Gear ratios

G

i use a Renault gear box om my GTD with 21 turbo gears. Does someone knows if it is possible to change the final gear and to buy one. I think the ratios are too short, top speed is 260kp/h at 6200 rpm the engine can't support much more ! (351wSVO 350 bhp).
Thanks for your experiences ....

I have a very nice CWP from a Renault 21 Turbo for sale. 3.88 : 1

visit me at ds-vitesse.com

regards,

Harry

I guess you are talking about the 5th gear? Its a 0.82 ratio. When I had a 1 peice shaft and new gears made up, I thought about changing the 5th gear as well. But I figured the 260kph is plenty fast enough, although Im lookinig at a 6500 redline. I would have past most things on the open road by then!!
BUT what I did think of, and probably will do, is make the gear a bigger in size one. At the moment, its the most loaded gear in the box (apart from the pinion gear etc) And its physical size is the smallest in the box as well. One only has to visit other web sites that feature the R21T box and see guys photos of stripped 5th gears. So whats the solution? Well the gear is 18mm wide at the moment. I plan to get new ones made that are 22mm wide. This represents a 22% increase in gear size and accompanying surface area. I can have it made in any ratio I need as well, but I'll stick with the 0.82 as I can at least still have power left to accelerate than if I had say a 0.63 or so gear.

Back