Flat Plane Crank LS1

Nothing crazy exciting, I am just having a super busy year so far with racing and other projects. I got my minimr2 back and nothing was done on that so I have to do that. I have been racing my MR2 in Chumpcar a bunch and that has taken time. We have done well though with a win at Road Atlanta, back to back wins at Watkins Glen and a 2nd at Calabogie. I have VIR UTCC this weekend and then 3 months off to finish up projects and get things done to start on the SLC. I did change my mind on a few items and got a different transmission. It totally blew the budget but I am really excited about a full sequential trans that can handle the power, has LSD and you only need to use the clutch to start and stop. Really cool unit.
sideEngine_fullsize__11840.1398449148.390.260.png

I don't know guys. I guess we'll just have to wait and see :lipsrsealed: That's no ordinary coyote and definitely doesn't sound like it has FI. Lingenfelter's LS flat plane sounds nothing like an ordinary flat plane and this one sings pretty well at higher rpms. My bets are still on it being a flat plane but I could be wrong. Time will tell :thumbsup:
Sorry for the hijack, Troy!

That is a quaife 6 speed Full Sequential transaxle LSD. I got mine with the Porsche bellhousing and also ordered the shifter and gear indicator. It does look really pretty here. Now I just need to get an engine to adapt up to it since I just blew all of it on that transaxle. I do have a 1uzfe sitting here that I might throw on it until I have the money for engine I want. My mini is at the body shop and car project just about done so I can actually start on the SLC here this winter.
Link to the trans 6 Speed Sequential Mid-Engine Transaxle - store.supercarsystem.com
blogger-image--1456275184.jpg

I don't compute? What do you mean by another engine? What's up with the flat crank? Will that be on hold ? If you need an adapter for the Porsche style bell housing why can't you get the Kennedy Engineering system? You're putting me in a tail spin here.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes. I have gone all over the spectrum for engines. Started out as a 3mz/1mz V6 twin turbo, then ls376/480, then flat plane crank custom LS3. I did blow my budget on the trans as I felt that having a full seq box would really make the car what I want it to be. As a motorcycle guy that just comes out. I have a 1uzfe sitting in my garage with harness and ecu that I might put in just to get it running and going at this point over the winter here. My wife wants her heated garage back for the winter as the SLC has been sitting there for a while and now that the mini is basically done (at paint now) and my other project car is almost done (to sell for the engine) I can actually do this. Running the race car team and doing all the races takes up most of my time so soon I hope. I still have an idea for a BMW S85 V10. That sounds amazing, revs to 9000, will have close to 600hp and be unique and cost about 1/3 of the flat plane crank engine when done. Choices.

yep, back on post #274 & pistons/cam on #249, plus bell housing & sequential trans, looks like the rods are next plus valve train/heads/ decisions to make. Don't understand the Toyota fork in the road, a std LS3 for shakedown and initial chassis sort out would make more sense to save a lot of time later especially if making headers etc.

Not to sidetrack, but I've thought about instead of a flatplane crank going another route, though with a little bit of a different engine.

The VK56 has the same bore spacing, deck height, and a bunch of other specs that are VERY similiar to the LS(x).

I've often toiled with the idea of swapping around the heads on the VK (not possible with an LSx because of the pushrod design) to create a "hot head" configuration (ala BMW's current V8 setup). This would allow a very easy 180 header configuration. Listen to the turbo V8 (N63 engine?) and it has a very smooth exotic sound. I guess it would be a matter getting the oil and cooling passages to line up, if that is even possible.

I have these parts now. Crank, con rods, pistons, cams and con rod bearings. Some of the hard parts are done and the rest are basically pre done LS type of parts, like heads, valves, etc. I did a lot of research and figured out just what configurations and items I would want and have the list of items. The cost is high to make it the way I want so I might put it on the back burner and get something else in the interim so I can having it running in this century. The 1uz is super cheap and with one sitting in my garage and easy option if all else fails. I could always throw on some cheap turbo kits and make a custom sheet metal intake and have 500-600hp if needed. I am leaning towards the BMW V10 S85 right now. It will do everything I want with sound, power, rpm, but is more complex for sure than the 1uzfe. I am going to sell a car here soon and it depends on the money I get for it as I used my moneys on the trans.

Troy, I am not trying to derail you, or put you down or anything (you have done an amazing job!). I am just informing you that it is official.

"The Ford Motor Company has today revived a legendary name in the form of the Shelby Mustang GT350. True to its name, the new GT350 is not just another trim level as it features a purpose built, flat-plane V8 engine. Using this crankshaft design, usually only found in European exotics like the Ferrari 458, the new 5.2 litre engine is the most powerful naturally aspirated V8 ever made by Ford; it produces in excess of 500 bhp."

2015 Ford Shelby Mustang GT350 - Images, Specifications and Information

"The Ford Motor Company has today revived a legendary name in the form of the Shelby Mustang GT350. True to its name, the new GT350 is not just another trim level as it features a purpose built, flat-plane V8 engine. Using this crankshaft design, usually only found in European exotics like the Ferrari 458, the new 5.2 litre engine is the most powerful naturally aspirated V8 ever made by Ford; it produces in excess of 500 bhp."

Looks like a good match for a Graziano transaxle, price allowing.

Troy, I am not trying to derail you, or put you down or anything (you have done an amazing job!). I am just informing you that it is official.

If you look a few posts up, I brought it up months back. The sound seems to throw everyone in this thread off. Doesn't sound like a typical production flat plane but it's also the biggest displacement fp yet. Frankly, I think this is very similar to how a fp LS would sound considering the displacement. Lingenfelter's fp is very similar in sound.

If you look a few posts up, I brought it up months back. The sound seems to throw everyone in this thread off. Doesn't sound like a typical production flat plane but it's also the biggest displacement fp yet. Frankly, I think this is very similar to how a fp LS would sound considering the displacement. Lingenfelter's fp is very similar in sound.
Yes, Matt, you did! It's a great post. I love the video.

I am not trying to denigrate your post, your video, or anything. It's just that Ford had just made the official announcement that they will actually make this engine. We no longer need to stay up late at night, dreaming, wondering, scheming. I thought that the official announcement would be of sufficient moment to merit a post.

That's all!

Les :)

Yes, Matt, you did! It's a great post. I love the video.

I am not trying to denigrate your post, your video, or anything. It's just that Ford had just made the official announcement that they will actually make this engine. We no longer need to stay up late at night, dreaming, wondering, scheming. I thought that the official announcement would be of sufficient moment to merit a post.

That's all!

Les :)
Of course. No offense taken! I appoloize if I came across that way. I was actually planning to make the same post considering I thought Troy would be interested and maybe partly to rub it in a little since nobody believed me :evil: Sorry for the derail, Troy!

Back