Crank LS1

Nothing too exciting and I have been working on other projects lately trying to get stuff done before the SLC arrives in Dec. I have to finish up these before I even start the SLC so it might be sitting for a bit under a car cover for a few months. Just still figuring out little things on the engine now. I am still deciding on items, such as which valves and sizes. I have the LS6 heads so I plan on using them, but I am debating on getting an LS2 block instead so we will see. The LS1 block I have has a scatch on a cylidner wall so I can bore and hone that if needed, but it has me worried a bit so I might just buy a new LS2 or even LS3 block instead. If I do that I might change the stroke to 3.0 instead of 3.187 to keep the size basically the same and keep the hp the same, but might rev faster and better. The crank is ordered and paid for a long time ago and I am in line for when they have time to do it, which they still say is Jan so I have a minute to decide on the stroke. The cam is ordered and should be here any day I think. Anyone with a good place to get a new LS2 or LS3 block?

I am thinking I am going to use TEA for the head CNC work and assembly. I plan to rev to 8,200, give or take, so it gives me some room there to not get Ti valves to keep the cost down. So we will see. I am thinking 2.08 intake and 1.6 or 1.625 exhaust to let it flow well.

My current project. V6 mide engine mini that weights 1800lbs.
mini012.JPG

The sad thing is the ling is turbo so it hurts the sound. 600+ Hp is way more than enough for me.

I do think I am goo go use the ls3 block and 3.0 stroke now. Anyone have a good place to buy a new block? I remember seeing it somewhere online for like 1450, but not sure where now.

You don't need a turbo, you could go cams and maybe some ported heads and you'll make plenty of power, and your power curve will look soo much better than a turbo motor! Also, they are kind of pricey but would be a lot better in the long run if you plan on revving this motor like you say, but some strong lightweight Ti connection rods may do some good!

I did not plan a turbo, but I was commenting on the sound from the ling car. The flat plane will have plenty of power for me with the car. Ti con rods would be great, but break my bank for sure. The custom ones I am getting are in the $1600-1900 range and about 525-550 grams each.

I am now leaning towards an LS2 block with the 4"x3" bore to stroke. We will see about valves and head work. That is the next item to really figure out. What valves, SS or Ti? What valve seats if Ti valves, CuBu or other? What valve sizes, 2.12/2.10,2.08/2.055/1.6/1.625/1.63? Choices. I do plan on using T and D shaft mount rockers as they can make them the .100 taller for the longer valves I plan on using due to the large valve springs I need for the seat and open pressure.

I did not plan a turbo, but I was commenting on the sound from the ling car. The flat plane will have plenty of power for me with the car. Ti con rods would be great, but break my bank for sure. The custom ones I am getting are in the $1600-1900 range and about 525-550 grams each.

I am now leaning towards an LS2 block with the 4"x3" bore to stroke. We will see about valves and head work. That is the next item to really figure out. What valves, SS or Ti? What valve seats if Ti valves, CuBu or other? What valve sizes, 2.12/2.10,2.08/2.055/1.6/1.625/1.63? Choices. I do plan on using T and D shaft mount rockers as they can make them the .100 taller for the longer valves I plan on using due to the large valve springs I need for the seat and open pressure.

Well this is where budget comes in to play more. If you plan on revving you want the lightest valve train possible, so Ti retainers would be best, but they are going to run you about $500 more than the ss chromoly. I believe valve size will depend on your other head work. So that depends on cams and porting, etc.

My current project. V6 mide engine mini that weights 1800lbs.
mini012.JPG

You sir, OWE us more information, yes that's right OWE us :D

I've seen precisely ONE *real* Mini since I've been in the US and that was at SEMA. I'd toyed with the idea of putting on in the container I didn't need which the company provided when I moved over.

Problem is, I feel TINY in my Miata in Texas so driving a Mini in Texas would be a scary thing...

Well this is where budget comes in to play more. If you plan on revving you want the lightest valve train possible, so Ti retainers would be best, but they are going to run you about $500 more than the ss chromoly. I believe valve size will depend on your other head work. So that depends on cams and porting, etc.

