Gold colour P1016 Help please

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hello everyone.
I’m building a replica of the Mk2 Holman Moody No.5 P1016.
But I struggle to find the correct gold paint. I have info on Aniversary Gold ‘66, Ancien Gold ‘66, Candy Gold...

Any takers on paint ?

Kind regards
Morten

Last edited:

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi Bob, yes thank you. At the moment I’m thinking of traveling to Boulder, CO for the No.5. Will email Shelby museum if they can assist with the gold paint composition.

I’m not very familiar with the GMP, but looking online they look remarkably well made.

Kind regards
Morten

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Claude Nahum used to own Number 5
He used to be available on this site and was a great bloke and would assist wherever possible.
Perhaps find him in the members list and send him a PM to request the paint codes.

Ian

Claude Nahum used to own Number 5
He used to be available on this site and was a great bloke and would assist wherever possible.
Perhaps find him in the members list and send him a PM to request the paint codes.

Ian

Indeed a great bloke, he replied to my emails a few years ago regarding the colour of his other GT40 and even contacted his painter to try an get the exact colour formula for me I am sure if he is able he will help.

Nick

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Thanks Bob, the Gold colour is really difficult to figure out. Some interviews with HM mechanics said they just took an off the shelf Ford gold back in ‘66.
Some say... It popped like a bar of gold in the sunshine. Like ‘66 Aniversary Gold from the 50 Mustangs. But who knows...
Will have some samples sprayed up over different primer colours.
The Superformance Gold composition will be good to see mixed up. And the Ford P and Nostalgic Gold

Thanks for the Offer Bob, but for now all spare cash goes into the builds:)

Morten

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
Morten, Maybe you are looking for Gold and not one of the Ford colors used in the early 60's. Just looking at paint codes the one that looks like your Gold is the 1961 Ford color Algiers Bronze, I attached a car painted in that color or it could be the 1966 Ford color Antique Bronze Poly. which has a metallic in it to pop in the sun light. You can do a web search of both colors and see samples of each. I'm guessing to what the color is but I looked for a long time to find my paint code for my car and I'm glad I did.

Attachments

• 1571232799091.png
    1571232799091.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 423
  • Algiers Bronze.JPG
    Algiers Bronze.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 428

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Thank you Don, I’ve done many searches on Ford ‘66 colours. Problem is to get the compositions from the codes. Love your build!

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi Frank, yes definitely worth it. I want to test the superformance colour and the ‘66 Ford colour as well. Steve Earle my painter wants to try different basecoats as they makes a big difference in final paint.
I’m offshore till 1st November. No mobile phones there.
If you google «Heidrun platform» you’ll see my home for the next two weeks.

Morten

Doug Dyar

Supporter
Have you investigated the gold used for the stripes on the '66 Hertz Shelby Mustangs? It's a color they might have had lying around.

Oops - just realized this car was entered by Holman Moody rather than Shelby American. Still, it's a gold from back in the day, and might be worth looking into.

Last edited:

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Thank you, I havent specifically looked too much at the Hertz Mustangs Gold, but its been lurking in the back of my mind alittle.
I’ve sent an email to Holman & Moody if they can help in any way with the P1016 colour.
I still think it was an off the shelf ‘65-‘66 Ford colour they used.
Morten

Back