Group44 XJR5 Chassis #012/ GT40 is next!

Chris Kouba

Supporter
And then... The finished product.

Here are a few shots of the car at Amelia Island

Amelia%20Island%20Concours%20de%27Elegance%203-15-09%20001.jpg

Amelia%20Island%20Concours%20de%27Elegance%203-15-09%20005.jpg

Amelia%20Island%20Concours%20de%27Elegance%203-15-09%20013.jpg

495210959_QKi2S-M.jpg

Really awsome! I feel for you on the timeline. Planned, studied and gathered components for a project for over 10 years and had it all taken away by misfortune! Building an RCR SL-C now. Very happy!

I want to thank Chris Kouba for posting all of the pictures on this thread. I am not good with computers and have been meaning to learn how to post them for some time. Chris had me email the pictures to him (surprised I could do that) Thanks again Chris I really appreciate your help !!!
Mike

Chris Kouba

Supporter
You're more than welcome Mike and it was purely selfish- I wanted to see the pictures as much as the next guy!

It appears these are staying linked and viewable, but in case the links appear as the little red X's, you can find the pics at:

Group44 XJR5 Chassis #012 Album

Now if you would be so kind as to get some VIDEO shot with the car making sweet noises in motion, I'd also be happy to help get that posted!!

What a great job. I remember seeing the body and parts for sale in the mid 1990's. They sent pictures and description, and I thought I might still have them, but so far I can't find any. I had an engine for it, but little else, and obviously not near enough resources to do the build justice as you have, but boy was I tempted! After seeing and reading what you've done, I'm jealous - but glad I didn't cobble something up. Have fun with it.
Jim

Thanks Jim...it has been fun but long !

Thank you Dob as well...I am glad you posted because I forgot about the warning lights....I will handle that this week !! How is #006 running ??

Mike

Mike that is one beautiful ride, one of my favorite cars of all time. I would go to the Laguna Seca IMSA races JUST to see and HEAR that car run. One of the reasons I bought an SLC was because of these cars....I wish I had the dough to have installed a V12 in it but such are our choices in life.

Congrats on finishing your dream car.

Thanks Mesa...same with me as far as going to the track just to see and hear these cars...Watkins Glen for us. I talked to Fran at RCR about putting a Jag V12 into an SLC...the engine is really long. 36 inches long...Fran said it would not fit but would be a great sound !!! Good luck with the SLC...that is an awesome car !!
Mike

Keith

I hate it when interesting projects like this just seem to "disappear" from view, but I suspect that some members here probably know what has happened to the car in the past year since they seem to have been involved in part of the restoration process.

However, whilst trawling through the web looking at classic race cars and muttering "what if" I came across this:

Look familiar?

Now, it appears for sale @ £395,000 (approx. €475,580 or $620,150) via these people: Jaguar XJR-5 V12 Group 44 for sale, classic cars for sale uk (Car: 88746)

So, how did this happen? How did this awesome project end up in the UK and why after all the work that Mike put in?

Just trying to complete the circle.. :)

Attachments

• XJR-5 CC.jpg
    XJR-5 CC.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 371
  • XJR-5 2 CC.jpg
    XJR-5 2 CC.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 322

Keith

Might not be the same car but they are using pics of his car in the advert (can they do that? It's clearly Amelia Island in the background of "their" photo), but they've also posted this engine shot which doesn't appear in Mikes album. Frankly it could be just about any Weber/TB motor - and probably is give the provenance of their other pictures...

I think what confused me is that Chris Kouba alluded to the project being "finished" in April last year but presumably that didn't include the motor.

I'm glad Mike's still got it - I may well take a trip over to East Sussex tomorrow and check the OTHER #4 out... :)

Attachments

• Jag Motor.jpg
    Jag Motor.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 319
Keith ,
I am glad Mike still has it too as its been a real labour of love for him.

The pic on the right is certainly a different car from the one pictured on the grass at Amelia(Mikes)..different wheels and stripes on the wing endplates...etc etc ..

Chris Kouba

Supporter
...what confused me is that Chris Kouba alluded to the project being "finished" in April last year...

My apologies as that was purely an assumption on my part. I figured as it was being displayed (even a pic with its headlights illuminated) that it was finished.

Chris

Awesome. What intrigued me were the inner headlamps pointed outward to presumably light the edges of the race track better. Was this unique?

Keith

Keith ,
I am glad Mike still has it too as its been a real labour of love for him.

The pic on the right is certainly a different car from the one pictured on the grass at Amelia(Mikes)..different wheels and stripes on the wing endplates...etc etc ..

Well spotted Fran. They are identical apart from the rear wing, wheels and front clip. However, the photo on the left of my post is definitely Mikes car at Amelia and is used by the Classic Car sales site.

Here's a thought. Was Mikes car (bodyshell) in the US and the chassis of Walter Hill's car in the UK actually originally intended to be mated? Both seem to have completed the relevant "unused" parts from the Group 44 XJR-5 program and both have chosen to replicate the 1984 Miami IMSA winner 04.

If true, where are the 2 original XJR-5's?

Fascinating stuff :)

Hi, beautiful cars, I loved those LMP Jags. I have a question, I see the engine in Mikes car is a single OHC. I thought the Silk Cut jags were DOHC engines, Are they different model cars or is Mikes car not have the genuine engine. I will be straight, I don't know alot about the Jags and if I'm way off please let me Know but I saw a cutaway picture of the Silk Cut car And I'm sure it was a twin camer.
Cheers Leonmac

Keith

I have a feeling that only the "doomed" XJ13 project had Jaguar DOHC. All subsequent V12's were SOHC, until the Jaguar V6 (nee MG Metro 6R4 nee Rover V8) twin turbo version which was indeed a DOHC.

Please feel free to correct me if this is erroneous info. :)

Here's a thought. Was Mikes car (bodyshell) in the US and the chassis of Walter Hill's car in the UK actually originally intended to be mated? Both seem to have completed the relevant "unused" parts from the Group 44 XJR-5 program and both have chosen to replicate the 1984 Miami IMSA winner 04.

If true, where are the 2 original XJR-5's?

Fascinating stuff :)[/QUOTE]

The Miami car is 006 and has been run hard in Europe for the past decade
Even won the Copenhagen GP a couple of years back against modern machinary! Needs a new engine cover now as its had tooooo many hits; final straw was when it (well most of it) ripped off at Paul Ricard in France a couple of months back. At 185MPH it took off to over 40' before coming back down.
So if Mike has a spare engine cover!...
Where is 006 now? in my garage awaiting the 2011 season, a gearbox rebuild, panels repaired and painted, crack testing etc etc etc.

Back