I have the springs and Ti retainers now. I am leaning more and more towards the Ti valves now as I have found ones that will not cost $200 per hole. I will go with the 7mm valves. The 7mm valve guides cost me $4 each, just press away and new valve guide. Now I can use 7mm Ti valves that are way less money than one off custom ones for the 8mm stem we have. This way I can rev higher if wanted and safer. I also got CuBu valve seats for $7 each, it is great when stuff sits on shelfs for year and this time a year they will give stuff away. It is all starting to come together.

Anyone know where to buy a good new LS2 block? I found like $1150 then shipping, but anything lower?

You sir, OWE us more information, yes that's right OWE us :D

I've seen precisely ONE *real* Mini since I've been in the US and that was at SEMA. I'd toyed with the idea of putting on in the container I didn't need which the company provided when I moved over.

Problem is, I feel TINY in my Miata in Texas so driving a Mini in Texas would be a scary thing...

It is small, that is for sure, but the way I built it it has a good amount of head room and plenty of leg room. Side to side is tight since I left the gas tank in the middle of the car. It should be fun when done and I plan to use it as my daily driver, or one of them I should say. It runs and drives now as I wanted to finish mechanicals before body work. It is faster than you would think due to light weight and the V6. I do ponder putting in a faster V6 and maybe even SC someday, but I need to finsih it up first so I can use it. I am trying to finish it up this month before the SLC is here and has gravity like a black hole.

Sorry as I thought I put my blog for the build up on the site here already. Here it is from start to almost current. I have not updated it in a bit as I have been busy. I am still carving the foam deciding what I want to do with the shape. I put most of it up on the blog from start to finish.

MR2 Mini

Troy,

I would try contacting Thomson racing engines in MI to see if they can source a block. They do very nice engine builds at a very reasonable price, so they might have something for you. I have no affiliation with them, but they did some work for me a while back.

Tom

It is small, that is for sure, but the way I built it it has a good amount of head room and plenty of leg room. Side to side is tight since I left the gas tank in the middle of the car. It should be fun when done and I plan to use it as my daily driver, or one of them I should say. It runs and drives now as I wanted to finish mechanicals before body work. It is faster than you would think due to light weight and the V6. I do ponder putting in a faster V6 and maybe even SC someday, but I need to finsih it up first so I can use it. I am trying to finish it up this month before the SLC is here and has gravity like a black hole.

Sorry as I thought I put my blog for the build up on the site here already. Here it is from start to almost current. I have not updated it in a bit as I have been busy. I am still carving the foam deciding what I want to do with the shape. I put most of it up on the blog from start to finish.

MR2 Mini

Awesome on so many levels! Thank you!

Good luck on the build. I have been a fan of the SLC and just saw your username and put 2 and 2 together. Troy from trueleo racing, I have been a member of the mr2 forms since I was 18 years old, gone through 3 of them, one being a 91 turbo, i installed a upgraded turbo kit that came with one of your t3/t4 adapters, I even talked to you via email a couple of times, you were really helpfull! Anyways good luck and I can't wait to see the final outcome.

Good luck on the build. I have been a fan of the SLC and just saw your username and put 2 and 2 together. Troy from trueleo racing, I have been a member of the mr2 forms since I was 18 years old, gone through 3 of them, one being a 91 turbo, i installed a upgraded turbo kit that came with one of your t3/t4 adapters, I even talked to you via email a couple of times, you were really helpfull! Anyways good luck and I can't wait to see the final outcome.

I can never hide. The SLC is just my evolution of cars, not that I do not still love my MR2's and my MR2 race car.

MR2 ---> Lotus Elise SC--- > MR2 V6 Race Car ----> MR2 V6 Mini Body ----> SLC stock LS1 350hp ----> SLC Flat Plane Crank 6XXhp (SLC-FPC-618)

I just finished reading through this thread and am pretty interested in how this turns out for you. It should be a really cool engine! Good luck!

Has anyone done an LS series engine with 180 degree headers? Will that fit in the SLC's engine bay?

Jeeze, who's selling you titanium retainers for $500 more than stainless? I can buy a full set for under $200. Do you mean valves?

I'm glad someone is finally doing a flat-plane crank for the LS motors. I always had the idea in my head, but it would be way to pricey to just do a one-off.

Back