Grounded in self isolation

Howard Jones

Supporter
Texas Version
HPIM2490.JPG

Hi Jac,
How are you doing down South, at least you have plenty of meat wandering around your paddocks if you can get past all their names. We are doing it alright here, we are in a good space with plenty of food, car parts are in short supply. I have just enough 2k thinners to put the final coat of Red on the FJ tomorrow. Meanwhile I have been doing a small amount of work each day, got to make it last.
Cheers
Russell

Hi Russ, Jac and everyone else, Fran and i are in the same boat over here on the sunshine coast, the hospital put me on total lock down a fortnight ago, fran is still working but her office is locked down and her 3 girls follow strict bio measures, so i should be pretty safe.
so for something to do while the engine is away getting a birthday i started rubbing the 23 down for a fresh and proper coat of paint, i did it myself the last time and it was never as good as it should have been, so my son will paint for me this time and ill get a pro job, only down side is he wants an 800 grit finish bugger. oh well ive got nothing else to do,
stay safe everyone.
cheers John

Hi Russell , John & others.... Donna & I joked the other day that we might have to up our game & go out more to meet the restrictions... No point really as the two restaurants we do frequent are closed as well. This over 65/70 rule is the killer, if I comply with that Im not allowed out the gate! Cant get away with much, was getting mail last week & decided to count number of cars in one minute on SH1 (3 ), Daughter must of driven past & sent message asking what I was up to....told her I was trying to Escape!!!.. have had to get her to do the weekly grocery shop, as if she has not got enough to do already. Plenty to do here, big 100 year pine fell over, so been busy on chain saw & splitter, bit wary of doing tractor/slasher work, some vigilant hero might consider it dangerous and require help from emergency services that might be needed elsewhere. Was reading some old WW2 letters that Dad & his Mum exchanged while he was in Canada training back then and thinking how quickly we have reverted back toward similar conditions and restrictions like those they operated under back then, hopefully if we get on top of this deal it will be temporary. Stay safe and work on the 2 meter rule, might be like this for a while yet.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...Donna & I joked the other day that we might have to up our game & go out more to meet the restrictions... No point really as THE TWO RESTAURANTS WE DO FREQUENT are closed as well. This over 65/70 rule is the killer... have had to get (daughter) to do the weekly grocery shop, as if she has not got enough to do already....

Welcome to my world!

Our youngest daughter lives right here in town. Four(?) weeks ago, she called and pretty much ORDERED US not to leave the house (we are now the kids - SHE is the parent ;))! She insisted we give her a grocery list, etc., etc., etc., and she'd do all the shopping...which she has. She will again deliver 'provisions' tomorrow (after having put them 'in quarantine' over the past 3 days so that any virus that may have been on any of the packaging will have died off). Needless to say, she receives a healthy 'tip' with each delivery...which REALLY ticked her off at first...but, she's had no choice. I laid down the law on that. Either she accepted the money or I'd be out doing shopping myself. I meant it and she knew it.

As in your case (and I imagine the case for just about everybody), our two favorite restaurants are closed...as are all the others except for those that provide takeout orders. And just like you, I've counted the number of cars going by our house AND those going by on the freeway about three/four miles away 'as the crow flies' (we live at the top of a hill). Traffic on our street is virtually ZERO...and freeway traffic mirrors that of the 1950's in volume...except for the fact that presently a good 50% of it is comprised of 18/22 wheelers.

An aside:
When the blood test that determines if one HAS HAD the virus without knowing it is available locally, I'm going to see if I can have it done. 'Reason being; I had what I thought was viral bronchitis over the first two weeks of February (I've had it before). Many of the symptoms are are the same for both COVID-19 and V.B. If it turns out I have had corona, I plan to donate plasma. I believe it'll be safe for me to leave the house at that point! ;)

Stay safe, All.

Howard Jones

Supporter
You know I also did have a very bad cough in early to mid January. I did two courses of antibiotics back to back (20 days in a row) then it went away and I've been fine ever since. At the time my doctor tested me for the annual flue but it was negative as well was as a strep test. He was pretty much certain I had a virus at the time but couldn't determine which one. At that time there was very little concern of this COVID one and no cases in Texas, possibly the entire US. I think I'll follow your lead and get tested when there is plenty of test kits to go around.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I also had a ~3wk flu in Jan which makes me want to know if I've had it. It was a butt-kicker. I've been thinking about donating blood as well but have yet to do so.

...I did two courses of antibiotics back to back (20 days in a row) then it went away...

I'm not a doctor but I play one on the internet. I believe bacterial issues are battled with antibiotics, viral issues are not. If the antibiotics fixed your issue, it probably wasn't COVID, so please remain very careful. Some of the stories I've been hearing lately are pretty depressing, like this one:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/us/washi … index.html

Stay healthy my friends!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
"I believe bacterial issues are battled with antibiotics, viral issues are not." (- C.K.)

...and I believe you're 100% correct. However, a French Doc (Didier Raoult) has, for some reason, supposedly treated about 100 of his patients with a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin which resulted in knocking COVID-19 in the creek in about 5 or 6 days...so, who knows. Maybe THIS virus has some vulnerability to antibiotics...or at least it might in combo with hydroxy.

Now, that SAID, taking hydroxychloroquine by itself (or perhaps it was chloroquine...I don't recall) as evidently yielded the same result.

'Beats the stuffings out of me...

