Fuel pump and float GTD

Paul Williams

Supporter
Hi guys
Can anyone please advise me where I can buy in the UK a new fuel pump and fuel tank float assembly for my 1990 GTD the pump is banging a bit and I can smell fuel when I'm driving even though I have checked and can't see any leaks so not been using that side have attached a couple of pictures have a good day and thanks cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220123-125825_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220123-125825_Gallery.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot_20220123-125833_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220123-125833_Gallery.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 163

Malcolm

Supporter
I just bought replacement fuel pumps from Rally Design, cheapest place for the same item about £90 each inclusive VAT delivered. I think Europa Parts sells the basic fuel meter assembly?

Mike Pass

Supporter
Agree with Ian. I checked my hoses and they were ina terrible state inside. I have bought the ptfe lined hose and ends from Speedflow. The old hose ends will need to be changed as the new hose is different and the new hose ends use a ferrule in the fitting. These new ends will connect up with the fittings on your pumps, tanks, carbs etc. There is a guide on the site showing how to fit the new ends.
Great stuff this tokenistic addition of ethanol in fuel. Very green as it causes fires to burn out old cars and thereby stops our gas guzzling antics.
However I am sure the virtue signalling politicians won’t care about the cost to enthusiasts as they know we are probably too jaundiced to vote for them anyway.
Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Paul Williams

Supporter
Agree with Ian. I checked my hoses and they were ina terrible state inside. I have bought the ptfe lined hose and ends from Speedflow. The old hose ends will need to be changed as the new hose is different and the new hose ends use a ferrule in the fitting. These new ends will connect up with the fittings on your pumps, tanks, carbs etc. There is a guide on the site showing how to fit the new ends.
Great stuff this tokenistic addition of ethanol in fuel. Very green as it causes fires to burn out old cars and thereby stops our gas guzzling antics.
However I am sure the virtue signalling politicians won’t care about the cost to enthusiasts as they know we are probably too jaundiced to vote for them anyway.
Cheers
Mike
Thanks for your advice Mike Will do as you say
So would Shell Optimax still contain ethanol I use that and add an octane booster additive also
Cheers Paul

Mike Pass

Supporter
As far as I can tell without testing them all they all contain ethanol now. The cheaper stuff is10% ethanol and thepump is marked E10. The better and more expensive stuff is 5% ethanol and is marked E5 on the pump.
Here is a link to a thread on this very subject.
There are some additives which reduce the problems. I now remove it especially when the car istucked away for the winter.
Cheers
Mike

Paul Williams

Supporter
As far as I can tell without testing them all they all contain ethanol now. The cheaper stuff is10% ethanol and thepump is marked E10. The better and more expensive stuff is 5% ethanol and is marked E5 on the pump.
Here is a link to a thread on this very subject.
There are some additives which reduce the problems. I now remove it especially when the car istucked away for the winter.
Cheers
Mike
Mike sorry to bother you again how do i know what fuel pump to buy there are 3 different ones with different pressures not sure which i have or how to tell

Cheers Paul

Mike Pass

Supporter
It depends on your carb(s). Webers need 3psi or a bit less. Holleys 6/7psi. The pump will be a bit more than this and it will be reduced through the pressure regulator. Temporarily attach a fuel pressure gauge to check that the pressure is set correctly. I remove the gauge then as it’s not then needed and it’s one more failure point for a leak.
Cheers
Mike

Webers work best at approx 4 psi of fuel pressure (Not 2 psi like many of the older books stated.) and you need Volume not Pressure to keep the float bowl full of any carburetor.

Fuel pump specifications:

Facet silver Top, 36 GPH free flow, 23 GPH @ 2 psi. 11.5 GPH @ 4 psi.
Facet Red Top 40 GPH free flow, 35 GPH @ 2 psi. 20 GPH @ 4 psi
Facet Blue Top, 45 GPH, 38 GPH @ 2 psi. 23 GPH @ 4 psi

Facet Dura Lift 40285, 33 GPH Free Flow, 4-7 psi @ no flow.
Facet Dura Lift 40222, 33 GPH Free Flow, 9-11 psi @ no flow, 17 GPH @ 4 psi
Facet Dura Lift 40290, 50 GPH Free Flow, 12-15 psi @ no flow, 20 GPH @ 8 psi
Holley Red flows 97 Us Gph free flow - 67 Us Gph @ 5psi
Carter P4600HP flows 100 Us Gph free flow.

