G50 Gearbox differential question.

Help please.

Can the the differential be turned in a G50-03 rather than inverting the unit?

I can find no previous posting anywhere on this matter so anyones knowledge on this would be most gratefully received.

Thankyou,

Graham @ GTA.

Graham,

A very good question!

Since none of the GT40 or Ultima manufacturers using G50s

have done the ring gear/differential switch(That I'm aware

of), I would assume not. Perhaps some of the Ultima guys in

the UK would know for certain.

If you are thinking of a G50 for one of your cars, why not

invert it, since it will allow for a lower center of

gravity, particularly with a dry sumped engine.

Fitment constraints?? Shifter issues? Shaft angles?

Lee Stanley is in the process of installing a dry sumped,

extra low mounted engine/G50 gearbox, in his DRB.

**EMAIL DELETED AT USER REQUEST** You may want to contact Lee

regarding the modifications he is working on.

G50 inversion is simply a matter of reversing the location

of the vent/drain plugs, and flipping the box. A new rear

mount would be simple enough, and a lot easier than pulling

the gearbox apart!

If you'd like photos of my rear mount, etc., let me know.

Regards,

Bill

Bill,

Thankyou for your rapid response. No the G50 is not going in any GT40s and i know all about the inversion of them but what i don,t know, and for some reason i cannot find anyone who does know, is whether the diff can be flipped. I guess the answer is no, but i was trying to save unnecessary work of semi dismantling the cover plate to have a look, thus disturbing a good sound seal in a good box. Thanks though for your interest.

BUT, does anyone know different to Bills and my thoughts about this question please ?

Regards,

Graham.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Graham,
I believe the offroad boys do the swap. From memory I think it entails some machining of the housing. I came across a site when I was doing a Google search "5 speed" + trans. The name of the site was sand something, I think it was the name of a bird eg sandpiper or similar. The article was comparing the benefits of the G50 to the much more expensive and heavy Mendeola and Fortin trans.
Albins in Aussie are very helpfull and do offroad, an enquiry there may be fruitfull. [email protected]
Hope this is of some help.
Regards

In talking with a retired porsche mechanic who has run 427's with the porsche G50 and 930 trans, he said the R & P can be fliped.....but, there is considerable machining to be done and it leaves the walls very thin and that affets strenght. Most that have gone that way cannot handle the upper HP of V8's. Not to mention it cost $$$$.Why reinvent the wheel. The G50 and the 930 are the strongest boxes out there. Why weaken it??? All the adapters being made are for the inverted boxes, because it cost nothing to flip, and it doesn't interfere with anything shifter wise. If yoiu are concerned with oiling, get a spray unit. That's what I am doing.
Bill

Thankyou one and all for your replies. The G50 development was not to be mated to a V8 but on to a Porsche engine where no adaptor plate would be used.Sadly the four location suds are not symetrical, thus not allowing the inversion of the box on a mid engine set up along the lines i had in mind.

Back to the drawing board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Graham.

[ QUOTE ]
Thankyou one and all for your replies. The G50 development was not to be mated to a V8 but on to a Porsche engine where no adaptor plate would be used.Sadly the four location suds are not symetrical, thus not allowing the inversion of the box on a mid engine set up along the lines i had in mind.

Back to the drawing board !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Graham.

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham - try contacting patrick motorsports

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com

The do 914 to 914/6 conversions using late model 3.x
litre engines. I believe they've plopped G50s in some,
but I could be wrong.

Ian

Their is an old boy who used to race Porsche's near me who state's it is possible requiring only setting up the preload with shim's. He still has a workshop & looks after a few cars for people.
As to whether a foreign adapter plate/bellhousing would interfere with the new diff position dont know. But surely thats a bit machining if its ok in one position?

What about the Boxter gearbox, designed to be that way round rated at 260 BHP, so knowing porsche good for 285 BHP BHP, right off a bit easier than 911's so can be found in scrap yards!!

Cheers

Joe

Graham,

Just saw the post or would have replied further. All the 901 and 915 boxes were easy to swap the differential on. The g50 is a problem. There is clearly inadequate room without machining on the non-opening side. Worst, the rough measurements we did one indicated parts of the remaining case would be thinner than the removable side cover (which can always use upgrading).

Might need a different gearbox selection for that special project.

Chuck

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Graham, Why can't you machine the gear box shorter and then make a custom adapter to mate the inverted box to the Porsche engine?

How about those Hartwell latches I asked you for a year ago? Thanks

Back