Thanks!

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Chris,

This is port I used on my RBT.
I filled 2.5 liter in acc. RBT website:
http://www.rbttrans.com/graphics/rbt_faq_0610.pdf

I also created a "dip stick" where I can go through the fill port and so I can, at least roughly, figure out the fill level.

I have a pic somewhere > I will add that later.

Your shift mecanism looks interesting - I never saw this one before!

Can you enlighten us on this!

Regards,

Markus

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I talked to Griffin, they remove the oval cover on the drivers side and they said fill to that level, mine took 2.8 ltrs.

Steve

Supporter
Chris, I'm going to insert a file Lynn Miner gave me on the transaxle. I think the top port with the brass fitting would be the easiest port to use for filling. Use the instructions in the document. Also, Dennis Olthoff told me the brass fitting (which is essentially a breather valve) tends to spit oil. H recommended crimping the bottom of the vent and putting a small drill hole above the crimp. That essentially prevents the oil from sloshing up into it and spitting out the top. My plan is to plumb a remote breather. I do have one question for the group. The vent is a 1" port. I'm assuming that a 1" NPT fitting with a little thread sealant (with no copper washer) would work for this. I'm I correct on this?

Steve

Supporter
Not NPT. If you like ,tap and run a remote breather.
You can run a remote breather off the port where the brass vent screws into. It's a 1" port, just wondering if an aluminum NPT fitting is the way to go as there are a lot of options there, not many with a straight pipe thread

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Thanks for the pointers everyone, especially Markus and Steve.

My experience so far with the ZF (~4k miles) is the vent does not spit. Just looking to make sure I have enough fluid in it and re-fill in the proper location.

Markus - If you poke through my build thread, there are other pics which show the shifter. The pic above isn't mine but is an RCR. It shows the shifter mechanism pretty well- better than ones I took a quick look for... If you want specific pics, let me know and I can take a few.

https://www.gt40s.com/threads/rcr-40-31.20158/

Last edited:

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Chris, you're very welcome.

Please find the pics of my "dipstick" - bent out of a piece of TIG filler rod.....

DSCN2858.JPGDSCN2860.JPGDSCN2862.JPGDSCN2917.JPG

I don't have any issues with the breather valve and on top it is under the exhaust.......

For me it seemed to be more practical to go through the thread on the side.

Due to fresh oil I hardy could see the fill Level on the bare metal - therefore I put some tape on.

When filled with 2.5 liter the oil level is about 6 cm high on the dipstick.

Markus

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Jack, It looks like I have the same box Chris has pictured above. It is a 5 speed, not the new box that is pictured on their site ( I think is a six speed )
I understand there is a wait for the RBT 5 speed. If you are shopping for one make sure you get a front bearing support that works for your application.

Jack, It looks like I have the same box Chris has pictured above. It is a 5 speed, not the new box that is pictured on their site ( I think is a six speed )
I understand there is a wait for the RBT 5 speed. If you are shopping for one make sure you get a front bearing support that works for your application.
So you have a ZF or RBT 5 speed, but did you get it from De Lynn ( Griffin?) as some of your previous posts suggest? No skin off my nose, not interested in buying, just trying to get a clear pic of what you actually have!

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Hi, I have an RBT 5sp From DeLynn, almost $22000 can. This ZF / RBT thing I don't fully understand. I evolution has made a lot of variations.

Back