gone and bought a box

hello people in my computer, i've just bought a box on ebay, maybe ok?
i've been looking for a cheap box for my locost, and audi seemed cheapest. i had never heard of 01e,016, dwa etc a month ago. but i've been looking on the web and found all the info conflicting, or so many codes, models etc that it's hard to decide. so i just bought one safe in the knowledge that, if it's no good, i can sell it and learn something :uneasy:
i bought a box from an audi a4 s line 1.8t 55k 2002, for £80.
will this be an 01e? if not, can i use it to mock build my chassis, ie, are the dimentions similar, and do the driveshafts come out at the same distance from the front of the bellhousing? (that's if you know what box this is)!!
also, the bellhousings, are they the same bolt pattern for the v models? i doubt it, but arn't they integral with the box casing? can you get adaptor plates for both in line and v boxes( if they're diffrent)?
seeing as i want to bolt it up to a stock (cheap 2nd hand) 302, would i be better off looking for a v box?
thanks in advance........(remember when you didn't know what you do now?):embarassed: cheers, glen

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Glen,

Do yourself a BIG favor and slow down. You'll be pleasantly surprised at what you'll learn by doing just the smallest bit of research before you purchase some parts... not to mention how much you'll save yourself.

Give the Search tool a quick try; I think you'll be in a much happier place...

Good luck with your build!

T.

not yet, will post pics when i get it. i've read that the 012 box is quite a weak box, but i bought one that i can sell on.
i want to know about dimensions and if it it uses the same drive shafts. then i can use the 012 to seat the engine in the right place, and check rear suspension set up. then buy a better box later in the build.

i've just read that the non turbo cars were fitted with the 012, turbo'd cars had the 016. can anyone verify?

No, depends on model and year. A4 never had an 016 if I remember right.
Most people say turbo 016 have better ratio's.

Here are dimensions from a 016 (credits to Chris P)
attachment.php

attachment.php

It's likely an 012 gearbox and very weak. The 016 gearbox was not used in any vehicle since 1991. The 012 dimensionally is different than the 01E, 016, or 02A so using that for a dimensional reference won't help you much as you'll have to use different mountings, different axles if you plan to put a different gearbox in there.

cheers scott, i'll look for another, still, i can make on this box, so i've learned something and made money!!

Back