Fuel Sender GTD

Paul Williams

Supporter
Hi guys after checking that my fuel gauge was working on my GTD 40 1991 im now thinking the sender is not working can anyone tell me where i would get one from please

Cheers

Paul

Ed McClements

Supporter
You wouldnt happen to know which one i would need

Do you have a close-up picture of the gauge (or gauges)? For example, I'm using a couple of these gauges:-

s-l500.jpg

which requires a sender with resistance ranging from 20 ohms (full) to 260 ohms (empty), like this Triumph TR unit:-

s-l1600.jpg

The sender arm can bent bent and shortened to match the tank depth, providing overall travel remains the same. The Smiths gauges also need a 10v input from a Lucas voltage stabiliser or equivalent. They don't work properly on the variable 12 to 14 volts of a vehicle supply.

s-l1600.jpg

But you need to start with identifying the gauge, then you'll know the sender resistance range you need. Finally, this might help:

Paul Williams

Supporter
Do you have a close-up picture of the gauge (or gauges)? For example, I'm using a couple of these gauges:-

s-l500.jpg

which requires a sender with resistance ranging from 20 ohms (full) to 260 ohms (empty), like this Triumph TR unit:-

s-l1600.jpg

The sender arm can bent bent and shortened to match the tank depth, providing overall travel remains the same. The Smiths gauges also need a 10v input from a Lucas voltage stabiliser or equivalent. They don't work properly on the variable 12 to 14 volts of a vehicle supply.

s-l1600.jpg

But you need to start with identifying the gauge, then you'll know the sender resistance range you need. Finally, this might help:

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Hi Eddie this is the fuel gauge not much to go by

Attachments

• 20210509_181357.jpg
    20210509_181357.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 149

Ed McClements

Supporter
Looks like a Smiths "GT40 style" gauge, and would require a 20-220 ohms (or thereabouts) sender:-

Though it might be the voltage regulator which has failed, and these are often wired to provide the necessary 10V feed for fuel gauge and oil temp / water temp gauges (all three of these require 10V to read correctly).

Paul Williams

Supporter
Looks like a Smiths "GT40 style" gauge, and would require a 20-220 ohms (or thereabouts) sender:-

Though it might be the voltage regulator which has failed, and these are often wired to provide the necessary 10V feed for fuel gauge and oil temp / water temp gauges (all three of these require 10V to read correctly).
Thanks Eddy

Back