Steward Warner 240A, ?

Webers run 3-4 psi fuel pressure.
Holleys run 6-7 psi fuel pressure.

The more pressure a pump has to deliver the less GPH is pumped by the pump. That’s why we are not interested in free flow numbers given by the manufacturers.

Modern fuel pump calculators calculate:

250 bhp you´ll need 24 GPH @ 4 - 7 psi, that’s about max a Facet Dura Lift (40290) can handle.
350 bhp you’ll need 33 GPH @ 4 - 7 psi, so that leaves a Facet Red & Blue Top out.
400 bhp you’ll need 37 GPH @ 4 – 7 psi.
4 psi for the weber carb, 7 psi for a Holley carb.

Facet Red & Blue top pumps have no flow at 7 psi while Holley recommends 7 psi at idle, and a minimum 4 psi at engine redline for their carbs. So that rules a Facet pump out when running a Holley carburetor on any engine.

You also don’t want to be on the edge of a pumps capacity cause as the pump wears it affects its GPH.
Especially the Facet Red & Blue wears out fast. Unless you don’t drive that often.

If you run multiple carbs, you’ll have to take into account multiple float chambers have to be filled at the same time and rate. And as multiple carbs have multiple pump jets you’ll need some extra capacity to keep up the demand.

Facet Red or Blue pumps can be used if running them simultaneously.
Red & blue are the same pumps with the difference that the Red has a filter inside and the Blue not (no restriction hence the slightly more GPH).

My 50cents Holley red all the way.

Paul Williams

Supporter
Webers work best at approx 4 psi of fuel pressure (Not 2 psi like many of the older books stated.) and you need Volume not Pressure to keep the float bowl full of any carburetor.

Fuel pump specifications:

Facet silver Top, 36 GPH free flow, 23 GPH @ 2 psi. 11.5 GPH @ 4 psi.
Facet Red Top 40 GPH free flow, 35 GPH @ 2 psi. 20 GPH @ 4 psi
Facet Blue Top, 45 GPH, 38 GPH @ 2 psi. 23 GPH @ 4 psi

Facet Dura Lift 40285, 33 GPH Free Flow, 4-7 psi @ no flow.
Facet Dura Lift 40222, 33 GPH Free Flow, 9-11 psi @ no flow, 17 GPH @ 4 psi
Facet Dura Lift 40290, 50 GPH Free Flow, 12-15 psi @ no flow, 20 GPH @ 8 psi
Holley Red flows 97 Us Gph free flow - 67 Us Gph @ 5psi
Carter P4600HP flows 100 Us Gph free flow.

Steward Warner 240A, ?

Webers run 3-4 psi fuel pressure.
Holleys run 6-7 psi fuel pressure.

The more pressure a pump has to deliver the less GPH is pumped by the pump. That’s why we are not interested in free flow numbers given by the manufacturers.

Modern fuel pump calculators calculate:

250 bhp you´ll need 24 GPH @ 4 - 7 psi, that’s about max a Facet Dura Lift (40290) can handle.
350 bhp you’ll need 33 GPH @ 4 - 7 psi, so that leaves a Facet Red & Blue Top out.
400 bhp you’ll need 37 GPH @ 4 – 7 psi.
4 psi for the weber carb, 7 psi for a Holley carb.

Facet Red & Blue top pumps have no flow at 7 psi while Holley recommends 7 psi at idle, and a minimum 4 psi at engine redline for their carbs. So that rules a Facet pump out when running a Holley carburetor on any engine.

You also don’t want to be on the edge of a pumps capacity cause as the pump wears it affects its GPH.
Especially the Facet Red & Blue wears out fast. Unless you don’t drive that often.

If you run multiple carbs, you’ll have to take into account multiple float chambers have to be filled at the same time and rate. And as multiple carbs have multiple pump jets you’ll need some extra capacity to keep up the demand.

Facet Red or Blue pumps can be used if running them simultaneously.
Red & blue are the same pumps with the difference that the Red has a filter inside and the Blue not (no restriction hence the slightly more GPH).

My 50cents Holley red all the way.
Thanks for your advice

Paul

Back