G50.50/52 hypoid offset?

I have a factory workshop manual for G50-series 911's but, regarding transmission, its technical data unfortunately only reveals information of the smaller crown wheel sized G50s (7.5") of which the hypoid is 16mm, without mentioning anything about Turbo sized ones (9"). So, does anyone know the hypoid offset of the Turbo G50? Do you have a G50.50/52 diff housing lying about and if so, would you mind measuring it and let me know?

I dont have any P**** stuff lying about, but from what I understand the case /sideplate etc are major redesigns to accomodate the extra turbo power & therefore it seems logical that the extra dia would be factored into the stronger case design at the same time.... any change in hypoid offset would also dictate a change in trans gear shaft center dimension as well..... sooo checking to see if trans gears for plain G50/01 gears can be fitted to or are the same as G50/50-52 would answer your Q

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Unless in the major redesign they altered the position of the ring gear/output shafts......

I´ve been told that gears are the same on any G50 ,no difference dimensionwise, they fit vise versa, just different ratios of course.

TOM

any change in hypoid offset would also dictate a change in trans gear shaft center dimension as well.....
That's news to me. I thought any hypoid offset could be run with a given shaft centre distance. All the gears are located in the gear housing and the crown wheel is located in the diff housing... two different things, isn't it?

I doubt that an increase in hypoid offset could be obtained without an increase in shaft centers without a major rethink of the ring gear carrier assy, its clearance with input shaft is minimal as is. On the other hand a reduction might be plausable but then your getting back to the 4 spd 930 spiral bevel setup, If/when we do get the dimension checked I think we will find its the same with the case having been redesigned to accomodate the larger ring gear etc.

Last edited:
jac mac,
I didn't know that. Thanks for the explanation. :thumbsup:

So, I think you're right that the G50 turbo might have less hypoid because the GT3 trans (9") has just 10mm offset.

The info I have on these is that the g50 non turbo has a 16mm offset and the turbo has a 10mm offset. The non turbo ring gear is 7.40" (188mm) and the turbo is 8.46" (215mm) I have been told that all G50 gear sets are the same.

The 016 has a ring gear that is 7.1875" (182.5mm) with 12mm offset. The 944 turbo and the 01E have a 7.40" (188mm) ring gear and a 12mm offset.

The ring gear dimensions are all from actual measurements by myself (016 & 944 turbo) and a Porsche trans guy I recently met (o1E, g50 & g50 turbo)

That sounds more likely Pete, now if we could just get someone to take a pic of the G50 & G52 with the side covers off it would be clear to everyone, I would like to see a dimensioned factory drawing/blueprint just to clear up a couple of other things people keep asking about as well, found one of the 930 ages ago but never saved it, wont make that mistake again!!

Jac,

'89 G50.50, LSD with and without CMS billet side plate:

Attachments

• G50.50.jpg
    G50.50.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 265
  • _DSC2409.JPG
    _DSC2409.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 218
Back