For Fran "da Man"

Hey when you build a chassis for a new design, do you build the body first and then try to figure out how to build the chassis? I kinda know you have to build the body first so I guess I'm asking. how do you come up with the best chassis for the design?

My thoughts on how to approach a clean sheet design:

When starting out at least do the following, in this order:

Decide what the car is going to look like, i.e what body shell, if not original. This also determines wheel base dimension and the width over wheels. i.e determine the wheel positions.
If original body, decide on at least the front and rear track, wheel base can be adjusted.
Decide on what tyres you will use, exact width and profile, and procure if you are serious.
Decide on what hubs/uprights/steering rack you will use and procure/make if you are serious
Decide on what rims/offset you will use and procure if you are serious
Decide on what engine and transmission you will use and procure if you are serious.
Position all above parts on garage floor or build table and sort ergonomics – where do you fit?
If you are going to draw up in cad, finalize the position of all above parts in your model only now.
All the above could be an iterative process, but please complete it BEFORE you start the chassis.

Design suspension – if you are not going to do the research to enable you to do this yourself the only options are:
Get someone else to do it for you
Copy an existing car, strictly only valid if using that cars uprights/hubs/wheels/tyres.
Guess

Once you know where the inner suspension points are, you can design the chassis, to accommodate all above. CAD / balsa model / cut and tack on build table are all valid methods, but best results would be obtained by combining them.

Cheers

Fred W B

Back