Group44 XJR5 Chassis #012/ GT40 is next!

Hello Everyone,
I guess I took a bit of a nap in the area of the XJR5 project. We are still working on final engine installation. The engine is complete, I was supposed to take the car back south for the engine in mid-december and the snow here has been rediculous this year....more than 7 feet already and not to the end of December yet. So January is what we are looking at now.
To answer some of the questions in these posts...
My car is chassis#012, the one for sale is chassis#011. Both of these two cars are built from the spare parts. Neither car has history or was even a car when the project was in motion from 1982 to 1987 (XJR5s from 82-85 and XJR7s from 86 to 87 ...with one appearance in 88 Daytona 24 hours for the XJR7....TWR took over after that)...
There were 11 chassis's built all in and around 1982 -1984. Chassis 011 spent its life in the attic at the Group 44 shops in Winchester. It was pulled down to be built as a display car (with retired/broken parts) for a friend of one of the Jaguar executives that had pull with Bob Tullius. Chassis 011 then spent its time in a restaurant.. hence the "Salad Bar Car". When the restaurant went out of business, Walter Hill purchase the car and had it shipped back to Group 44 where it received a complete restoration and running gear that worked as a proper racing car. Walter Hill sold much of his collection several years ago. My chassis was built in 1996 specifically for my project by Group 44 and tagged #012. My car is really as the Daytona 24 hour cars would have looked. The Miami car has just one headlight on the right side which is what the 011 car depicts. Of the total of twelve cars, two were destroyed in testing accidents during the campaign leaving ten cars total left today. Lanky has struggled to remember which chassis numbers were destroyed. I know where numbers 001, 004 (some confusion between 004 and 009??), 006, 007, 008, 010, 011 and of course 012 are. Bob Tullius sold most of the Group 44 cars that he had just a few years ago. Jim Busby and Rick Knoop purchased 001 and 010 and did an absolutely beautiful job restoring them to better than the condition that the cars ran in as current racing cars in the 80's.
Hope that answers a few questions and I will update again shortly !!

Keith

Mike, thanks so much for the very informative update. These very beautiful historic cars are so worth the effort you have put into them. My one wish is to see them in Europe in the flesh so to speak. :thumbsup:

Mike, thanks so much for the very informative update. These very beautiful historic cars are so worth the effort you have put into them. My one wish is to see them in Europe in the flesh so to speak. :thumbsup:

Been 'ragging' mine around the UK and Europe for the last 10 years!
Check out the 3 races in the UK + others for this year and pics from previous years Home
The old girl is run seriously hard. If it breaks we fix or replace. We look to do a nose a year and a box rebuild once or twice a year with ratio changes per the next circuit. Even Lanky had to laugh at the Copenhagen GP result a couple of years back!

Keith

Been 'ragging' mine around the UK and Europe for the last 10 years!
Check out the 3 races in the UK + others for this year and pics from previous years Home
The old girl is run seriously hard. If it breaks we fix or replace. We look to do a nose a year and a box rebuild once or twice a year with ratio changes per the next circuit. Even Lanky had to laugh at the Copenhagen GP result a couple of years back!

Really sorry I didn't realise but I'm not really mobile these days and don't have the funds to attend much anymore. There are two things I must do in 2011 if only because I believe it will be a last chance so to speak. The first is to go to a meeting where I can see Graham's 917 in action and the second is: same but with yours. Can you please talk to each other and let me know when (if) you'll be on the same bill in the UK in 2011?

I would really appreciate it.. thanks Keith

Chassis #012 is loaded and transported for the engine that we have been waiting for such a long time for !!!

I have many pics of the Jags at Sebring and Daytona on my flickr pages. If you go to the list of races on the left of the main page you can view them.

Flickr: URY914's Photostream

The photo below is from Daytona 1986. The orange blur in front of the rear wheel is a orange traffic cone that is setting on the apex of the corner.

Attachments

• scan0031.jpg
    scan0031.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 279
Back