Ford has completed production.

I was at the local Ford dealership yesterday and as I was sitting in a new black one the manager told me that Ford has completed production. He said that 4,000 have been assembled. He also told me that the selling prices are getting very close to sticker. Now don't forget that these guys like to sell cars and may tell you anything. Joseph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

That dealer is either stupid or lying about the production.

2005 production is complete, about 2200 cars. 2006 production is ongoing through August 2006 for US cars, and they may make a few more after that for Canada or Europe if necessary to complete the run.

Through last week, they had made 1845 this year and 517 last year, see
http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA40041220.PDF

Prices are definitely down to sticker, see www.FordGTprices.com

Ford will make the Ford GT up through September 30th or the final goal they set which is around 3,600 cars now. They lost production during the suspension recall. They can't make them after Sept 30, 2006 as the seats in the car do not meet a new Federal standard that goes effect Oct 1, 2006. Ford would have to redesign the whole interior chassis to meet the standard.

No more Ford GT and probably nothing like this again. They are going to stick to producing modified production cars like the Mustang Shelby GT500.

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
It is probably due to the implementation of Dynamic Airbag Safety System (DASS) where crash testing is done with out of position ATD's and 5%tile female ATD's. This part of US occupant safety regs has a staggered implementation date related to volume of vehicles manufactured. It is probable that Ford elected not to comply with this when vehicle first built. The additional testing adds enormous cost to vehicle development. US 49CFR 571.208, if you want some serious reading, can explain it all.
Trevor

Back