Howard Jones

Supporter
I am not a doctor but I do understand that the primary cause of death related to the flue and COVID 19 for that matter is respiratory distress caused by the body's immune system reaction to an increase in bacteria (pneumonia) in the lungs. Early mitigation of the pneumonia will prevent the massive immune system reaction/attract in the lungs.

So it may have been COVID and I may have had a bacterial infection in my lungs or upper respiratory tract. That was what the antibiotics cleared. The COVID may have simply run its course as that was happening.

TOTAL conjecture, I admit that.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I am not a doctor but I do understand that the primary cause of death related to the flue and COVID 19 for that matter is respiratory distress caused by the body's immune system reaction to an increase in bacteria (pneumonia) in the lungs. Early mitigation of the pneumonia will prevent the massive immune system reaction/attract in the lungs.

So it may have been COVID and I may have had a bacterial infection in my lungs or upper respiratory tract. That was what the antibiotics cleared. The COVID may have simply run its course as that was happening.

TOTAL conjecture, I admit that.

Who really knows, Howard.

But, we do know hydroxychloroquine has repeatedly kicked COVIS-19's butt in case after case wherein it's been prescribed...even in critical, 'late stage' situations.

So, what I do not understand is why some 'experts'(?!) are wringing their hands over using hydroxy now and, instead, 'are insisting there needs to be endless studies to SEE if it's effective and 'safe' first. 'Pure idiocy, IMPO. The stuff's been used by millions of people over the last 60 years and, reportedly, it's been used w/o incident. Therefore, the overwhelming evidence we already have, both evidentiary and anecdotal, would lead any reasonable person to believe there's no need for months/years of studies/trials.

Buuuuut, like you, I'm not a medical professional. I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (lately!). So, what th' heck could I possibly know...

If hydroxy does have some value(I do hope it does) against covid 19 then why are both Ra and Lupus patients who have been on it for years getting and dying from covid 19? That was the position of a Dr. who has been treating patients for years with hydroxy.
I had a really good friend who was prescribed an off label use drug therapy several years ago.It cooked his liver along with many other patients.That drug was used for another purpose safely for many years also. Hes gone and so is the drug. The drug became the subject of lawyer ads.
Im just saying its WAY to early to tout hydroxy as a cure for covid 19. I have family members who are fighting this virus as we speak. I just wish for more PPE. A cure would be fantastic.Keeping our health workers safe is just as important.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
If hydroxy does have some value(I do hope it does) against covid 19 then why are both Ra and Lupus patients who have been on it for years getting and dying from covid 19?

'Darned if I know, DJ. This IS the first I've heard of that. 'Perhaps they had other underlying health issues as well?

Regardless, that doesn't trump/alter/change the unquestionable success being experienced by others who've taken hydroxy for '19.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I've taken a bit of physics and math in my time, but when my wife was studying for her degree in nursing I remember taking a look at one of her molecular biology text books...……………...I put it right down and made dinner. WAY WAY beyond my lane.

The good news is the amount of research being done on virus's as a result of this crisis will produce breakthroughs in the next few years (maybe one or two) that otherwise, more than likely, would have taken decades. Researchers now are being given enough funding to be able to explorer multiple paths at the same time whereas before they were restricted to a few most likely avenues. And those needed to end with drugs that produced profits.

Just look at the advances that came from the moon race in so short a period of time.

Howard Jones

Supporter
So...………..I'm out in the garage fixing a small oil leak on my SLC and after that I'm going to make a vertical rack for the front and rear body work to ride around on. No more in the middle of the floor for them. Then it's a ramp lighting project for my trailer. I bought all the material a few weeks ago. I suspect a lot of us are doing many little projects that have been waiting for time to do them.

Stay home and wash your hands.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Reading through the posts and am glad all seem to be well. I have had some great seat time. I live a couple of blocks away from a major parkway, the car being right hand drive has allowed me to get comfortable on the entrance ramps. I respect the stay at home thing but I am alone in the car and there is nobody on the streets. After 3 years of work on the car it seems to be right on point.

Again, all the best of health to everyone! Can't wait till this gets closer to normal.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Who really knows, Howard.

But, we do know hydroxychloroquine has repeatedly kicked COVIS-19's butt in case after case wherein it's been prescribed...even in critical, 'late stage' situations.

So, what I do not understand is why some 'experts'(?!) are wringing their hands over using hydroxy now and, instead, 'are insisting there needs to be endless studies to SEE if it's effective and 'safe' first. 'Pure idiocy, IMPO. The stuff's been used by millions of people over the last 60 years and, reportedly, it's been used w/o incident. Therefore, the overwhelming evidence we already have, both evidentiary and anecdotal, would lead any reasonable person to believe there's no need for months/years of studies/trials.

Buuuuut, like you, I'm not a medical professional. I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (lately!). So, what th' heck could I possibly know...

I see that Sweden has stopped using Chloroquine due to adverse side effects and that the French results/study have been called into question.

Personally, I would not take anything that has not been subjected to rigorous and repeatable trials.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I see that Sweden has stopped using Chloroquine due to adverse side effects and that the French results/study have been called into question.

Personally, I would not take anything that has not been subjected to rigorous and repeatable trials.

They used chloroquine, not HYDROXYchloroquine. The latter is a 'weaker' form of the former - or so I've been told. That may account for the "side effects"...that and/or the patients had other 'issues'/underlying conditions...or were taking other meds for other issues at the same time which reacted adversely with the chloloquine. There haven't been any reports from other locales (of which I'm aware) wherein similar results presented themselves.

Incidentally, "two tablets of chloroquine" doesn't really tell us what the actual DOSE was. Perhaps it was too high?

Last edited:
Back